eBay seller bad packing result

Options
Tony M
Tony M Posts: 11,015
edited May 2019 in The Clubhouse
I went ahead and ordered some Polk MW6600 speakers from a seller on eBay.

He had a bad review about packing being inadequate. I addressed this issue and requested he be certain to pack these 3 MW6600s very well for the cross country trip.

That request was minimally followed. The box arrived today with weight on one side of the box. Yea, all 3 woofers on one side. I opened the box and what a disappointing sight to see light soft fluffy pillow batting, minimal amount too, as the protective packing material. There were foam round plugs covering the center cones for some reason. There was some LITTLE, VERY LITTLE cardboard slivers (stand-offs maybe) that did god knows what. It was a cluster f**4 in this box. :s

The first speaker came out ok. the second was upside-down slicing into the third's center cap. NOT GOOD! Well the second was fine but that third is DOA. Sliced to death! :#:'(

I tested the other 2 good ones and they seem to be fine. Sad deal about the 3rd one. It probably worked , although there is a strange hole in the surround. There is foam stuck to backs of these 3 woofer baskets. Maybe one of you did this foam deadening applique to them. ;)

Here's some picks of this poor guy. Man, I even warned the guy and requested great packing!! You can clearly see the imprint of the one's metal basket rim where it slammed into the cone of the dead one, crushing the center cone. The voice coil is even trashed now. Look at the surrounds twisted shape! A terrible calamity! I could've had 2 working RTA12bs this weekend. :p
8wfskds6nvyv.png
3vl8yx2k2n0c.png
1gd3xk5c2zaq.png
dkvjfco3746v.png
7hhhhkfhmgrb.png

Sad in that this damage could've been avoided!
Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Bummer Tony. I fortunetly have had good luck with shipping mid drivers.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Tony M wrote: »
    He had a bad review about packing being inadequate.

Hopefully you will add this to his review.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Bummer Tony. I fortunetly have had good luck with shipping mid drivers.

I don't think this guy has a clue as to how to ship speakers AT ALL. By him putting these funny foam plugs taped to the center cones, they could've caused damage!

I'm VERY lucky that 2 still seem to be ok. ;)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    Personally if it were me I'd keep none of them. Open a case with eBay.
  • Tony M
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Tony M wrote: »
    He had a bad review about packing being inadequate.

Hopefully you will add this to his review.

I left a comment through the eBay contact box in our sales transaction loop. I haven't heard from him yet.

I see ( On eBay's leave a feedback link) I have to wait 7 days before I can leave a neutral or a negative feedback.

He seemed like a good guy during the buying process. So I'll soon see how he takes this calamity due to his or whoever's poor packing job. I WARNED him it was a long shipment journey and to pack them well!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,095
    Options
    Sadly, the warning you received from his prior feedback was not heeded. I would have never done business with him to start with.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Personally if it were me I'd keep none of them. Open a case with eBay.

I think they're rare 6600's so I want to keep the 2.

They were 33.00 each. Free shipping.
  • Tony M
    Options
    Sadly, the warning you received from his prior feedback was not heeded. I would have never done business with him to start with.

I usually don't like NEG. feedback ratings either. But after a few back and forth emails, I THOUGHT he got the concern I was explaining to him. LIVE and LEARN again for me. But if he refunds me 33.00, I'll be ok with it. Saddened for sure but feel ok $ wise.

I guess little foam plugs taped to a center cap is EXTRA packaging safeguards to him. The speakers were really left to bounce around in a box twice their perimeters size. :s
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    That is such a waste of good speakers, money and time for everyone. Sorry Tony.

I had some drivers shipped from Denmark a couple of years ago for my Kappas.
    They came so well packed it could’ve be considered a work of art.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »
    That is such a waste of good speakers, money and time for everyone. Sorry Tony.

I had some drivers shipped from Denmark a couple of years ago for my Kappas.
    They came so well packed it could’ve be considered a work of art.

I agree. I'm saddened this speaker got DESTROYED because of neglect AFTER a warning was spoken out loud to avoid this from possibly happening. Not a magnet shift... but destroyed :s and headed for the trash can as soon as this claim is resolved.

I sent a set of fragile whole speakers to a member on this forum here and he commented to me that it was one of the best packing jobs he has seen too. I think he also said it was a work of art the way I packed and protected the fragile grills and those BEAUTIFUL cabinets. It was those Boston M60's that I shipped to him in Indiana I believe it was. Both were in one nice size box too.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Sorry to see this Tony. Hey aren’t you able to open a case? eBay has a pretty good buyer protection policy nowadays.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,599
    Options
    Can you get your money back? You may be able to, and also keep the damaged drivers.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'm still waiting for the guy to respond. Like I said, he seemed to be ok so I'm not getting worried or more upset... yet. ;)

Drew, there was only one mid-woofer damaged beyond repair. The other 2 seem fine and played well outside of a cabinet though.

I almost had a chance to bring these RTA12b's to full resurrection but only one can be fixed for now. Oh well. I still could try and build the magnet shift correction jig to fix the 2 locked up ones that are in the one cabinet since I have 10' piece of 4" PVC. I looked at it a few times in the past few days too. :D

I took a frozen driver out yesterday or before and I didn't see where the magnet was shifted. Maybe we can't tell by looking. But how do we FREE up a locked driver if we can't see what direction to free it up?

