My stereo kinda "clicked" last night...

As in, everything has come into place.

First off, the gear is still pretty much everything I had the last time I posted. KEF Q150s, NAD C352, Velodyne VA-907, homebuilt stands, Technics SL3200 with a Shure M97xE, cheapo Sony CD/DVD player, and my Lafayette receiver playing the part of tuner. :)

So after reading a post about not having tall stuff in between the speakers, I decided to move the rack off to the side. It turned into a multi-day project as I tried to brainstorm around some problems and decide which compromises to make, which I'll spare y'all from hearing. basically, the speaker cables were too short and I had to do some serious reorganizing after I had finished putting everything in place, among other things.

Long story short, I was questioning whether or not this would be worth the gain, which I had assumed would be minor if noticeable. But after starting my Beatles White album CD, my jaw dropped and the work of the last few days showed. Once I had perfected placement, use of the port plugs and tuned in the sub, everything clicked into place and it sounds really incredible! Super clean and clear from top to bottom, the sound stage is expansive and DEEP. It extends well beyond the speakers and is pinpoint accurate. on a certain song where in the past I thought Paul was playing bass (can't remember what song at the moment, I'll come back and tell you later) I realized that it was actually coming from about a foot to his right, and a few feet back. In Savoy Truffle if I recall correctly, the drum set is mastered to sound like you are sitting there and you can actually hear the individual drums where they would be if you were playing. Revolution 9 is WAY more freaky now too. ;)

I'll post more thoughts later after I have some more time with it, but I wanna listen to music right now!

I am experiencing a bit of midbass thickness, but nothing too terrible. Small issue in light of the massive improvements everywhere else! I'll post pictures ASAP and maybe you guys will be able to see something obviously wrong that is causing that. :)

I'll also say a HUGE thank you to all of you who helped me on here! If it wasn't for you guys helping me spend money I barely had, I probably would have "upgraded" to a Bluetooth speaker or something by now, and my ears thank you for that. ;)

Micah :)

Comments

• mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    DSkip wrote: »
    Are you sitting that close?

Not quite, the chair leans way back so it seems closer than it is. but that is where the speakers are at about an equilateral triangle, which is what I've seen recommended a lot elsewhere... I still am not quite done experimenting with different placements, both speaker and listening spot. :)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Lookin good Micah
  • Manticore
    Manticore Posts: 408
    Yeah that's looking real nice. We have to remember its a bedroom with a bed & other assorted furniture. Much better than past photos young padawan!!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • mlistens03
    Thanks man! sounding good too! ;)

This is probably gonna be what I listen to for a good long time as I start driving and have to pay for a car, gas, insurance, etc... And based on what I'm hearing I'm OK with that! :smiley:
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I thought from the title that you were having a "clicking" problem, good to know it meant that things were "clicking." If music be the food of love, click on.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2019
    I think the magic is in your NAD's power. B)

I love your grandpa and yours speaker stands. B)

Love my C370 Int. too!

http://www.hifi-review.com/150331-nad-c352.html

All hail NAD. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    pictures... :)
    8xlaqx13h7sa.jpg
    ntnooh2jdv78.jpg

A Pink Floyd poster......you have good taste. B)

Friendly tip, add spikes to your stands.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited June 2019
    Not quite, the chair leans way back so it seems closer than it is. but that is where the speakers are at about an equilateral triangle, which is what I've seen recommended a lot elsewhere... I still am not quite done experimenting with different placements, both speaker and listening spot. :)

Well, since the chair looks to have casters, it's easy enough to scoot back and see if it sounds better further away.
  • mlistens03
    dromunds wrote: »
    I thought from the title that you were having a "clicking" problem, good to know it meant that things were "clicking." If music be the food of love, click on.

Oh, I didn't even think about it being taken that way! not at all! :)
    Are you sitting that close?

