Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800-Review

JayCee
JayCee Posts: 1,474
edited June 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Disclaimer: what I describe below is "my gear, my ears, my experience". Not trying to be a fanboy for anything CPT, PS Audio or Polk Audio but, rather, a reference point for other's to make their own informed decisions. Do understand I am very meticulous and methodical with respect to my system. I take to heart the single BEST piece of advice offered on this forum...try for yourself and let your ears be the judge.

I've been accused of long posts (even for intended short posts, @Viking64, "made you look", LOL), so, if you don't want to read this review in its entirety here's the verdict... yes, the Core Power Technologies (CPT) EQUI=CORE 1800 has absolutely makes a difference...in my system. Or, skip the "Background" and jump down to "Equipment" and read on.

Part I

Background: I'm 50 something and am at a point in life that I've decided to assemble a modest but very nice system that I can be happy with for years. Fact, as I age my hearing will degrade. I've chosen to enjoy this time in life and not wait. I'm not uber rich, so 2 things dictate my motivation:
  1. Sound quality
  2. Reasonable cost
I realize both are very relative...otherwise, I would only be guided by #1. As many of you appreciate, historically with Polk Audio speakers, it's price vs. performance that's the winning combo and I've kept that in mind with respect to component purchases from Parasound, PS Audio and now, CPT (among other companies).

For many years my main 2 channel system consisted of an upgraded (Big Sky Audio) Parasound HCA-1500A, BDP-105 (also acting as pre) and a Synology NAS streaming FLAC files directly to the 105 or indirectly to a Squeezebox Touch...routed to the 105. Regardless of gear, a pair of Polk Audio SDA-SRS 1.2tl's, acquired in 2009, remain and are the basis for my point of reference.

2014, I moved to Germany. The equipment mentioned above was 220V capable and switched or converted to run directly without the aid of transformers. Surprisingly, it sounded damn good, in fact...better than prior to moving to Germany. Kind of made me question 220V vs 110V with respect to audio quality, but I moved on without much thought.

2016, I attended the Munich High End audio show and was exposed to some incredible gear. PS Audio wasn't represented but, after listening to superb Acoustic Zen speakers and, can't remember brand, tubed front end combined w/a Dutch made DAC, I was blown away by how good digital could sound. Spoke w/Robert Lee (Acoustice Zen Guru) and the Dutch reps at length. As a result, the show left me chasing a new DAC. The DirectStream caught my attention and I purchased it stateside. Euro prices were much too high, even with tax free status.

Fortunately, the Directstream is 220V capable. Thought no problem...I'm a DIY'er and have internally converted several pieces of gear by changing the power configuration. Unfortunately, I couldn't find a credible wiring source on-line. PS Audio is very protective of their dealers and service. On one hand...they let me change out chips on my BHK pre amp (warranty support issue), however, to change voltage, big fat NOPE, it must be sent back to the factory. Decided no more long distance trips for expensive gear and I'm not gonna pay for something I've done in the past.

So, I opted for a small torroidial step-down transformer. The military Base Exchange sells a British made transformer (brand escapes me), less than 100 watts, for 220V-->110V. Plenty of juice for the DAC and appeared to be potted. In my experience, most of the high powered transformers hum and, I'm sure, would affect sound quality. I was surprised at how good my system sounded. The DirectStream was a transformational upgrade, even with the modest Parasound 1500A. Again, made me take notice of audio quality, especially while using a transformer, but this time I started to really question how power affects audio.

Flash forward to 2018 and I'm back in the states. Last November I decided to make another significant move and purchased PS Audio BHK components. Moving in the right direction...does everything I want. Authoritative, open, airy, tube options, solid state backbone. Best I've ever experienced in my own system...will carry me forward for many years. My thought process...IMHO, PS Audio is the Polk of the mid-fi to hi-end arena. Sometimes underrated but competes at a high level. I know, not cheap, but remember I did say this is all relative to one's point of view. Everything's great....

