Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800-Review

2»

Comments

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    verb wrote: »
    Encourage discussion?? Ok I'll swing the bat again as to hopefully keep newer hobbyist members up to speed. To the OP or anyone else adding such conditioners..please share when you decided to add a dedicated 20 amp line to your system before you had a nice conditioner and what kind of difference did that make for you? Thanks OP and it is relevant to the thread...anyone??

Hey Johnny. For sure. I ran some dedicated lines to the kitchen last year when I installed some new appliances.

Need to do the same down in the basement. Another project! :smile:

I imagine a dedicated 20amp.run and a nice power conditioner would be pretty amazing. I'm still using a basic PS Dectec. It does a nice job but not like the big boys.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Typing on phone...this sucks.

I don't have a dedicated line and can't reasonably run one. House was built in 1915 and my listening room is on the second floor....really 3rd because my power box is in the basement. The existing line has a 20 amp breaker and snakes to many locations based on how the previous owner renovated. Would be interesting to take noise readings and see how clean it is.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • tophatjohnny
    JayCee wrote: »
    Typing on phone...this sucks.

I don't have a dedicated line and can't reasonably run one. House was built in 1915 and my listening room is on the second floor....really 3rd because my power box is in the basement. The existing line has a 20 amp breaker and snakes to many locations based on how the previous owner renovated. Would be interesting to take noise readings and see how clean it is.

I have read in many cases where it is difficult to run the dedicated lines. Was no picnic in my home but we got 2 of them done. Made a nice difference
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Encourage discussion?? Ok I'll swing the bat again as to hopefully keep newer hobbyist members up to speed. To the OP or anyone else adding such conditioners..please share when you decided to add a dedicated 20 amp line to your system before you had a nice conditioner and what kind of difference did that make for you? Thanks OP and it is relevant to the thread...anyone??

Initially, I had one dedicated 20 amp line for both the source gear, and both amps. However, I kept tripping the breaker, so I had another 20 amp line installed for both amps. Unfortunately, that breaker kept tripping at high volume. Then I added another 20 amp line so each amp had its own dedicated power line, and that worked great. Later I added a Shunyata Denali 2000 on each amp circuit, and I was amazed at how much better the amps worked. The Denalis were removing noise that I didn't realize was there. It was just amazing how much better the system sounded with a Denali 2000 on each amp line.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Nope. 1200 watts per amp takes a lot of current at psycho level volume. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Nope. 1200 watts per amp takes a lot of current at psycho level volume. :)

Depending on the speaker and how they handle loads, at what level you play them (psycho level as mentioned and I like) I could see it tripping.
  • BlueFox
    edited June 2019
    After I added the 2nd dedicated line, one for each amp, the breakers didn't trip. However, one night I blew up both speakers. Although I wasn't measuring the SPL when they blew, earlier I did. At that time the SPL was over 110 db minimum. Later I decided to see how loud they would play. I was expecting at some point the speakers would start distorting, but they sounded fantastic up to the point of failure. These were the Magico S5 v1 speakers.

LOL. Live and learn. Now I never go higher than the low 90s. :)

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    After I added the 2nd dedicated line, one for each amp, the breakers didn't trip. However, one night I blew up both speakers. Although I wasn't measuring the SPL when they blew, earlier I did. At that time the SPL was over 110 db minimum. Later I decided to see how loud they would play. I was expecting at some point the speakers would start distorting, but they sounded fantastic up to the point of failure. These were the Magico S5 v1 speakers.

Dang dude! 110db? Gotta love it! And to be retired now, man you're living the dream! :smile:

65 dBa on the office rig right now! Yeah I'm a wuss! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • tophatjohnny
    My louder than loud days are over . I'm into that somewhat loud but classy level. Am I getting Square??
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    My louder than loud days are over . I'm into that somewhat loud but classy level. Am I getting Square??

Never! I'll crank the big rig downstairs every so often, for sure! Especially if the Mrs is out! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885

A friend of mine found the limits of my Focals. Luckily he only cooked one woofer while I was out of the room. I was upstairs and heard an explosion of music from the basement, the loudest I’ve heard my system while being out of the room lol!

Focal warranteed the woofer.
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    ^^^^^Ok; I'm in the crowd that did the 20amp dedicated circuit upgrade just before I added my balanced Furman pc a while back. I'd have to say the 3 dedicated line are just as and probably more important than a quality pc. The drop in noise is noticeable on my lines taken at 2am when supposedly the lines should be quiet but my meter says otherwise. Last night at 2am my household lines read about 650-700. The 2 dedicated power amp lines read about 125 and the line that the Furman was on read around 100. The pc line consistently reads lower than the power amp lines for what ever reason. Coming out of the pc the line read a steady 29.

If I was forced to choose between the 2 (pc or dedicated lines) I'd pick the lines based on the numbers that my meter reads. But with both the lines and a balanced pc the effect on quieting down the lines going into the gear makes for a very nice and noticeable upgrade.

