Pink Floyd-Comfortably Numb

mark090852
mark090852 Posts: 993
edited June 2019 in Music & Movies
I have this concert on Blu-Ray and was watching it for the zillionth time today. This performance gets my vote as the absolute best live performance and guitar solo of all time. If you haven't seen it before, watch it and see some of the best music ever performed. Oh man, to have been there and seen it live would have been life changing! The music, the light show, the guitar solo, the "smoke" in the air... Some of you young whippersnappers (no disrespect intended) owe it to yourselves to watch this and imagine...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi7cuAjArRs
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    one of my favorites for sure.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Saw them during Animals tour ‘77 I think and twice more around ‘93 and a couple years later. Always great.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I got f'kd out of my opportunity to see them live. Back before the internet ticket days, I gave money to a friend to buy me a ticket. He was camping out for them. D' bag gave my ticket to the highest bidder amongst his other friends and I got stiffed. Had to threaten body injury to get my money back. Needless to say, we were no longer friends after that!
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    Saw them at Carter Finley Stadium in 88. Incredible show.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • simm
    simm Posts: 562

I saw them there for the Division Bell tour in ‘94. Awesome experience. Midfield center stage.

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776

Go Pack!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Also saw them in the Oakland Coliseum in 1994. The quadraphonic speakers during "One of these Days" was absolutely phenomenal! Something I will never forget.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    This song is forever in my top 5, and, that just depends on what particular mood I'm in. I will never turn this song when it comes on, it never fails to take me to a better place. Love David Gilmour's style.
  • dromunds
    You guys mentioning 1994 got me thinking so I looked it up and in fact it was July 3,1994 that I saw the Division Bell tour, not ‘93. And it was ‘88 for the Momentary Lapse of Reason tour, in which the local paper said they “packed more power than the Wisconsin football team.” That was the first tour without Roger Waters. The first time I saw them in June 1977 was rather legendary around these parts, however, with the flying pigs and Gilmore’s serious balls. As kharp just said, I still love his style.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Caught them on the Division Bell tour at Texas Stadium in am April downpour and later that summer at Arrowhead. The Comfortably Numb guitar solo was incredible.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    As a side note;

I played "Welcome to the Machine" at a concert level about a month or more ago on my Triton Ones and that was quite a spiritual experience also.

To have seen a real Pink Floyd concert had to certainly be "way above" what I experienced. :p

You lucky dogs! B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M
    indyhawg wrote: »
    Caught them on the Division Bell tour at Texas Stadium in am April downpour and later that summer at Arrowhead. The Comfortably Numb guitar solo was incredible.

The Division Bell is one of my favorite CDs. Top 10 tier for sure!
  • indyhawg
    Tony M wrote: »
    As a side note;

I played "Welcome to the Machine" at a concert level about a month or more ago on my Triton Ones and that was quite a spiritual experience also.

To have seen a real Pink Floyd concert had to certainly be "way above" what I experienced. :p

You lucky dogs! B)

Catch Brit Floyd sometime if you ever get a chance. They are a very good cover band. I have seen them a few times and they always put on a great show. Last time I saw them, their version of "Welcome to the Machine" was worth the price of admission.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited June 2019
    simm wrote: »

I saw them there for the Division Bell tour in ‘94. Awesome experience. Midfield center stage.

We also saw them on that tour in early June 1994 (25 years ago almost to the date!) at the old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. By far the best live show I’ve ever seen. Like you, @simm, we were mid-field (actually right on the second baseman’s position) directly next to the sound stage. I don’t think that concert will ever be topped!

Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite song of all time.

Thanks for posting this Mark! Hope you and Sandy are well!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Saw them in Maryland before I moved to CA. I moved in 76, so the show was before that.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    It was the Wish You Were Here tour in 1975 at the Capital Center. They had a rocket descend from the top rear of the arena and fake crash behind the stage. I was on the floor, damn thing went right over my head.

Bud, we might have crossed paths.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    I want the wall on SACD
  • dromunds
    I'll tell you what, Gilmore has some fantastic stuff on blu-ray
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Jesse, I remember that rocket crash. Wasn't expecting it at all. I was up in the seats.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Good times Bud, good times. B)
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tony M
    edited June 2019
    scubalab wrote: »
    simm wrote: »

We also saw them on that tour in early June 1994 (25 years ago almost to the date!) at the old Veterans Stadium in Philadelphia. By far the best live show I’ve ever seen. Like you, @simm, we were mid-field (actually right on the second baseman’s position) directly next to the sound stage. I don’t think that concert will ever be topped!

Comfortably Numb is probably my favorite song of all time.

Thanks for posting this Mark! Hope you and Sandy are well!

I've lived some of that song. :#;) I also rate in the top 10 or so of my favorites.

It hits home every time I hear it.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    mark090852 wrote: »
    I have this concert on Blu-Ray and was watching it for the zillionth time today. This performance gets my vote as the absolute best live performance and guitar solo of all time. If you haven't seen it before, watch it and see some of the best music ever performed. Oh man, to have been there and seen it live would have been life changing! The music, the light show, the guitar solo, the "smoke" in the air... Some of you young whippersnappers (no disrespect intended) owe it to yourselves to watch this and imagine...

mark090852,
    I am not a young whippersnapper, but would like to know the specific name of the Blu-Ray that you have.

I have a few Blu-Rays/DVD's that I enjoy but no Pink Floyd.

Thanks!

"Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993

mark090852,
    I am not a young whippersnapper, but would like to know the specific name of the Blu-Ray that you have.

Thanks!

@BlueBirdMusic I just pulled it out of my player, and realized it is a DVD, not Blu Ray. It's this one. Pink Floyd-Pulse.

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Pulse/dp/B000BTC5LW/ref=asc_df_B000BTC5LW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312162351774&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16050082063862116731&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006545&hvtargid=pla-435663540603&psc=1
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066

mark090852,

Thanks!

@BlueBirdMusic I just pulled it out of my player, and realized it is a DVD, not Blu Ray. It's this one. Pink Floyd-Pulse.

https://www.amazon.com/Pink-Floyd-Pulse/dp/B000BTC5LW/ref=asc_df_B000BTC5LW/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=312162351774&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16050082063862116731&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9006545&hvtargid=pla-435663540603&psc=1

Thank you for looking. I will order today.
    Harry Jones
    Marietta GA.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • indyhawg
    edited June 2019
    Indianapolis Colts owner Jim Irsay bought Gilmour's black strat which was used on Comfortably Numb for almost $4M.
  • Tony M
    :o:s
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    I saw them sans Waters but the giant bed crashing into the stage made up for it. Funny that it all seems like a dream now.