My point was not a criticism but a query. If you sit close you should consider toe in with the speakers. Kef is a little different but with almost every concentric driver I’ve found they sound best at or near on-axis.

The setup looks great and is a far cry from the Aiwa boom box I had at that age.

I'll try some toe in on the speakers, in the past I've found it much nicer straight into the room. It was a bit too bright toed in, and the sound stage is wider when they aren't, although I didn't try them like that here! :)

If it wasn't for y'all here I'd still be listening to some cheapo Onkyos, so that is very much appreciated! I'm certainly blessed with some sweet stereo gear (and great guys to help me set it up!). :)

Tony M wrote: »
    I think the magic is in your NAD's power. B)

I love your grandpa and yours speaker stands. B)

Love my C370 Int. too!

http://www.hifi-review.com/150331-nad-c352.html

All hail NAD. :)

Very well could be! That thing sounds amazing. I'm hoping for a preamp for my birthday, which should bring even more out of it! :)
    F1nut wrote: »
    pictures... :)

A Pink Floyd poster......you have good taste. B)

Friendly tip, add spikes to your stands.

That I do! few of my friends do, however. I was exposed to rock at a young age (driving down the road with my Dad listening to the Beatles is a very fond memory!) and was hooked. I've really expanded my library to pretty much everything in the past year or so. :)
    Spikes are a project for another day! I'll get around to it... ;)
    Clipdat wrote: »

Well, since the chair looks to have casters, it's easy enough to scoot back and see if it sounds better further away.

Yep, no biggie. Last night after moving around a bit, I decided it sounds better a foot or so back from where I was. By the way, Thanks for the comment on that Skip! Wouldn't have probably found that had you not mentioned it. :)
  • Clipdat
    I'm hoping for a preamp for my birthday, which should bring even more out of it! :)

How would adding a preamp to an integrated "bring even more out of it"?
  • mlistens03
    I'm hoping for a preamp for my birthday, which should bring even more out of it! :)

How would adding a preamp to an integrated "bring even more out of it"?

The amplifier and preamplifier sections are separable. I am placing my bets on a pre amp upgrade, and basically converting the NAD into a power amplifier. Maybe my logic is flawed...
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    My suggestion for that is to get the best pre you can afford looking toward the future. If you are set on doing separates that is.
    Alternatively if you could spend about $1k, I would highly recommend you get a Niagara 1200.
  • mlistens03
    The birthday budget at our house is somewhere between $150 and $300, I'm never really sure. I was thinking with that much money that a preamp would be the best candidate for upgrade, except for maybe my CDP, although I was thinking I could wait a couple years and pick one up for literally nothing. There's a Adcom GFP-565 on Craigslist for $150 I think, and it is actually just a half hour down the road IIRC (I can't check now my tablet is set to only let me on the forum) which is what I'm hoping for.

I realize I'm counting chickens before they hatch here, but I sent it to my dad and am hoping that he'll get it for me. If it doesn't happen then it definitely ain't the end of the world, it's not like the NAD currently sounds bad! 😉

After my birthday I will have to be completely DONE with audio for a long while most likely, so I'm gonna make this one count! 😉
  • Clipdat
    Adcom GFP-565 on Craigslist for $150

I doubt that would be an improvement. Just stick with the NAD as is, and save up for a PS Audio Stellar stack at some point in the future.
  • mlistens03

I doubt that would be an improvement. Just stick with the NAD as is, and save up for a PS Audio Stellar stack at some point in the future.

But that's the thing; there won't be any audio purchases in the future, for a long time (excluding deals at say GoodWill which don't cost much). I am going to have to pay for gas, insurance, and if I'm headed long distances food as well, and I'm realizing that this stuff is REALLY expensive. not to mention the initial cost of a car... Maybe once I have a job then it'll be enough to pay for everything I need and then the stuff I want, but I'm thinking that's not the case.

