A new pact with my wife

Joey_V
Joey_V Posts: 8,505
I bumped into someone with whom I want to do an investment with.

Presented it to the wife and to appease her I came up with collateral for the investment in case of a total loss.

So I have put up my entire stereo system as collateral. If I post my gear on audiogon, you will know why.

Wish me luck!

(The things we do for family security huh?)
Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    You did WHAT?
    e9aooqa1ggc6.png
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Joey_V
    I would rather sacrifice my entire system for the good of the family.... hahaha

I’m crossing my fingers
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Understandable. Good on you and best of luck in this new venture Joey!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    What type of investment?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Amish pron?
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Pot farm?
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
  • CTTE
    CTTE Posts: 183
    It's some new glasses they want to bring to market.

xaklrvsb2a56.jpg
  • Derf
    Derf Posts: 229
    Google “Buffet S&P 500 index.” Follow his sage advice. Stay away from “friends” using OPM, even if they have some in the game.
    Integrated Amp: Marantz PM-10
    Speakers: Usher MD2
    Subwoofer: Rythmik F15HP
    DAC: North Star Design Supremo
    Streaming Source: AURALiC Aries Mini
    SACD Player: Marantz SA8004
    Power Source: PS Audio PP3 on dedicated 20amp circuit
  • warren
    warren Posts: 756
    I’m crossing my fingers... yeah that will really work...
    Some final words,
    "If you keep banging your head against the wall,
    you're going to have headaches."
    Warren
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
    Good luck. If the worst happens? We can all scrounge you up a system for in the meantime til you get back on your feet.
    Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited June 2019
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I would rather sacrifice my entire system for the good of the family.... hahaha

I’m crossing my fingers

then do it!!! I'll be over for the garage sell ;)

but seriously best of luck in what ever you choose to do!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    If you have to "put up" your stereo as collateral to appease your wife, one of two things is amiss. Either she really doesn't trust your decisions with money, or this is a fly-by-night idea. ;)
    Good luck with it.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2019
    I’m excited about the investment so hopefully works out. Could be a fly by night idea.

It’s a hedge fund. But it was offered to me so I had to take it, I’m gonna spot my brother and 2 other friends along who otherwise wouldn’t have had access to it in the first place... I figured if it were successful it would be good karma on me.

My wife has never been exposed to something like this so to appease her I had to make a solid collateral in case of failure.

It was interesting to see her reaction, at first she said I don’t know if I want you to lose the system because you might become depressed. But to me, the system is secondary to “time”. I would rather buy time to be with my family than to listen to my stereo anyway.
    Post edited by Joey_V on
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I've got $56 in my pocket. Tell me more.

I will put up some of Russ’s “warehouse” stash as my collateral.....

What say you?
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Best of luck Joey.
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Bernie Madoff is burned into my brain and I had nothing in his hedge fund nor knew anybody personally that had their saving invested with his firm. But I've seen the TV special on that POS, and jail or prison is just too nice of a place for him to relax.

Good luck Joey! ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Why does this thread bring back memories of Polkfarmboy?

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2019
    Tony M wrote: »
    Bernie Madoff is burned into my brain and I had nothing in his hedge fund nor knew anybody personally that had their saving invested with his firm. But I've seen the TV special on that POS, and jail or prison is just too nice of a place for him to relax.

Good luck Joey! ;)

My brother is telling me to watch the Wizard on HBO re Maddoff.

His name has gone through my head many times this past week

It would be sad if I lost no doubt
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Hey Joey......
    Just be a doctor and take care of your patients.
    Do you see your charges as a paycheck or your next validation of what you can afford?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Nothing wrong with a hedge fund...who doesn't try to hedge their bets. What type and who manages is a whole different story.

I wish you the best.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I don't need some broad telling me how to be miserable!
  • Joey_V
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Hey Joey......
    Just be a doctor and take care of your patients.
    Do you see your charges as a paycheck or your next validation of what you can afford?

I think I have been burned from not investing before which is why I learned my lesson to seize an opportunity.

I believe my income will be capped therefore any passive incomes would help.

I have been watching a lot of Maddof and ponzi scheme videos lately haha
  • Joey_V
    edited June 2019
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I don't need some broad telling me how to be miserable!

It’s not that. I just felt bad that I was taking money off the table and funding an investment that perhaps is not a typical one so I fronted my system as a guarantee that we will still be ok