Common ground amplifier

ddogddog Posts: 194
edited June 21 in Electronics
Sorry if this has been answered before. I've searched the forums but have come up empty.

My question is..
I have a SimAudio Moon Titan HT-200 7ch amplifier and would like to know if it is a common ground amplifier...?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,626
    edited June 21
    Best bet would be to get ahold of the folks at SimAudio and ask. Because it is fed by a single toroidal transformer, I am guessing that it is, but on an amp like that, I would ask first.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • ddogddog Posts: 194
    Thanks man... I gave them a call this morning. Waiting on them to get back to me..

Thanks again.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,573
    I believe you can also use a multimeter and check the resistance between the terminals, but don't go with that until someone backs me up! :)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD C352, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • EmlynEmlyn Posts: 2,343
    edited June 21
    There are two transformers in the 5 and 7 channel versions of the amp. Only one transformer in the 3 channel version. Good idea to check on it to be sure given the fully balanced design it has. The owner’s manual does not say anything specific about grounding but does advise on how to share output between the channels to take advantage of both transformers. My guess is it is common ground.

Cool amp.
    1. Polk LSiM707, 704C, 703; Dual SVS SB2000 subwoofers; Marantz SR7011 receiver; Parasound A23 amp; Oppo 205; Toshiba HD-DVD Player; Sony 65" 4K TV; FIOS; PS Audio Power Plant Premier; MIT S2 cables
    2. JM Labs Electra 920.1; Parasound JC2 Preamp; Sonic Frontiers Power 2 amp; Sony HAP-Z1ES; Oppo 105D; Music Hall MMF7 and Acoustech phono pre; PS Audio P1000; MIT S1 Cables
    3. Polk LSiM703; Pioneer Elite SC97 receiver; Oppo 203; Squeezebox Touch; MIT S3 cables
    Thanks guys... I keep reading the owners owner's manual over and over in hopes that that portion would make more sense to me but...lol

I'll check it with a mm tonight while I wait for SimAudio to call back...
    Well... I did the continuity test on the BIG 7ch Moon Titan last night...
    This amplifier utilizes two transformers, one for 4 channels and the other for 3 channels. Turns out that it is only a common ground on the chennals that are powered by the correspond transformer.

Luckily I was able to find a Dreadnought and it should be here Monday...YaY!!
    Just checked FedEx and the Dreadnought looks to be out for delivery today!!

Yesterday I pulled a dedicated 30amp line just for the full Moon to eat off of...