So anything I get has to be relatively affordable and something my dad can find and buy for me... this birthday is my last hoorah. :)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952

I'm sorry Drew but this made me chuckle. You realize the kid is like 16 right? I think that is at best a post college purchase, and by then other things will come along...hopefully!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited June 2019
    The birthday budget at our house is somewhere between $150 and $300, I'm never really sure. I was thinking with that much money that a preamp would be the best candidate for upgrade, except for maybe my CDP, although I was thinking I could wait a couple years and pick one up for literally nothing. There's a Adcom GFP-565 on Craigslist for $150 I think, and it is actually just a half hour down the road IIRC (I can't check now my tablet is set to only let me on the forum) which is what I'm hoping for.

I realize I'm counting chickens before they hatch here, but I sent it to my dad and am hoping that he'll get it for me. If it doesn't happen then it definitely ain't the end of the world, it's not like the NAD currently sounds bad! 😉

After my birthday I will have to be completely DONE with audio for a long while most likely, so I'm gonna make this one count! 😉

I have a NAD 1155 somewhere around here (came with my original SDA SRS pair). I recall it had a scratchy volume pot - I can dig it out, pop the cover and give it a basic servicing (maybe even a recap), deoxit the volume pot (Actually ALL the pots, which I’m pretty sure will fix the scratchy), and send it your way - no charge.

Stock photo:

zcwi2pqhv6c0.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mlistens03
    What are your interconnects?

All the ones that matter are AudioQuest Evergreen. Not the best, but better than generic. (Ones that matter being CD player and from my tablet, my turntable has a permanently connected generic cable that I can't replace and I don't care much about the tuner, I only listen to the radio for background music.) Speaker cables are Blue Jeans Belden, They are about a foot and a half short but I have a plan to fix that. I think I'm good on the cable front.

Being that I was wrong on the preamp, a CD player may be the best? My current one is a Sony DVP-NS700P I think, I can never remember. :)
  • dromunds
    ^^^ This is why this forum is great
  • mlistens03
    daddyjt wrote: »

I have a NAD 1155 somewhere around here (came with my original SDA SRS pair). I recall it had a scratchy volume pot - I can dig it out, pop the cover and give it a basic servicing (maybe even a recap), deoxit the volume pot (Actually ALL the pots, which I’m pretty sure will fix the scratchy), and send it your way - no charge.

Stock photo:

zcwi2pqhv6c0.jpeg

Oh wow, thanks! I'll ask my dad if it is OK!
    You guys are the best! :)
  • dromunds
    ^ You can't really refuse a birthday present now can you? o:)
  • mlistens03
    dromunds wrote: »
    ^ You can't really refuse a birthday present now can you? o:)

I definitely can't and wouldn't! but I gotta get permission from my dad (almost a definite yes!, I'm sure. :) )
  • Clipdat
    edited June 2019
    rooftop59 wrote: »

I'm sorry Drew but this made me chuckle. You realize the kid is like 16 right? I think that is at best a post college purchase, and by then other things will come along...hopefully!

Haha Paul, I don't know! I had a part time job when I was 16 and used prices for the Stellar gear aren't terrible.

I guess my main thought was that I don't see putting a $150 Adcom pre on an already admirably performing NAD integrated as a value add.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Get a better CD player.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    There's a Adcom GFP-565 on Craigslist for $150 I think, and it is actually just a half hour down the road IIRC.

Send me a link please.

• mlistens03
    edited June 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    There's a Adcom GFP-565 on Craigslist for $150 I think, and it is actually just a half hour down the road IIRC.

Send me a link please.

I'll find it! uno momento por favor...
    Can't find it, could have sold. I'll keep an eye out and let you know if it pops back up?
  • Clipdat
    F1nut wrote: »
    Get a better CD player.

I'd entertain selling him my Marantz CD6004.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Yea should have ran to buy it. Unless it was trashed the 565 is second to the 750 for adcom and a darn good pre for 150.00. They routinely go for much more on the auction site.