....but, there was the little voice in my head saying..."power conditioners". So, I researched the pros and cons. Lots of chatter in the past year on Club Polk and, in past years, DarqueKnight, BlueFox and other respected advocates saying power conditioning makes a difference. Lots of web searches and reading followed while looking for sleeper (underrated or under the radar) products. I love my PS Audio gear but can't bring myself (now) to spend $5K+ (never say never) for the DirectStream powerplants. Historically, I research the $hit out of my purchases and did so with this....plus, I took a modest leap of faith with respect to Core Power Technologies. For more on my "leap of faith", read the recap from a previous thread that I've added to the "Build Quality" section of this review.

Now, on to the review....

Equipment:
  • Roon software (Microsoft and Android O/S's)
  • NUC server running Roon ROCK streaming FLAC via wifi
  • PS Audio Perfectwave DirectStream DAC w/Bridge II (Snowmass Firmware)
  • PS Audio BHK Signature Preamplifier
  • PS Audio BHK Signature 250 Amplifier
  • MIT S1 Balanced IC's
  • MIT S1 Bi-wire Cables
  • MIT EXP1 SDA Cable
  • AL-1000 Dreadnought
  • Fully modified 1.2tl's (minus internal wire upgrade)

spisdwi2fp33.jpg
yl6lkg9d0wnh.jpg

*Note: Black "things" between the speakers are Owens Corning 703 acoustic panels, bagged to reduce dust. One of my many projects. Frame and covering in-work but this makes a huge difference on SDA's with respect to soundstage and center image.

Post too long for single post. Continued in next post.
Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬

Comments

• maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,491
    Thank you for the thorough write-up. Everything, including the power amp, is plugged into the Core?
  • JayCee
    maxward wrote: »
    Thank you for the thorough write-up. Everything, including the power amp, is plugged into the Core?

Yes, actually, meant to mention it. Varying opinions from my research and I've concluded it's system specific. I did pull the amp off and run it directly to the wall while leaving everything else in place. For me, sounds best plugged into the 1800.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Good write up John, thanks for sharing.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Nice review. I'm glad it was able to bring some positive improvements to your system.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I'm kind of curious to try one at that price.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Great review and thanks for taking the time to do such an in depth write up.
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited June 2019
    Great review and Walt is the man. Can't help but to love him.
    Congrats and sure has me rethinking this PS Audio Dectec I'm using.
    Assuming you have been there and done that with running a dedicated 20amp line to the wall plate with great outlets....of course ya have that done.
    I think I may go this route as well.
    Thanks for the great review.

THJ
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,066
    edited June 2019
    EXCELLENT!! Five Stars!! Ten Thumbs UP!!!

Good idea to have EQUI=CORE 1800 and the Dreadnought separated by the stand or they might mate.
    Post edited by BlueBirdMusic on
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Very good review John. Nice gear too!
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Great experience and an excellent write up!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Very good write up/review. Thanks for posting it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    JayCee wrote: »
    I've been accused of long posts...

I appreciate detailed reviews. Thanks.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • JayCee
    Thanks, guys. Appreciate the kind words and I hope I've encouraged folks to at least consider this or a similar product.

I'm having my morning cup of coffee and decided to listen to Pink Floyd, The Final Cut, in it's entirety as I start my day. Seriously, this is an album that will take you on a sonic journey and gets better as your system gets better. So easy to gauge soundstage and resolution.
    I've been accused of long posts...

I appreciate detailed reviews. Thanks.

@DarqueKnight, Thank you. I've always appreciated the fact based way you present your topics. Only wish I had the resources and knowledge you have to lend the same sort of credibility to my findings.

BTW, @ the Polkfest 2012 BBQ, in Stu's living room, you and I listened to the 705's. I played 2 tracks from Harry Connick, Jr., She, and you were very interested in the album. Did you ever get it?
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Nice write up.

And I am not trying to discount anything you wrote or your experiences but more to verify the simplicity of this device...

Basically, it is a nice isolation transformer with high quality input and outputs, correct?

Wouldn't be all that hard to duplicate for similar results...

Just thinking out loud.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • JayCee
    edited June 2019
    ZLTFUL wrote: »
    Nice write up.

And I am not trying to discount anything you wrote or your experiences but more to verify the simplicity of this device...

