I may have just dug my own grave

Mattox86
Mattox86 Posts: 65
Just bought a set of RTi A5 speakers from Fry's at 150/speaker. What a great deal, so much so I didn't ask permission from the wife. This was a total impulse buy, but I'm pretty excited. Anyone been through this with their wife or gf and live to tell about it? Lol

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Too funny! I feel ya bro! Been there, plenty of times! :smile:

Give it time! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Mattox86 wrote: »
    Just bought a set of RTi A5 speakers from Fry's at 150/speaker. What a great deal, so much so I didn't ask permission from the wife. This was a total impulse buy, but I'm pretty excited. Anyone been through this with their wife or gf and live to tell about it? Lol

Nice first post. Have fun.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    Anyone been through this with their wife or gf and live to tell about it? Lol

Yes, in fact, so many times, I'm divorced now :D J/K

I had an arrangement with my wife, so long as there was affordability and I let her know I was going to order something, she didn't mind.

I've been in your shoes however and the best advice I can give is:

1) Tell her I said it was okay

2) Tell her that you had planned to and the deal was so good that you got carried away and pulled the trigger before you had a chance to "do the right thing"

One of the most important rules in this game when you have a "significant" other is, It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Never say "one more upgrade then I'm done"

Try to be aware of WAF, Wife Approval Factor, always let her know that you are keeping her in mind when placing your next order.

There is no such thing as "overkill" and too much is NEVER enough.

Welcome to Club Polk, nice purchase!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Geoff4rfc
    Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
    edited June 2019
    Anyone been through this with their wife or gf and live to tell about it? Lol

Yes, in fact, so many times, I'm divorced now :D J/K

I had an arrangement with my wife, so long as there was affordability and I let her know I was going to order something, she didn't mind.

I've been in your shoes however and the best advice I can give is:

1) Tell her I said it was okay

2) Tell her that you had planned to ask permission and the deal was so good that you got carried away and pulled the trigger before you had a chance to "do the right thing"

One of the most important rules in this game when you have a "significant" other is, It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!

Never say "one more upgrade then I'm done"

Try to be aware of WAF, Wife Approval Factor, always let her know that you are keeping her in mind when placing your next order.

There is no such thing as "overkill" and too much is NEVER enough.

Welcome to Club Polk, nice purchase!

Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • Mattox86
    Thanks for the support everyone. I knew I could count on this forum to ease my mind. Geoff4rfc, great advice. I have other Polk equipment and an SVS sub, which was like pulling teeth to have her be ok with it. I figured I'll be in the doghouse for a little bit, but it will cost more to return them, so I'm hopeful she'll get over it. She has stated she likes the Cherry veneer on my RTi a1's and CSi a4, so the a5 will have more to like, at least that what I'll keep telling myself haha.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    edited June 2019
    Welcome, and, man up :) This is the first of many such transgressions, and, you've come to the right place. We will enable the heck out of you!
  • Mattox86
    So what's the smarter way to handle this. Tell her about them before they arrive or just wait for the order to show up, or does it not matter?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    So what's the smarter way to handle this. Tell her about them before they arrive or just wait for the order to show up, or does it not matter?

When they show up, play dumb and say "what are these?" Pretend like you don't know what they are. decide that Christmas has come early and Santa has taken a liking to you. Maybe then she'll let you keep them. Or you'll die... one of the two.

Welcome man! :)
  • Mattox86
    Mlistens03, sometimes I wish my wife was that gullible.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited June 2019
    Not the way I handle my audio purchases.

My wife and I have an agreement. We will not purchase anything more than a couple of hundred without at least discussing it with each other. And if I really want it she most always says OK. Regardless of price.