• Tony M
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Sorry to see this Tony. Hey aren’t you able to open a case? eBay has a pretty good buyer protection policy nowadays.

Still waiting for his reply. I'm sure he's BUMMED or is going to be! He or somebody isn't experienced at packing. >:)
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Tony there is very little gap between the voice coil and pole piece. So no it usually is not readily apparent.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    That's a shame, hate to see it.

When I sell drivers, I will find a slightly oversized box by bout 1" per side... line the bottom with 1" foam, then take second layer of foam - place the woofer in the center, cut out a circle the size of the magnet. Place the woofer in the box anchored in the foam cut out. Place paper/bubble wrap up to the top of the frame all the way around, 1 layer of bubble wrap over the cone/surround (one sheet). Then place one more layer of 1" foam. Seal up. Never had a damaged driver in shipment.

gvsginxjv9ct.jpg
    jwkqkfhdv6i1.jpg
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueBirdMusic
    BlueBirdMusic Posts: 2,076
    Options
    As Hank says on Chicago PD, he needs to hear:

"Let's go for a ride".
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    That's a shame, hate to see it.

When I sell drivers, I will find a slightly oversized box by bout 1" per side... line the bottom with 1" foam, then take second layer of foam - place the woofer in the center, cut out a circle the size of the magnet. Place the woofer in the box anchored in the foam cut out. Place paper/bubble wrap up to the top of the frame all the way around, 1 layer of bubble wrap over the cone/surround (one sheet). Then place one more layer of 1" foam. Seal up. Never had a damaged driver in shipment.

gvsginxjv9ct.jpg
    jwkqkfhdv6i1.jpg

With multiple drivers either zip tie or bolt them face to face and then do as Trey did top and bottom with the magnet cut out and extra foam then box single driver separately. Even with all precautions taken you're at the mercy of the shippers. The seller can try to turn that into shipping ins. but it will be denied as it was not remotely packed correctly.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Tony, do NOT toss that driver, it too can be repaired. Look through the repair thread and find the part number I listed (it may be in a picture I posted). One cut and 4 screws later and you're cooking. If you can't locate that piece, I can ship one to you. I found it at an Ace hardware, but most plumbing supplies should have it.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I appreciate your opinion. I just picked the damaged one back up and the scraping voice coil scrapes bad. But if I force the cone to one side, it moves freely. But it's a good effort to quieten the scratchiness. The rubber surround has straitened out from what it looked like yesterday. There's still a wrinkle in it though. The hole is there too.

I looked in your linked thread and saw the PVC fitting you described just now and use as your jig now. I used to do plumbing so I know PVC and it's fittings pretty well. I was JUST at Lowes home improvement and bought some locktight to prevent magnet shifting but forgot to go to the PVC dept. and pick up that fitting. DUH. :s
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,085
    Options
    I am also sorry for your PFB experience (imposed upon you)

Common sense fell by the wayside years ago. I still cannot grasp the level of unconscionable acts by MOST people these days
    The level of stupidity is off the charts. EVERY day I SMH and mutter expletives

I hope the issues are resolved to your satisfaction

Sorry, I guess this belongs in The Hate thread . . .
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • Tony M
    Options
    I agree.
    Common sense isn't so common anymore. :s

From the web;

Common Sense Test...
    Common sense is sound practical judgment concerning everyday matters, or a basic ability to perceive, understand, and judge that is shared by ("common to") nearly all people. The first type of common sense, good sense, can be described as "the knack for seeing things as they are, and doing things as they ought to be done."

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Every time I see that I shutter.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    That's close to what mine looked like. Angle wise. :#

I'm with all of you who hate to see good or GREAT audio things abused, trashed or destroyed.

I still cringe thinking about a member's BIG SRS's being put out at the street and then the trash truck crane claws picking them up and dropping ... :s:'(

I have to stop! :s
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,037
    Options
    IMO/IME, buying a turntable on eBAY, on the average, is signing said tt's death warrant. :(
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    Honestly, I think people over think packing to the point they just don't understand it or they feel it is to expensive. The 1 inch and 2 inch foam sold at home depot is excellent and relatively inexpensive.

Packing products like bubble wrap and paper is insanely expensive to me. That's why I keep a 40 gallon trash bag in a closet and save any and all packing products that come in the mail from orders.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Tony M
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I saved so much packing stuff, it became like a hoarders pile. So I threw a bunch away a few years ago! :s

BUT, I did use a couple hundred dollars worth of that earlier saved packing stuff to pack a few sets of speakers I sold on this forum. It sure came in handy. :)

But then I didn't want to sell or ship or meet anybody because of my neck pain and over the years from buying stuff off from the web, it accumulated some more and one day...out it went. I might have some bubble wrap still, but for the last few years, mostly what comes in, goes to the recycle bin or trash can. :#
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,352
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    IMO/IME, buying a turntable on eBAY, on the average, is signing said tt's death warrant. :(

This, after asking the seller that it be properly packed, platter removed, etc. I got a lecture that they have been doing this for years, rest assured....blah blah. Fortunately I was able to extract parts needed to repair Noel's TT.

3adnbln6nsn4.png

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tony M
    Options
    :s
    I got a similar "don't worry, I'll pack them well".