Basically, it is a nice isolation transformer with high quality input and outputs, correct?

Just thinking out loud.

Thank you and I totally understand your point. All good and encourage discussion. I'm definitely a DIY'er and have no problem taking something like this on but I was curious and I wanted it now. :smiley: Also, as I stated in the previous thread, power products vs. caps, crossovers and dreadnoughts are a bit more than I've attempted.

Won't try to explain what it is, however, I'm inclined to agree with you. I use the word "inclined" only because I have no experience to know if it's correct. Here's an excerpt from a review/interview that may further this discussion.

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2019/03/31/review-core-power-technologies-equicore-1800/

I asked Mark: “How does this work?”

What’s different about this than all the other line conditioners out there (a number that seems to grow as fast as the number of cable companies) is that the Equi=Core uses a balanced power approach — they take 120V power line in and break it into two 60 volt legs out of the phase to each other. This process rids common mode rejection. According to Mark Shifter, the units are able to get noise down to 30 millivolts. Many recording studios and mastering suites that have purchased the Equi=Core report that they getting good results, such as improved signal to noise ratio in their recordings.

My PS Audo stack is 100% balanced and very quiet. Now, from the wall to the speaker outputs.

Hopefully, smarter folks than me will chime in and this could possibly be a CP DIY project. @WLDock made the same point in the power conditioner thread and seems to have great insight. Not trying to cross post but this is good stuff....
    WLDock wrote: »
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Thanks for the details. I was hoping nobody saw my original post as it seemed like a bit of a bash which wasn't cool on my part. Looks like I was too slow. :*

I guess when I see a product sold as a power conditioner/suppressor I expect to see more to the guts than a transformer. If it does what it advertises & you like the sound, rock on.

No problem, I appreciate the response. I knew there would be some sort of response but the facts are what they are....ie. the build. Can't say my gut reaction is much different than yours and, wholeheartedly agree, the devil is in the details. It's the end result (sound) that will be the deciding factor.

Thanks again for the reply. Alles klar as my Deutsch friends say.😉👍
    Balanced power using a Toroidal transformer in a great way to go if one is willing to spend the money. Many recording and mastering studios use the same thing. While $2000 seems like a lot there are others out there for more money. So, the cost is subjective. Keep in mind here are 1200 VA transformers in the $100 range some of the larger, low noise, high efficient ones can cost $200-$700 or more. I'm a DIY type and one can built something like this for much less. Here is a guide using a 2000 VA transformer that cost about $250 back in 2003 at the time of the writing.

https://hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_3/feature-article-isolation-transformer-8-2003.html
    The canadian company seems to offer good quality and look to offer solutions:
    https://www.plitron.com/custom-toroidal-transformers/power-conditioning-2/

11539602_313839618739839_2745567016391960107_n.jpg

Also, Toroid a USA co. in MD offers some at nice prices.
    https://toroid.com/Products/Balanced-Transformers
    1000 VA - $531
    https://toroid.com/Home/Product-Details/ProductID/32
    1500 AV - $578
    https://toroid.com/Home/Product-Details/ProductID/33
    2000 VA - $872
    https://toroid.com/Home/Product-Details/ProductID/34

Also, These guys have some nice offerings that are higher priced but less than the typical audiophile brands.

600 VA - $599
    https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-BP600-Balanced-Isolation-Power-Conditioner-p137036164
    1200 VA - $999
    https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-BP1200-Balanced-Isolation-Power-Conditioner-p137036175
    2400 VA - $1699
    https://power-holdings-inc.com/Keces-BP2400-Balanced-Isolation-Power-Conditioner-p137036186
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Appreciate the further discussion and inclusion of the other thread information. I had missed that.

Thank you.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    BTW, @ the Polkfest 2012 BBQ, in Stu's living room, you and I listened to the 705's. I played 2 tracks from Harry Connick, Jr., She, and you were very interested in the album. Did you ever get it?