This is the best advice I can give. It works well since I don't want a new Louis Vuitton showing up on my credit card that I was unaware of.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited June 2019
    Welcome to Club Polk, I hope you enjoy divorce court! ;):D But at least you will have your system to enjoy, unless the judge makes you give it to her.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Hmmm. you went for towers which will hurt way more when she decides where she is gong to place them. Ouch!
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Just show her a photo of the A9s that are also on sale and say you think you showed eminent restraint. And then go clean the bathrooms.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Don't take my advice... I promise you it ain't good! ;)
    Hmmm. you went for towers which will hurt way more when she decides where she is gong to place them. Ouch!

True that. This is what it's gonna be like (these are my dad's Eosones)
    dm0gcpzp8uj5.jpg
    :p
  • Mattox86
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    Don't take my advice... I promise you it ain't good! ;)

True that. This is what it's gonna be like (these are my dad's Eosones)
    dm0gcpzp8uj5.jpg
    :p

Thankfully there is only one place these towers can go in my small living room. None of which involves furniture being placed in front.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Sometimes it is easier to ask for forgiveness than permission!
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited June 2019
    Rookie! :D

Married for 30 years here. I love it when my wife brings me a box or package "for me" from the front porch "with that look in her eyes". :D

Maybe you can get her to make "Road trips" to pick up audio stuff. A bunch of us members do it quite often with our wives or husbands or whomever. Mostly the other ones couldn't give a hoot BUT it's a nice ride to see otherwise , sights we wouldn't have a reason to travel down those roads.

Verb just made another "Road trip" yesterday in fact. ;):) He bought a great set of Polk SDA-CRS's at a great bargain!
    I don't know if his wife went along again on this "Road trip" though.

Try bringing these Polk Big Boys home after snagging a great bargain on them without her knowing it. I have the SRS2s but they're out in another building. They'd be too big for my living room with my big entertainment units in there at the same time. :#
    Pic. from the web;
    7ugcvqxmb2ua.png

Well, you've picked a great brand of speakers and you've got a great brand of sub to go along with the Polk speakers.

NICE! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    That's why I never got married. I do as I see fit
  • monepolk
    monepolk Posts: 1,140
    edited June 2019
    ^^^I recognize that picture. Those puppies followed me home.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited June 2019

Here is where you need to know your spouse. Early on I would tell her and explain why the new speakers would sound better and where the money was coming from in the budget. After a few times, she just got used to me buying and selling and then just rolling her eyes to now only saying something if someone else asks, and then she will kind of roll her eyes but nothing terrible.

And to @cfrizz, if this is a divorceable offense then your marriage has much deeper problems. Now, if $300 means you can't pay the rent or you’ll be struggling trying to pay off the credit card for a year, then that’s a different story and you need to send them back lol...
    Post edited by rooftop59 on
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Done that more than once. Always find a way to escape the doghouse.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited June 2019
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Done that more than once. Always find a way to escape the doghouse.

I built my own dog house, well then i needed to outfit said dog house so i bought more gear.... If you have the right dog house set up then you enjoy being in it and then once again they are PO'd just the same.... They'll get over it
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I feel fortunate to have a wife who supports my hobby. She could care less about audio events like AXPONA, but she lets me go with no hassle.
  • Mattox86
    Haha, I'm not concerned about divorce, that would be ludacris. I am very picky about my battles. My wife doesn't understand my hobby, not to the point of buying speakers when I don't technically need them. I'll take my licks with this one. But I figured it would be funny to see some of the responses to my post given this is a common trend with this hobby.
  • Mattox86
    I'll post pics of my setup if I am still alive lol.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I usually tell her after I buy to be honest however I RARELY make big purchases. $300, hmm I might get away with it. Just have a gift ready or a date night planned.

Good luck!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Mattox86
    I usually tell her after I buy to be honest however I RARELY make big purchases. $300, hmm I might get away with it. Just have a gift ready or a date night planned.

Good luck!

That's exactly my thoughts on the matter. I already have a plan. The shipping time has allowed me to carefully plan this out haha.
  • Mattox86
    indyhawg wrote: »
    I feel fortunate to have a wife who supports my hobby. She could care less about audio events like AXPONA, but she lets me go with no hassle.

You are one of the lucky few I believe.