Adcom GFP 565 preamp

pitdogg2
pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
Who here has used the GFP 565 and how much better is it than the GFP 555II preamp which I use at the moment. The 565 was supposedly their TOTL before the GFP 750. The 750 was always on my to get list but it was most of the time way out of my budget. They still sell for 1k or just a little north from what I have seen.

Comments

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited May 2019
    What I recall is while the 565 resembled the 555 on the outside, the insides were better, design wise. I'd still go 750 over the 565.
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • SCompRacer
    edited May 2019
    EDIT. I may have snagged a 555II pic?

kpoa5bwko9sg.jpg
    imzyxtgf28x8.jpg

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • pitdogg2
    SCompRacer wrote: »
    What I recall is while the 565 resembled the 555 on the outside, the insides were completely different, much better design.

yes I did see gut shots and WAY different on the inside.
  • pitdogg2
    edited May 2019
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I ran a 565 for a long time. I thought it was a great preamp and a very underrated phono stage. On bass shy music, hit the contour button.

I got mine in the later 90's for $250 and sold it for what i paied for like 8 years later. I just looked at what they are going for. I am quite suprised they went up in price.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade
    Almost forgot, i felt the 565 had more body to it over the 555 pre.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • pitdogg2
    Thanks Brian.
    Someone else dangled a 750 in front of me decisions decisions :)

565 was local but the guys price shot up 300.00 so my thought was if I could get it cheap enough I'd recap it and go from there.
  • erniejade
    Agree with skip on that one.
  • pitdogg2
    DSkip wrote: »
    If remote isn’t a killer snag my audible illusions. It’s a damn fine sounding preamp for not a lot of coin.

I have no remote now. I do need a processor loop for my tube buffer.
  • erniejade
    Won't need the buffer with the AI.
  • pitdogg2
    Well i have about 50 6sn7 tubes and that one will not use a single one. Is it black?
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    It goes to eleven
  • pitdogg2
    Yea i don't know those are very pricey tubes from what I'm seeing. I'll never use the phono section or headphone section if it has one.
    How much you asking for it and more details please.
  • TheKid
    TheKid Posts: 22
    I use a 565 with my 555 and GDA-700 DAC. I think it is a great pre and got it primarily because the phono stage which was favorably compared to phono preamps that cost over 5 times as much at the time. As long as you don’t need a digital connection I think the 565 would serve you well.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well i have about 50 6sn7 tubes and that one will not use a single one. Is it black?
    If not, there may be some paint...
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    I bought a Adcom 565 about a month or so ago. Mint condition for exactly what I wanted to pay. ATM I'm researching Nichicon electrolytic caps. The designer of this pre was adamant about using low ESR caps and rated at 105c. While my favorite caps do not come in the values I need I've been looking at these which come in the values and 105c rating.

https://www.partsconnexion.com/NICHICON-76227.html

Has anyone here have experience with the Nichicon KA series? They say designed for audio in all the descriptions I've read.

now these are just one of the values and most are this value and lower. So I can get most of the job done with these but I've never used them so I have no experience with their sound. Two are much higher capacitance and I have not found those yet.

The originals were Jamico caps and I have not found a place that carries them.

the guts.

cl1yn5r3nksz.jpg
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited August 2019
    How much you asking for it and more details please.

Here you go

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184894/lots-of-gear-for-sale/p1
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    Way late to the party you are...
  • SCompRacer
    edited August 2019
    I've used Nichicon KA on a DAC discrete balanced output board with good results. Also in a DAC I once modded.

Just a suggestion, Fred put me on to United Chemi-Con caps. They are well regarded and worked very well in a Krell KSL pre I recapped. It had ~26 of them things. agfrost ended up with that pre and IIRC, is still using it.
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    Where did you aquire the United Chemi-Con from ? I searched digikey for 105c caps and it threw everything and the kitchen sink at me when I tried to narrow it down I got zip....... I hate their website
    Welcome back stranger :p

I have 17 in this puppy.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited August 2019
    What I recall is while the 565 resembled the 555 on the outside, the insides were better, design wise. I'd still go 750 over the 565.

I strongly agree on the 750. However, I found the 565 to be a very nice preamp, and it outperformed my 555 in every respect.

I have owned the GFP-555, GFP-565, and three GFP-750s (one of which I still have).
    Who here has used the GFP 565 and how much better is it than the GFP 555II preamp which I use at the moment.

I never had a GFP 555II. I went from the 555 to the 750 and it was a night and day "stomp the competition into the ground" difference. After over 3.5 years with the 750, I bought a 565 out of curiosity to compare to the 750. I kept the 565 in a second system for 10 months before selling it for more than I paid for it. This contrasted with my immediate desire to sell the 555 after hearing the first note from the 750.

Even though I did not do a direct comparison between the 555 and the 565, I did compare both of them to the 750. The 555 was rendered unlistenable by the 750. The 565 was relegated to secondary duty. By way of extrapolation, I can say that the 565 was a big step up from the 555.

I don't know how much of a performance improvement the 555II provides over the 555. In my opinion the 565 was a performance class above the 555 and the 750 was a performance class above the 565. Sort of like going from a modest compact car, to a nice upper tier full size sedan, to a lower level full size luxury sedan.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • SCompRacer

Thanks!

Overtime is killing me. They can't seem to hire anyone that can fix things. Try Digi Key for the Chemi Con's.

Thanks for the input DarqueKnight.
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019
    Raife the 565 outperforms the 555II very nicely both stock units. I could tell an immediate difference. I'm hopeful that the recap will elevate the 565 even more. The amp is a Adcom 5802 this combination really makes the fully modded 2.3tl's sublime.

Any low ESL 105c electrolytic cap suggestions from you?
  • pitdogg2
    edited August 2019

Thanks!

Overtime is killing me. They can't seem to hire anyone that can fix things. Try Digi Key for the Chemi Con's.

Thanks for the input DarqueKnight.

Will do but if I'm bald when you see me next I'm blaming digikey :D
  • SCompRacer

Will do but if I'm bald when you see me next I'm blaming digikey :D

:D

I haven't listened to my system since you and the guys were here.
  • pitdogg2
  • pitdogg2
    Well if it makes you feel better why you were absent we made fun of that thing you call a cat and called your dog a poodle.

:D
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I'm hopeful that the recap will elevate the 565 even more. The amp is a Adcom 5802 this combination really makes the fully modded 2.3tl's sublime.

Any low ESL 105c electrolytic cap suggestions from you?

It's been many years since I last shopped for electrolytic caps, so I can't directly offer any advice there.

Attached is a four-part series of articles on an extensive modification of the 565 that was done by the author of the 1990 565 Stereophile review and the Stereophile review. The caps listed in the parts lists of those articles should provide insight to current-day equivalent or upgrade caps. The parts lists are found on the following pages in the articles:

Part 1 - page 14 - This parts list didn't scan very well, but you can make out the text by zooming in.
    Part 2 - Page 50.
    Part 3 - Page 48.
    Part 4 - page 36.

s4ybdo9v1z1q.jpg
    Figure 1. My GFP-565 in my office system in 2005, along with a Yamaha TX-1000U tuner, Yamaha CDX-1110U CD player, and Adcom GFA-5400 power amp. I still have the two Yamaha pieces.

kqicpoxci575.jpg
    Figure 2. I kept the 565 in my office system for 10 months, then replaced it with another vintage preamp, a Nakamichi CA-5A II. The GFA-5400 was also replaced with a GFA-555II. The CA-5AII/GFA-555II were in service for 10 years (2005-1015) until they, and the source components, were replaced with a computer audio system which included an Adcom GFP-750/Adcom GFA-565SE combination. Fifteen months later the Adcom gear was replaced by the current Bryston BP-26/4B3 combination.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • pitdogg2
    Truly appreciated Raife Thanks
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    not to change the subject (me?), but, oooh, that TX-1000U tuna is scha-weet. :|