No. I listened to the entire album and found that there were only two songs that I liked, therefore I didn't purchase. I did buy a pair of 705s though. :)

It depends on how much thought and effort CPT put into mitigating the effects of transformer electrical noise and vibration (for example: a generic, off the shelf transformer vs. a custom low noise transformer with special consideration given to core material, winding geometry, copper quality, wire insulation quality, mechanical vibration abatement, termination quality, and ac receptacle quality). Ideally, you would want a transformer designed for audio applications.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • JayCee

It depends on how much thought and effort CPT put into mitigating the effects of transformer electrical noise and vibration (for example: a generic, off the shelf transformer vs. a custom low noise transformer with special consideration given to core material, winding geometry, copper quality, wire insulation quality, mechanical vibration abatement, termination quality, and ac receptacle quality). Ideally, you would want a transformer designed for audio applications.
    DSkip wrote: »
    Even when designed for audio, it doesn't guarantee a good transformer. That isn't a counterpoint, but an addition to your comments.
    From what I read, there were approx. 11 iterations/(re)designs before CPT went to market. Don't know if they were 11 off the shelf or custom transformers. There is a part number on it but partly obscured by the internal mounting bracket (see pics in the long conditioner thread). Initially searched for what I could make out w/no hit. Will disassemble and note the entire stock # when I get some time.
  • joecoulson
    Your review makes me want to open up the Niagara and have a peek
  • JayCee
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Your review makes me want to open up the Niagara and have a peek

Dooooooo Itttttttttt. Guts shots or you're a woosy.
  • joecoulson
    Ok. I’ll see if I can tonight. I’m a sucka for peer pressure.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Just read this thread. Very nice review! I had to peek inside my Shunyata as well, for curiosity! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    I’ll post on a new thread as not to derail, got some pics.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    I have an Equi=Tech 1RQ balanced power conditioner. The Equi=Core 1800 sounds very similar to the Equi=Tech conditioner. If there is someone willing to get and try both, I would be interested in the comparison.

A link to the Equi=Tech site is here: https://www.equitech.com/
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    I had an equi=core 1200 and I really enjoyed it. I liked its small size, and I didn’t find it had any sonic signature. I had one of the early models, and was a really heavy box for the size. The only reason I got rid of it was due to the fact it didn’t get along with a certain piece of equipment I have. Despite that, I don’t blame the transformer. It really did drop the noise floor significantly.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Encourage discussion?? Ok I'll swing the bat again as to hopefully keep newer hobbyist members up to speed. To the OP or anyone else adding such conditioners..please share when you decided to add a dedicated 20 amp line to your system before you had a nice conditioner and what kind of difference did that make for you? Thanks OP and it is relevant to the thread...anyone??
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Encourage discussion?? Ok I'll swing the bat again as to hopefully keep newer hobbyist members up to speed. To the OP or anyone else adding such conditioners..please share when you decided to add a dedicated 20 amp line to your system before you had a nice conditioner and what kind of difference did that make for you? Thanks OP and it is relevant to the thread...anyone??

Hey Johnny. For sure. I ran some dedicated lines to the kitchen last year when I installed some new appliances.

Need to do the same down in the basement. Another project! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    edited June 2019
    ^^^^^Ok; I'm in the crowd that did the 20amp dedicated circuit upgrade just before I added my balanced Furman pc a while back. I'd have to say the 3 dedicated line are just as and probably more important than a quality pc. The drop in noise is noticeable on my lines taken at 2am when supposedly the lines should be quiet but my meter says otherwise. Last night at 2am my household lines read about 650-700. The 2 dedicated power amp lines read about 125 and the line that the Furman was on read around 100. The pc line consistently reads lower than the power amp lines for what ever reason. Coming out of the pc the line read a steady 29.

If I was forced to choose between the 2 (pc or dedicated lines) I'd pick the lines based on the numbers that my meter reads. But with both the lines and a balanced pc the effect on quieting down the lines going into the gear makes for a very nice and noticeable upgrade.

Another thing that the meter allowed me to do was choose which 120 leg is the quietest for my gear. Before the meter I was using the noisier one on my 15 amp audio circuits so that may account for some of the reduction on the new lines. I didn't realize that before the meter. Swapping 120 legs is another simple and effective upgrade if you find which side has the lowest noise