Pioneer Elite UDP-LX500

2»

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    mantis wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    pulled it out I felt like I went back 10 plus years and had a solid well built quality warming piece of gear in my hands. I didn't want to put it down LOL.

Yeah we were all 14 at one time....
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Emlyn wrote: »
    I was watching a streaming movie on Vudu last night with a strong internet connection on a high speed network. It crashed 40 minutes in and would not start back up. Discs don’t do that. I started the same movie on Amazon though and no problems.

I LOVE streaming for it's convenience but all it takes is Dunkirk on Blu ray for me to keep the idea of physical media alive in my house hold. What a beautiful looking and sounding movie.

Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    One of the things that I always loved about Pioneer and their combi players was their ability to play so many different types of discs.
  • honestaquarian
    edited March 2019
    xsqps1nrpu1m.jpeg
    My DVL-91 went from playing this (12” Laserdisc)
  • honestaquarian
    09mukxef9l0y.jpeg

To this (3” CD) without a hitch
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Try an SACD in that Flintstone technology then come talk to me...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • honestaquarian
    hdjbulhnlcqv.jpeg
    87bpfeaaupg8.jpeg

Okay how about the predecessor to SACD and DVD-A
    The 24/96 DAD?? ;):p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    All you have are predecessors... Jesse had a predecessor too called "dirt". But even he would tell you things have advanced much since then.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Grimster74 wrote: »
    I'll be interested to here your final thoughts. I'm in the market for a good 4K player like the Oppo (shame they got out of the business) but everything out right now just seems sub-par.
    After spending time with the Pioneer and owned the Oppo since last year I can honestly say the Pioneer is fantastic in every way. When you use it vs the Oppo and the thought of the Oppo breaking to the point of no repair, the Pioneer can easily step in take it's place and all would be right in the world for the moments it's spinning disc's.
    It's taller and looks better then the Oppo as well and that is one thing I really like better about it not to mention the soft touch disc tray. That is something that every time you touch it you get the sense of quality, craftsmanship and comfort. It starts the warm feelings before you sit back down and listen. It sets the mood man. The Oppo simply can't compete here.
    I'd say buy it dude, it's a killer player in all regards,I can't see anyone not being totally happy with it's performance appearance and built quality. Even the damn remote is very nice which not many devices at all have a nice factory remote if you use them anyway. I don't but if I did the Pioneer remote feels right in your hand and you can see it in the dark with it's back light.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    The main problem I see with what Pioneer produced is they left out a wifi receiver. There may be a performance reason for that, but it is a curious omission. I don’t have a LAN connection to my home theater, so lack of wifi is a drawback for firmware updates and streaming content from a NAS. Oppo nailed those two things.
  • honestaquarian
    @Emlyn whilst I agree with you, this is an easy fix. You can get WiFi dongle that plugs into the LAN input from a lot of places and they’re usually pretty inexpensive.
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,564
    mantis wrote: »
    I'll be interested to here your final thoughts. I'm in the market for a good 4K player like the Oppo (shame they got out of the business) but everything out right now just seems sub-par.
    After spending time with the Pioneer and owned the Oppo since last year I can honestly say the Pioneer is fantastic in every way. When you use it vs the Oppo and the thought of the Oppo breaking to the point of no repair, the Pioneer can easily step in take it's place and all would be right in the world for the moments it's spinning disc's.
    It's taller and looks better then the Oppo as well and that is one thing I really like better about it not to mention the soft touch disc tray. That is something that every time you touch it you get the sense of quality, craftsmanship and comfort. It starts the warm feelings before you sit back down and listen. It sets the mood man. The Oppo simply can't compete here.
    I'd say buy it dude, it's a killer player in all regards,I can't see anyone not being totally happy with it's performance appearance and built quality. Even the damn remote is very nice which not many devices at all have a nice factory remote if you use them anyway. I don't but if I did the Pioneer remote feels right in your hand and you can see it in the dark with it's back light.

Well, I ended up purchasing the Panasonic DP-UB820 4K player yesterday. The price was more in my price range currently with having two kids in college. I also snagged the Apple TV 4K last week so most of my movie watching has been done with that. I've read some pretty good reviews of the Panasonic so I decided to give this unit a try. If I don't like what I see I may end up returning it and going the Pioneer direction. Hoping to get the unit hooked up tomorrow so I'll give my impressions once I get everything hooked up and running.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • mantis
    edited April 2019
    My final thoughts is this. The Pioneer is a superior player to just about everything made today. Since Oppo is out the Pioneer is my only choice if I wanted to buy another player. I would not buy the Panasonic simply due to the fact it's not universal. Unless your looking for just a 4k player, then I'd check out the Panasonic as it's really nice and worthy.
    The Pioneer has flaw is it's GUI, it's dated as F*&K. It's the same thing they used since I can remember and I had a lot of Pioneer Elite Universal players.
    Buy one and take it home, I don't see you going wrong with it. Unless you can find an reasonable priced Oppo 203 or even the mighty 205 then I'd probably go that way.
    I saw you went with the Panasonic which is a solid player. Good luck with that and I'd like to read a review on your thoughts of it.
    Dan
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice read on this thread! Man that Pioneer is tempting for sure! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • honestaquarian
    @mantis I've been meaning to ask you if the Pioneer is capable of streaming Hi-Rez music over your network and also if it supports SMB streaming like the Oppo does?
  • honestaquarian
    6rtdat2cndp5.jpeg

The three at the bottom are the SMB (Server Messenger Block) coming from my computer and backup hard drive.
    This is the network menu on my Oppo.
    The three at the top are DLNA
  • mantis
    @mantis I've been meaning to ask you if the Pioneer is capable of streaming Hi-Rez music over your network and also if it supports SMB streaming like the Oppo does?
    I did not test it over the network as I have a bunch of High REZ files on a USB Disc. I didn't even consider trying that. I think it does , you might want to check out the manual on the pioneer website if your considering buying it and want this feature.

Dan