Another thing that the meter allowed me to do was choose which 120 leg is the quietest for my gear. Before the meter I was using the noisier one on my 15 amp audio circuits so that may account for some of the reduction on the new lines. I didn't realize that before the meter. Swapping 120 legs is another simple and effective upgrade if you find which side has the lowest noise

What device are you using to get those numerical measurements you're referring to?
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,042
    ^^^^^^ https://smartmetercovers.com/products/line-emi-meter?msclkid=fb8b876f759b1cfb6eadda69bb4a5156

For the price I think anyone that's even remotely interested in power conditioning shouldn't be without one. It's already provided me with a lot of surprises. One of the more recent ones is the thinking that the power is "cleaner" during the wee hours of the morning; surprisingly to me it's not. Mine is the cleanest during the weekdays, late morning early afternoon hours when the sun is shining brightly. Solar power feeding the grid perhaps?

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Thanks for the detailed review, @JayCee. As the doubting Thomas in the original post, I owe it to myself to up my game on the power front. I've got 2 dedicated 20 amp lines already. Luckily, I'm handy and the breaker box in the basement is literally 5 feet from the 1st floor outlet location. But other than a handful of power cords, my power game consists of an apc unit. Nowhere near the level I'd like to be.
  • JayCee
    edited June 2019
    DaveHo wrote: »
    Thanks for the detailed review, @JayCee. As the doubting Thomas in the original post, I owe it to myself to up my game on the power front. I've got 2 dedicated 20 amp lines already. Luckily, I'm handy and the breaker box in the basement is literally 5 feet from the 1st floor outlet location. But other than a handful of power cords, my power game consists of an apc unit. Nowhere near the level I'd like to be.

@DaveHo, wish my breaker box was that close. Currently listening to my system while I catch up with emails from the weekend and I have the volume at just a bit over conversation level....the detail at lower listening levels is so VERY good. Granted, bass is not knock you over like w/reference listening levels, but it's deep, balanced and as engaging as any part of the music. As I stated earlier, I had this low level satisfaction prior to the CPT, but now, it's just...so....much...better than without it.

I'm really pleased @verb and @joecoulson are experiencing positive results with their recent purchases. I appreciate their posts, experiences and insight regarding the different design concepts. Plus, it's nice to have confirmation I'm heading down the correct path with respect to another "component" (clean power) added to the chain. Regardless of which type of conditioner you consider, I believe, they bring something to the table. I'd never not consider this as a must have going forward. It will always be my recommendation for anyone serious about audio.
    Post edited by JayCee on
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • JayCee
    edited June 2019
    ^^^^^^ https://smartmetercovers.com/products/line-emi-meter?msclkid=fb8b876f759b1cfb6eadda69bb4a5156

For the price I think anyone that's even remotely interested in power conditioning shouldn't be without one. It's already provided me with a lot of surprises. One of the more recent ones is the thinking that the power is "cleaner" during the wee hours of the morning; surprisingly to me it's not. Mine is the cleanest during the weekdays, late morning early afternoon hours when the sun is shining brightly. Solar power feeding the grid perhaps?

@motorstereo, I'm interested. The analytical side of my brain wants this. Having done analysis in my pre-retirement life your device should aid in quantifying my results. I just don't want my hobby and the pursuit of knowledge to turn into another J...O...B! LOL.

The following is copied from my post in another thread and, also, was a consideration when I purchased the CPT. My hope is I can add to what the CPT 1800 brought to my system at, what I assess, is another modest price.

CPT is bringing a device to market... "...through Underwood Hifi called DEEP=CORE that addresses RFI/EMI. It's an add on that's supposed to work with any power conditioner and allows for user adjustable tailoring. Not advocating it but my hope is that it's everything touted to be. MUCHO problems bringing it to market over the past few years. Here's the link:
    https://www.underwoodhifi.com/products/deepcore-1800

Original beta testers under the former owner literally fried their systems. I've documented the sketchy history in my review. As stated by other CP members, Walter Liederman is a stand up guy and the new owner. He's convinced this will work. I'm looking forward to the initial release and reviews."
  • motorstereo
    edited June 2019
    Hmmm; that part about the former owner frying their systems isn't too reassuring lol. Another tidbit I've found with my tester is that there's also differences in emi between the different plugs in the back of my pc. Very surprising to me was the high current outlet being the lowest. How can that be I'm wondering?
  • JayCee
    edited June 2019
    Hmmm; that part about the former owner frying their systems isn't too reassuring lol.
    Guarantee I won't be an early adopter. Will sit back and wait for the dust to settle. Plus, I do believe if Underwood starts shipping it will be well vetted. I spoke w/Walter when I purchased the 1800 and he really does believe in this product. Regardless, will wait for an existing track record. Not in any rush.
  • motorstereo
    An interesting tidbit I found today is that a variac lowers emi significantly. In my case regular line voltage went from 500+mv to about 200 mv. Now I'm wondering if a variac placed before the pc may lower the emi even more without any side effects?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073

I'm actually a tech support person with a solar inverter manufacturer. :smile: Solar can add noise however the average home these days has many sources of EMF pollution. Just think of all the devices we charge these days that use switching power supplies vs. ages ago. The EMI tool can be used to find the sources in your home.

Typical causes of “Dirty Electricity” include:

- Solar System Inverters (converting DC power to AC power)
    - EV chargers (SMPS converting high current AC power to DC power)
    - PLC Smart Meters (sending data over the powerlines by adding additional
    frequencies)
    - Wireless Smart Meters that add pulsed frequencies to the powerlines
    - CFL and some LED lightbulbs
    - Light Dimmer Switches
    - Electrical devices in your home and on the grid that have a switch mode power
    supply (SMPS)
    - Wireless technology (all wireless frequencies conduct along copper wiring to some
    extent)
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2