3.1 TL current pricing

Found a pair of these close enough to pick up. The only modification looks to be the updated tweeter. The cable does come with them and condition looks ok with all other drivers working.

I have not been looking, but these look like they might be fun to play with and then move them down the road.

I already know selling large coffin speakers is location, location, and location with spotty demand. Is a $600 price range reasonable to not loose too much these days?

thanks.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited May 2019
    Personally to me that seems high.
    That being said since they were the last SDA produced and not in the numbers others were that might be close. But as you said location and condition rules
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    I paid ~$600 for SDA 2 pin/blade perhaps 3--4 years ago. The 3.1 took over that product niche.

$600 is fair--not a stunning deal for the buyer, nor a loss-leader for the seller.
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I'd pay it, but it's mostly cuz there aren't any out my way.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    FestYboy wrote: »
    I'd pay it, but it's mostly cuz there aren't any out my way.

Agree. Go get em! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    I gave $450. for mine from a fellow CP member. They were very rough cosmetically, with no Cable. $500-600 if they are in respectable condition wouldn't be out of line.

Once you have them and do a little work on the x-overs, etc. you may rethink moving them on. The 3.1's are a very good example of the SDA Series.
  • JayMX
    JayMX Posts: 434
    I gave $400 for mine and the RD0198’s were another $100. And I still have cosmetic work to do. I think you’re in the ballpark! Good luck! 👍🏻
    Current Collection: Monitor 4a (Peerless), Monitor 5B (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7b (Peerless), RTA15TL (SL3000), SDA CRS+ (194’s), SDA SRS 2.3TL, R100's, R200’s, R300 🤩
    Pairs that have passed through: Monitor 4b (Peerless), Monitor 5a (Peerless), Monitor 5b (SL1000), Monitor 5b (SL2000) (3x pair), Monitor 7b (Peerless), Modified Monitor 7c’s (194’s), Monitor 10a (Peerless), Monitor 10b (5x pair), RTA8, RTA8TL, RTA 11T, RTA12c (194's), SDA CRS, SDA 2 (2x pair), SDA 2a, SDA 2b, SDA 1b, SDA 1c, SDA SRS 2 (2x pair), SDA SRS 3.1TL (198’s) (2x pair)...and more to come, it’s a sickness.
  • dkfreebird
    dkfreebird Posts: 1,180
    I sold a pair with updated tweeters in great shape for 650 not to long ago. I think the price is fair. I did end up picking up another nice pair two weeks later with one bad tweeter and no cable for less.
    2 Channel
    Polk 1.2tl's Modded with dreadnought
    Musical Fidelity M6Si
    North Star Intenso Dac
    Auralic Aries Mini Streamer
    Oppo 103
    Pangea PC
    Wireworld Equinox 7 interconnects
    Wireworld Equinox 7 Speaker Cables and Jumpers

Backups 2.3tl, Crs+ pin/blade with stands.Monitor 5 peerless,Monitor 4 peerless,Polk R200,McCormack Dna 0.5 Deluxe McCormack Dna 1,Dared Sl 2000A,Dayens Ampino Rogue Magnum 66 pre
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    It could be years before you see another pair tho up for sale anywhere near you. $600 is not too bad.
    I say go get’em if they’re not in too rough shape once you see them. Ask questions though. Why no crossfeed cable? Why are they being sold?
  • cincycat13
    cincycat13 Posts: 882
    Thanks for the quick information. I agree. Seems to be in the fair. I may investigate further. I'll post if I pick them up.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,262
    What are SDA 2Bs in very good to excellent condition with original pin/blade interconnect cable selling for nowadays?
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    la2vegas wrote: »
    I bought mine 3 years ago for $350 in 8/10 condition with cable. However I did drive 2 hours each way to pick them up.

You don't count :p
  • cincycat13
    All prices count. I did about a 4 hour trip for a very nice set of SDA 2.3 for $300. I just watched a set of SRS2 list for 500 then 400 then 300 POOF missed em.

Been doing my searches on the opinions of the models. interesting found one that gave the buy recommendation to the 3.1TL over the 2.3 the SRS2 vrs 3.1TL seemed a bit more mixed.

At 155# no way I am lugging the 2.3 to a second floor medium bedroom to try. I know the bass I get from them and the bookies I am using in my listening room even with a powered sub don't seem to blend as well. Emailed the seller back. See how it goes.
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    I drove from the high desert of Southern California to Phoenix (6 hours each way) to get my 3.1's. They were all stock and in great shape from the original owner. He was asking $700 and I wound up getting them for $550.

