Youse guyses is wise in the ways of automotive care products; what's a good glass cleaning product?

2»

Comments

• charley95
    charley95 Posts: 908
    When cleaning, wipe outside of glass one direction and inside the opposite direction. That way you'll know which side streaks.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    My current 'issue' is definitely inside. I don't have much trouble with the outside of auto glass. I think the outgassing of plastics in the interior is the big problem inside of automobiles.

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    My current 'issue' is definitely inside. I don't have much trouble with the outside of auto glass. I think the outgassing of plastics in the interior is the big problem inside of automobiles.

I find that the case as well. If you ever use those reflective sunscreen things inside that cover the windshield to protect the dash it's even worse.
  • mhardy6647
    edited June 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

I find that the case as well. If you ever use those reflective sunscreen things inside that cover the windshield to protect the dash it's even worse.

We used those when we lived in California.
    Sun here is more of a concept, or a rumour*, than it is a problem :p

edited June 2019
    https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/window+cleaner.do?code=PPCPLG&gclid=Cj0KCQjw6IfoBRCiARIsAF6q06tqHATPLEcMXS5NGSMFYIvfmmmAs3Mc8D_s8OHy-rCw2S5jdrzqfgQaAkNVEALw_wcB

https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/pfm+dual+weave+glass+towel+set+of+4.do?sortby=ourPicks&from=Search

https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/how+to/how+to+glass.do

I've been around the block so many times on window cleaner. I've used just about everything made over the last 30 years or so. Griots Garage Glass cleaner works as good and better as anything I've ever used. Technic and the quality of your towel will also play a huge roll on streak or streak free windows. Microfiber towels like Terry cloth towels can be hit or miss. Some general purpose microfiber towels work like crap and some work great.Griots Garage Windows towels work great. I also like worn out bathroom hand towels as when ours gets older I re purpose them for cleaning the cars.
    Also staying out of the sunlight will greatly improve your window cleaning. The sun dries the product to fast and then it streaks all over the place.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mhardy6647
    well -- OK -- I am exaggerating... a little.
    We get a few hours of sunshine almost every year. B)

This photo was taken on Tuesday afternoon* for example. The view from the septic field, by the vent pipe :p

48046107532_b4877bd204_b.jpgDSC_5081 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Try Windex with crumpled up newspaper on the inside. No not use shiny plastic protection. Go with 3M 303 spray. I put that on everything plastic. It does not dry shiny. Matte finish. The out side of your windshield I would recommend using the same paste or liquid wax you use on your paint. Works a lot like rain x but I feel it lasts longer. 9as6q5ytne32.png
    Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited June 2019
    https://www.griotsgarage.com/category/how+to/how+to+glass.do
    Nice website they have, pretty much tells you all you need to know.

If anyone wants specifically made glass cleaning micro towels, shoot me a PM.
    I also have colored microfiber towels if anyone wants those, MUCH better than
    the bag o' towels you can buy from HomeyDs, IMO. I can't really help out with glass cleaning liquids, unless you can stop by my house with an empty gallon jug LOL.

FWIW I haven't bought any spray bottles of glass cleaner in years, it's mostly water you're paying for anyway. If you want something that many window cleaners use, you can buy UngerPro at HD - but a qt. makes like 25 gallons so you may not ever use it all.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited June 2019
    Norwex and Invisible Glass aerosol.

You can thank me later.

Halo, I have always used Bar Keepers Friend, stove top cleaner for stubborn water spots and contaminates. I'd be interested into which of these products works better...

Back when I was 18, I used to use straight gasoline and a razor blade. Made my Trans Am's windshield look brand spankin' new. Add polished Rain-Ex and I was golden for a while.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Back when I was 18, I used to use straight gasoline and a razor blade.
    Tom
    That explains why you have no hair... B)