How do you deal with component heat?

How do you deal with hot equipment?

My power amp sits on an open console, has two massive exposed heatsinks and yet runs at ~125°F/50°c (measured with a baby thermometer) at a normal listening level and even at idle.

Feels fairly hot to the touch, I can uncomfortably lay my hand on it for a bit, but the builder says it's running per spec and it should run hot.

Regardless, this freaks me out a bit. First, I placed 4 AC infinity low noise fans between the amp and the component that sits on top, I can "bareeeely" hear it and brings the temperature down ~0°F...

I am wondering if I am overthinking on this?

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    I don’t really have to worry about the PS audio equipment, it’s class D and I really don’t ever feel that it’s hot to even when I’ve been cranking it for a while.
    The home theater receiver is a whole other story, it will get hot just watching television at normal levels. The picture below shows a mid-level computer fan set up that I cut into the wood countertop, it is not automatic, yet, but the switch is mounted right underneath the countertop overhang. This works fantastic and has three different levels of speed, the lowest is almost dead silent.

8878orpcft8h.jpeg
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    If it ain't hot, it ain't worth squat.

Yes, you are seriously over thinking and get rid of the fans, which are doing more harm than good.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,967
    I have all of my stuff in an enclosed cabinet... I have ventilated shelving and I run fans that simply draw the heat up to the top and a fan at the top that pushes the air out... I don't recommend running fans directly on top or below equipment as this will draw dirt and dust through the component which will actually make it run hotter... And there may be sensors in the unit that detect temperature which will be thrown off.

But agreed, sound alike you are over thinking it
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    I've noticed the Odyssey runs very hot, I suppose it's running class A...didn't realize it was. Haven't felt heat like this since the Pass. Idles very warm, and, is too hot to touch after being put through a workout. I just crank the AC up.
  • VR3
    A Stratos should not be running hot, even cranked up in my cubby I would say mine ran no more than luke warm.

Those big heat sinks are overdone on that thing.

I'd call Klaus
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    My two solutions for class A or kt88 tube amps were to use them during the cold weather or sell them and let the next guy worry about it.
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,053
    What is there to "worry" about?

They are designed to run that way.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    As long as your bias setting is reading within spec, no worries whatsoever. Sounds like you’re letting it breathe, so enjoy!
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen.
  • kharp1
    VR3 wrote: »
    A Stratos should not be running hot, even cranked up in my cubby I would say mine ran no more than luke warm.

I'd call Klaus

It's not worth the hassle to pack it up and pay to ship a 75lb amp, that's bigger than the average amp, both ways. Play with it till it burns up and sell it for scrap.
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    My Nakamichi PA5 ran so warm that I thought I was on the bad end of a trade. After further looking into it, it is par for course.
    Roasting marshmallows isn't too far fetched lol
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • VR3
    edited May 2019
    kharp1 wrote: »
    VR3 wrote: »

I'd call Klaus

It's not worth the hassle to pack it up and pay to ship a 75lb amp, that's bigger than the average amp, both ways. Play with it till it burns up and sell it for scrap.

I was actually surprised at the cost to ship mine to its new owner, was right around $45 insured.

My Pass Labs amp was running extremely hot, I was glad I sent it off as it was sending some DC to the speakers which would have blown them at a certain point. (Side note: it also did not sound very good)

Just saying, a phone call is free to make sure it sounds right.
  • kharp1
    I'm pretty sure it's off. I put the sacrificial B&W's on it because I sensed something wasn't right with it. Haven't checked the offset yet. I barely have enough time to survive working like I am. The couple of times I've had a few minutes to listen to it I've noticed the amp sounds "hot" like the gain is too high. I changed the gain on the pre and it improved, but, still not right.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Your a 3 hour trip or less to Klaus... save the shipping and just come for a visit to his shop to drop-off and then pickup.....

Get all the piece of mind of knowing no one manhandled it and also get to meet the man himself.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • kharp1
    Well, I lost my license start of the year.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477

See you'll drive the speed limit and safer....
    Maybe have some whiskered furball of a bucket truck driver stop by for a beer.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    heiney9 wrote: »
    What is there to "worry" about?

They are designed to run that way.

H9

This little tidbit from my owners manual.
    z9v2f8uylvht.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Thanks, folks. The amp runs Class A operation up to >6 watts output (most of the listening); Class AB-1 thereafter.

It's pretty toasty, I guess I overreacted adding the 4 5inch fans. It's within spec, I will hope the manufacturer expected 25 plus longevity...

@mhardy6647 nice, funny enough, I never worried about the 6V6GT heat on the guitar amp, which should be well over 400°F

• kharp1
    I checked the DC offset on the Odyssey this morning after I got home from work...and went next door and borrowed back my Fluke. It was very low, no issues there. I think it's just a mismatch issue with the gain of the pre.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

Yikes! For how long?

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • kharp1
    BlueFox wrote: »

Yikes! For how long?

As of now it's for 18 months. I go back to court at the end of June, we'll see what happens then.
  • cortico
    edited May 2019
    Would you care to adjust bias so it measures the same on both channels?

s60w672e36gi.jpeg
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    That isn't far off enough for me to consider adjusting the bias. If we were talking 15+ mayyyybe.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • cortico
    I have set the idle current on both channels at 18MV the across the emitter resistors measured after the amp stabilizes, the heatsink temperature measure ~45celcius, when the amp is opened. (spec is 20mv -/+2 heatsink 40-45c)

After the hood is back down, and with another component on top, temperatures raises up to 51celcius.

It just feels as hot as a car engine or like a radiator... I need to get used to this.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Why are you putting another piece of gear on top of your amp? That's a no-no.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk