Common ground amplifier

ddog
ddog Posts: 230
edited June 2019 in Electronics
Sorry if this has been answered before. I've searched the forums but have come up empty.

My question is..
I have a SimAudio Moon Titan HT-200 7ch amplifier and would like to know if it is a common ground amplifier...?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,089
    edited June 2019
    Best bet would be to get ahold of the folks at SimAudio and ask. Because it is fed by a single toroidal transformer, I am guessing that it is, but on an amp like that, I would ask first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • ddog
    Thanks man... I gave them a call this morning. Waiting on them to get back to me..

Thanks again.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I believe you can also use a multimeter and check the resistance between the terminals, but don't go with that until someone backs me up! :)
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited June 2019
    There are two transformers in the 5 and 7 channel versions of the amp. Only one transformer in the 3 channel version. Good idea to check on it to be sure given the fully balanced design it has. The owner’s manual does not say anything specific about grounding but does advise on how to share output between the channels to take advantage of both transformers. My guess is it is common ground.

Cool amp.
  • ddog
    Thanks guys... I keep reading the owners owner's manual over and over in hopes that that portion would make more sense to me but...lol

I'll check it with a mm tonight while I wait for SimAudio to call back...
  • ddog
    Well... I did the continuity test on the BIG 7ch Moon Titan last night...
    This amplifier utilizes two transformers, one for 4 channels and the other for 3 channels. Turns out that it is only a common ground on the chennals that are powered by the correspond transformer.

Luckily I was able to find a Dreadnought and it should be here Monday...YaY!!
  • ddog
    Just checked FedEx and the Dreadnought looks to be out for delivery today!!

Yesterday I pulled a dedicated 30amp line just for the full Moon to eat off of...