I'm thinking $600 for a nice set with cable, tweeter update and close by.... I'd go get them...
  • pumpkinman
    pumpkinman Posts: 9,497
    I paid $100 for mine and then foolishly sold them for $600. I updated one of the dimensional drivers and both tweeters. Very good friend has them and won’t sell them back. Well maybe he’s not such a good friend after all. LOL
    lmivdewpnb28.jpg

Because I am The Pumpkinking

A Kind Word Is An Easy Gift To Give
  • cincycat13
    I always love the acquisition stories. Thanks for sharing all. Evidently the current owner of these got them out of Indiana about a year ago for a bit more money. He has some large Advent speakers on the way and his wife is saying something has to go story. He doesn't know if the internals were worked on. Maybe take a chance and get lucky with the tweeters being done.

I have a delivered offer as he works near me fairly often so the deal is getting more tempting.
  • honestaquarian
    cincycat13 wrote: »
    All prices count. I did about a 4 hour trip for a very nice set of SDA 2.3 for $300. I just watched a set of SRS2 list for 500 then 400 then 300 POOF missed em.

Been doing my searches on the opinions of the models. interesting found one that gave the buy recommendation to the 3.1TL over the 2.3 the SRS2 vrs 3.1TL seemed a bit more mixed.

At 155# no way I am lugging the 2.3 to a second floor medium bedroom to try. I know the bass I get from them and the bookies I am using in my listening room even with a powered sub don't seem to blend as well. Emailed the seller back. See how it goes.

Bedroom?!?!?
    You’re gonna put some big **** SDA-SRS in the bedroom?!?!!🤭😲
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    He has some large Advent speakers on the way and his wife is saying something has to go

Has he considered the wife?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • cincycat13
    audioluvr wrote: »
    He has some large Advent speakers on the way and his wife is saying something has to go

Has he considered the wife?

LMAO. yeah room is 14x11 doesn't look like it will matter. I got the extra $100 I needed they are sale pending...but it is a fleabay buyer so I have a slim chance.

always another deal later. thanks again for the input.
  • honestaquarian
    Well just to throw in my acquisition story, I got my 3.1TL’s bone stock with the crossfeed cable for $450 and drove two hours each way in a rental from Washington, D.C. to Nesqohoning, Pennsylvania. Dead of winter in the middle of January with temps in the teens and snow everywhere. It was worth the trip though. They blew away my SDA-1C’s in stock condition. Now with all of the upgrades they REALLY sing!
  • ddog
    Be prepared to go completely down the upgrade rabbit hole...
    There's a ton of mods for the 3.1TL's that can and should be done that'll really improve the way they sound.

And those VR3 crossovers aren't cheap either...
    Ask me how I know...

• honestaquarian
    @ddog did you get a dreadnought with the new crossovers like I did?
  • ddog
    edited May 2019
    No... VR3 is including the cable with the crossover kit but I still will need a dreadnought if I want to use my monoblocks..
    Any ideas who might have one for sale..

Thanks
  • honestaquarian
    edited May 2019
    @ddog have a look at the last dreadnought group buy thread. They are still patiently awaiting their transformers because of a delay in the manufacturing process. Several of the buyers purchased multiple transformers and might be willing to sell the extras----once they actually receive the bloody things :D
    Worst case scenario is the fact that Avel-Lindburg sells the 800VA version over the counter if you will. No group buy is needed for that one.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    edited May 2019
    There will be some 800va dreadnoughts coming up for sale as well as a 1000va I've heard.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • ddog
    Sounds good guys...keep me in mind.
    I'll definitely take one!

Thanks again
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    TennMan wrote: »
    What are SDA 2Bs in very good to excellent condition with original pin/blade interconnect cable selling for nowadays?

I’d figure 300-350

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • cincycat13
    Well, looks like I missed them. I had a proposal at $600 and sat too long. They went on fleabay for $800 in under 30 minutes. Just posting for others who may research current pricing.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    @erniejade perhaps you can PM cincy what your going to ask for yours that your selling (in Chicago)...

I also wonder if those 3.1's your talking about were previously owned by @indyhawg in Indy has he had a set he sold not too long ago....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I sold mine to Travis @trav0810 a few years ago. I am not sure where they went from his place.