TeraDak Linear Power Supplies For Synology NAS Units

Introduction

The stock EDAC switch mode power supplies of the Synology DS718+ NAS in my two channel stereo system and the Synology DS918+ NAS in my home theater system were replaced with linear power supplies made by TeraDak.

The digital music library for my two channel system was previously stored on a 6 TB external hard drive that was powered by a TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply. The report on the DC-30 can be found here:

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/185642/teradak-dc-30-linear-power-supply-review

TeraDak DC-150VA Linear Power Supply For Synology DS718+ NAS

ixmappt8pq0z.jpg
Figure 1. TeraDak DC-150VA linear power supply.

0xs2lup3pt0s.jpg
Figure 2. DC-150VA rear.

e9nqqraeqwi9.jpg
Figure 3. DC-150VA inside.

4d9pdp5q89q8.jpg
Figure 4. The stock 18 AWG power cord was replaced with a Signal Cable 10 AWG MagicPower cord.

abx82qdkhc64.jpg
Figure 5. DC-150VA installed

t9oqsenr9jju.jpg
Figure 6. DS718+ NAS stock EDAC switch mode power supply.

y98r0d1fsnsg.jpg
Figure 7. Trying the DC-150VA with my home theater's Synology DS918+ NAS. The DC-150VA worked fine with the DS 918+, but TeraDak recommended an LPM with more current, the DC-200VA.

Listening Evaluation

There was an immediate loss of image weight after installing the DC-150VA. There was also an initial loss in dynamics. It took 6 hours of playback for image weight and dynamics to return to their previous pre-TeraDak levels, and another four hours for improvements to be heard over the pre-TeraDak levels. After 10 hours of playback, bass became more articulate and growly and sound images became heavier. There were improvements in sound stage width an depth depending on the music selection.

There was an immediate improvement in high frequency detail and clarity. Music sounded a little louder when the stock power cord was replaced with a MagicPower cord.

After a week of listening with the DC-150VA, the stock switch mode power supply was reinstalled. There was an immediate loss of tactile sensation, bass transients were less sharply defined, and there was a small loss of high frequency clarity and detail.

The top of the DC-150VA reached a temperature of 99.3 degrees F. The heat sinks reached temperatures of 108.5 degrees F and 108.3 degrees F.

TeraDak DC-200VA Linear Power Supply For Synology DS918+ NAS

2hyx4qa2hvlm.jpg
Figure 8. The DS918+'s stock switch mode power supply on left, TeraDak DC-200VA on right.

4umpqrbzz3rx.jpg
Figure 9. DC-200VA rear.

4cfwd069qc8u.jpg
Figure 10. DC-200VA inside.

np9d7lpopggi.jpg
Figure 11. DC-200VA installed in home theater equipment cabinet next to DS918+ NAS.

The following screen captures were photographed with a Nikon D800 36.3 megapixel camera and Nikkor 24-70 zoom lens. The television was an LG 65" OLED, model OLED65E8PUA. The front of the camera lens was 42" from the TV screen. These screen captures were taken with the DC-150VA.

ad0mdj2zqshq.jpg
Figure 12. Still images photographed from OLED 4K TV screen. Picture with stock Synology DS918+ NAS switch mode power supply on left, picture with TeraDak DC-150VA power supply on right. Images are from the beginning of "Alien Covenant" at time 00:01:17. The picture with the linear power supply is brighter and has more detail overall. Pictures taken at ISO 1000.

The very light area at the lower right did not appear washed out to my eyes. The camera sensitivity had to be set to show sufficient detail in the darker areas, which meant the much lighter areas were washed out. Also, since the TV rendered a brighter picture with the linear power supply, the lower right area appears more washed out. [/b]

2dqvvo1cl64a.jpg
Figure 13. Same pictures as in figure 12, but taken with the camera set at a lower light sensitivity, ISO 500. Here, the lower right areas are not washed out, but detail in the darker areas is obscured.

f0uqrc24mpxc.jpg
Figure 14. Still images photographed from OLED 4K TV screen. Images are from "Alien Covenant" Picture with stock Synology DS918+ NAS switch mode power supply on left, picture with TeraDak DC-150VA power supply on right. The picture with the linear power supply is brighter and has more detail overall. Notice the increased detail
in the dark areas of the picture.

If you right-click on figures 15a and 15b, the following differences can be seen:

1. The brightly lit parts of the picture exhibit blooming (exaggerated brightness and bloating of the image) with the stock power supply. This is seen in the sunlight reflecting off the tether line and upper flat parts of the metal. The orange-yellow light to the left of center, as well as the reflection of that orange-yellow light to the right of it, also exhibit blooming.

2. The dark areas of the picture, such as the centers of the circular parts, show more detail with the linear power supply.

3. The gray metal surfaces with the stock power supply appear blurred compared to the their rendition with the linear power supply.

wy5cu0cwh4bp.jpg
Figure 15a. Scene of Covenant spaceship exterior from "Alien Covenant" with stock Synology DS918+ NAS switch mode power supply.

piahbt4z8btq.jpg
Figure 15b. Scene of Covenant spaceship exterior from "Alien Covenant" with TeraDak DC-150VA power supply.

Figures 15a and 15b were cropped from the scene below:

1y9nvmfrrt86.jpg
Figure 16. "Alien Covenant" space walk scene, with stock power supply on left, linear power supply on right. Some of the stars also exhibit blooming with the stock power supply.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!

Comments

• DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited May 2019
    Discussion Of Results

Ethernet is a low noise data transmission protocol by design due to its galvanic isolation via transformer coupling. However, even though there is not a direct electrical connection among devices on an Ethernet network, some noise still gets through, as evidenced by the improvement in audio and video clarity and detail with the much lower noise linear power supplies.

Associated Equipment - Two Channel Stereo System

PS Audio PowerBase isolation platforms for DAC, BDP-3, and U-Clock
    22 pound granite slabs to couple source components to isolation platforms
    Black Diamond Racing Isolation Mini Pits and Mk IV Cones
    dCS Puccini U-Clock word clock
    dCS Debussy DAC
    Synology DS718+ NAS For Music File Server
    Pass Labs XP-30 line level preamplifier
    Pass Labs X600.5 monoblock power amplifiers
    AudioQuest Sky XLR interconnects
    AudioQuest Everest speaker cables
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver digital coaxial cable - RCA connectors
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver digital coaxial cable - BNC connectors
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy CryoSilver USB 2.0 dual leg cable
    PS Audio PerfectWave AC-12 power cords
    PS Audio PerfectWave P-10 AC regenerator
    Polk Audio SDA SRS 1.2TL loudspeakers (heavily modified)
    Salamander Synergy Triple 30 audio credenza
    Dell Venue Pro 11 7140 Docked Tablet Computer For System Control
    Logitech Harmony One Remote

Associated Equipment - Home Theater System

LG OLED65E8PUA OLED TV
    Oppo UDP-205 Blu-ray Player
    Bryston BDP-1 Digital Music Player
    Synology DS918+ NAS For Movie File Server
    Yamaha CX-A5100 Surround Sound Preamp/Processor
    Adcom GFA-565se Power Amp (250 wpc 8 ohms)/Front Speakers
    Adcom GFA-565se Power Amp (250 wpc 8 ohms)/Center Channel Speaker
    Adcom GFA-565se Power Amp (250 wpc 8 ohms)/Surround Speakers
    Polk Audio LSiM 706C Center Channel Speaker
    Polk Audio LSiM 707 Front Speakers
    Polk Audio LSiM 702 F/X Surround Speakers
    SVS PB12 Ultra/2 Subwoofer
    PS Audio P5 AC Regenerator (Plasma TV, Blu-ray Player, Tivo, Digital Music Player)
    PS Audio P10 AC Regenerator (Preamp/Processor, Power Amplifiers)
    PS Audio AC-5 Power Cord For AC Regenerators
    PS Audio Statement SC Power Cords For All Electronics
    Revelation Audio Labs Prophecy Cryo-Silver Digital Coaxial Cable
    AudioQuest Cinnamon HDMI Cables
    Douglas Connection DCF-92 Speaker Cables, Front, Center Speakers
    DSR Silverline (Amp To Wall), Monster UL/CL3 (In-Wall) Speaker Cables, Surround Speakers
    Blue Jeans LC-1 In-Wall Subwoofer Cable
    Signal Cable Silver Resolution XLR Interconnects (Preamp To Power Amps)
    Two Dedicated 20 Amp AC Circuits Terminated With PS Audio Soloist SE In-Wall Passive Power Conditioners
    Salamander Synergy Quad 30 Audio Credenza
    Dell Venue Pro 11 7140 Docked Tablet Computer For System Control
    Logitech Harmony One Remote
  • DarqueKnight
    ***Update***

My Bryston BDP-3 digital player and Synology DS718+ NAS are networked via an Amped Wireless Athena EX wireless range extender with 4-port unmanaged switch. I wondered if sound quality could be improved by providing a linear power supply for the Athena EX. The Athena EX uses a 12V/3A switch mode power supply and I do not have a compatible linear power supply in house. I had to improvise a little. I configured an old Amped Wireless SR10000 range extender to function as a four port unmanaged Ethernet switch by removing the antennas and turning off the wireless functions.

I did not perceive a difference in sound quality or tactile sensation between the BDP-3 and DS718+ connected to the Athena EX (with its stock SMPS) and the the BDP-3 and DS718+ connected to the SR10000 (with its stock SMPS).

The SR10000 runs on a 12V/1A SMPS, therefore I could compare its stock SMPS to the 12V/1.8A iPower SMPS and the TeraDak 12V/2A DC-30LPS. The most noticeable improvement was in the bass, with improved clarity, articulation, and tactile sensation. There was no difference in the size and placement of images within the sound stage. There were also improvements in overall clarity and detail and a lowering of the noise floor as evidenced by the music sounding apparently louder.

The iPower SMPS provided a little bit of improvement. The TeraDak LPS provided a moderate amount of improvement. The improvement with the TeraDak LPS was similar to upgrading to a more resolving DAC.

5yd2t25qrwdi.jpg
    Figure 17. Proof of concept: Better sound was obtained from the SR10000 with better power supplies. Top, left to right: Amped Wireless Athena EX WiFi range extender, Amped Wireless SR10000 range extender, TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply.

The SR10000 was plugged into one of the Athena EX's Ethernet ports with a Cable Matters Cat6 cable. The BDP-3 digital player and DS718+ NAS were plugged into the two of the SR10000's Ethernet ports with Bluejeans certified Cat6a cables.

My digital front end consists of a Bryston BDP-3 digital player, Synology DS718+ NAS, dCS Debussy DAC, and dCS Puccini word clock.

p3ok1nzxrw9y.jpg
    Figure 18. Left to right: SR10000's stock SMPS, iPower SMPS, TeraDak DC-30 LPS.

I have been keeping an eye on the development of Uptone Audio's EtherRegen low noise Ethernet switch. Unlike the current crop of stock Ethernet switches that have been extensively modified for low noise computer audio applications, the EtherRegen switch was designed from the ground up for computer audio applications. In the meantime, I have ordered a Cisco SG110D-08NA 8-port Ethernet switch ($36) to connect the BDP-3 digital player and DS718+ NAS. The SG110D comes with a 12V/1A SMPS. No other devices will be plugged into the SD110D switch other than the BDP-3 and DS718+.
  • DarqueKnight
    I configured an old Amped Wireless SR10000 range extender to function as a four port unmanaged Ethernet switch by removing the antennas and turning off the wireless functions.

CORRECTION: The SR10000 is a five port device.

• DarqueKnight
    The results with the Cisco SD110D-08 Ethernet switch were a little surprising. Whether powered by its stock SMPS or by the TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply, It sounded better than the Amped Wireless range extender powered by the DC-30. The Cisco was more holographic, provided more ambient information retrieval, and had deeper, more articulate, and more tactile bass.

The hierarchy of sound quality was:

1. Cisco SD110D-08 switch powered by the TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply.
    2. Cisco SD110D-08 switch powered by its stock (wall wart) switch mode power supply.
    3. Amped Wireless SR10000 (wireless mode turned off) range extender powered by the TeraDak DC-30 linear power supply.
    4. I perceived no sonic difference between the Amped Wireless Athena Ex range extender (wireless mode left on) with its stock SMPS and the Amped Wireless SR10000 range extender with its stock SMPS.

1sa2fmt6vtw9.jpg
    Figure 19. The Cisco SG110D-08 under evaluation.