Parasound A23 and 1c’s ......

gyosa
gyosa Posts: 675
So , I’ve decided that I need a new amp to drive either my new Salks or my Sda 1c’s...
Currently driving my sda 1c’s with a parasound A21 , and it does a fine job ...
Found a 1 year old A23 locally for $500....

Anyone here have any experience using an a23 on 1c’s and what are your thoughts ?
Or, I could use the A23 on the salks .

I also have a EX-442 - but it is currently driving my patio rig....

Anyone have any thoughts ?

Thanks
Bk

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM

Comments

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    I'd put the B&K on the 1Cs and find a new amp for the patio rig.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited May 2019
    DaveHo wrote: »
    I'd put the B&K on the 1Cs and find a new amp for the patio rig.

Agree...the b&k should have plenty of power and it’s overkill for a patio rig imho...I mean 75A peak current for a patio rig?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    An A23 isn't really enough to get the best out of a pair of 1Cs. But at that price it may be worth picking up just to have around and work with.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    edited May 2019
    I’ve had the 442 since new ....
    Bought it for the 1c’s - used it for years on them .... fantastic combination
    It got moved to patio/pool rig when I got the A21 .....

The 1c’s are the bedroom rig now on the A21..
    The Salks are going in the den to replace klipsch kg4’s which are hooked up to a onkyo tx-rz610 AVR (100 watts on 2 ch only , and not 4 ohm stable) doing light 2 channel duty for music and TV.

So , I obviously don’t want to power the Salks with an AVR .... hence the need for a new amp ...

I don’t think the onkyo will drive my patio / pool Boston acoustics voyager 7’s to acceptable volume levels without distortion... I guess I could try it ...

The A21 is a bit too large for the den’s media cabinet and the wife doesn’t want to look at it .... was going to either remove the rear handles on amp or modify the cabinet.

Wonder if the A23 is enough for the Salks ?

Or maybe the 442 for the Salks , leave a21 for 1c’s and a23 for patio ?

Problem is mid level AVR’s suck for anything other than light duty and we spend a lot of time in pool .... AND the patio rig sounds REALLY good with the 442 ...

Bk

Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM