Budget 2CH Rig for Newbies - A Challenge

124»

Comments

• verb wrote: »
    That's awesome! Nice bunch of rigs you got there buddy! You're probably like me, always looking around to find the deal! Part of the journey, and fun! Welcome to CP! :smile:

Thanks Verb. The journey and the listening and the deals make me smile in this chaotic world.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    StevePaige wrote: »
    verb wrote: »
    That's awesome! Nice bunch of rigs you got there buddy! You're probably like me, always looking around to find the deal! Part of the journey, and fun! Welcome to CP! :smile:

Thanks Verb. The journey and the listening and the deals make me smile in this chaotic world.

Right on! Hang out here, especially the classifieds, and you'll find some smoking deals on really top notch stuff! I know I did. Basement is starting to fill up! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So my buddy is back in the game, as he texted me for suggestions on a power amp today. Found these minty Adcom GFA 545 mono blocks for $160 each! Seems like a good deal! What'cha think?
    s4gw3j044f0c.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/d/vassar-adcom-gfa-545-power-amps-2-avail/6872672417.html
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited April 2019
    So my buddy is back in the game, as he texted me for suggestions on a power amp today. Found these minty Adcom GFA 545 mono blocks for $160 each! Seems like a good deal! What'cha think?
    s4gw3j044f0c.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/mcb/ele/d/vassar-adcom-gfa-545-power-amps-2-avail/6872672417.html

I was under the impression that they were 2 channels, there could be a monoblock version but I am not aware of it.

I have one of these and they power my SDA 2Bs without breaking a sweat. Can't tell if they are a Mk1 or 2. I have the Mk1 but some people fight over which is the better model.

They have no speaker protection so if they haven't been recapped and serviced that would be the first thing I would do to avoid any issues with the amp kicking the dust and taking the speakers with it.

Some attribute these amps to being bright, that hasn't been my experience. I run them with a vintage Denon Preamp. Some say if you pair them with the lower/mid Adcom GFP Preamps that they sound grainy and clinical. Either way they have FANTASTIC control over bass and loads of it.

I bought my GFA for $120...recapped.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • verb
    I think you are correct. 2 channels each amp, he just has 2 of em! Even better deal for my buddy! :smile:
  • codycatalist
    I think you are correct. 2 channels each amp, he just has 2 of em! Even better deal for my buddy! :smile:

They are nice forays into decent mid-fi amps. I like mine and currently am not in a rush to get something different. Tell him to keep fuses on standby, I have made mistakes and blown a couple on each channel.

Probably a good idea to test DC offset as well since there is a lack of protection.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • verb
    Thanks brother. DC offset? Not sure what that means! Help a brother out! :smile:
  • codycatalist
    Of course. A channel can develop more DC than the other. Usually amp manufacturers have a certain spec and threshold that is considered "good", I have read anything below 100mv is good enough.

To check you have to use a multimeter and turn the amp on with sources connected but speakers disconnected. Connect the ground of the multimeter to the ground terminal post and hot to hot. Read the output. Let the amp sit idle for 10 min plus so it gets up to normal operating status before you test. Repeat the same for the second channel.

Now I can't remember the setting on the multimeter you need to set it to but I'm sure someone will chime in.

• codycatalist
    Reason this is so important in your scenario is Adcoms lack of speaker protection is lack of protecting the speakers from DC which will fry them faster than a Turkey on thanksgiving.

Some other issues DC offset can cause is channel imbalance, one side of the amp getting hotter than the other which can lead to a failing cap.

• verb
    Thank you sir! I can do that! And interesting. Learn something new every day on CP! :smile:
  • codycatalist
    No problem dude. I don't know much but happy to give what information or experiences I have.

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I am late to this thread... but I have a Dared Sl200 preamp I got from Paul, then gave it back and bought my own as many Polkies have own and loved! then I added some Dared Monoblocks the VP-300B's together I got them for $800

they only put out 9 WPC but for high efficiency speakers they made a sweet system with my full range speakers.

but you can use the preamp with some cheaper amplifiers that hit at 100-150 WPC in the same price range and start a wonderful preamp + amp combo that will shove you straight down the rabbits hole to a none stop life of trying to keep up with the jones that will take over your wallet to the ruin of you $$$ but to the love of your audiophile ears >:)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • cortico
    cortico Posts: 587
    Maybe something along these lines?
    2asll2n27w5x.jpeg
  • verb
    Nice! I did recommend some of the Parasound items to my buddy. Especially previous gen, which can be had for a bargain! :smile:
  • cortico
    edited April 2019
    Nice! I did recommend some of the Parasound items to my buddy. Especially previous gen, which can be had for a bargain! :smile:

I really enjoy them, very well voiced and plenty of power, a pleasure to listen, I have to thank this forum for that!

I would grab the newer JC top of the line stereo amps in a hearth breath...too :)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited April 2019
    Heh -- thanks to the kindness of one of the northern New England vacuum tube hifi gurus, I have the tuner that matches those Parasound components.
    It is a remarkably respectable tuner, actually, in terms of both RF and AF performance.
    (FWIW)

:)

ssv2v1cliari.png
  • cortico
    Nice! I am a radio listener and that tuner is on my list!
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Heh -- thanks to the kindness of one of the northern New England vacuum tube hifi gurus, I have the tuner that matches those Parasound components.
    It is a remarkably respectable tuner, actually, in terms of both RF and AF performance.
    (FWIW)

:)

ssv2v1cliari.png

What model tuner is that from Parasound?
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)
  • cortico
    Looks like a T/DQ1600
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited May 2019
    cortico wrote: »
    Looks like a T/DQ1600

I think that's correct -- I actually went back to using the MR-67 (underneath the Parasound in the photo above) a few months ago, so the Parasound's leaning up in the corner by a pair of AR-3s :p I will check next time I go upstairs, FWIW.

Someone I know picked it up for $5 at a local (to him) yard sale. Saying "you like tuners", he subsequently passed it along to me. It's nice to have enabling acquaintances :|

I was, frankly, surprised by how "hot" (sensitive) it was and by its better than average (for solid state tuners) audio quality. It is a very decent tuner by any reasonable standard.

The MR-67 does sound better, but it was rather more expensive B)

• codycatalist
    You know I see those models for sale ALL the time in my area. Never heard them though.

• verb
    My buddy was all excited today, and I for him! He purchased a B&K ST1400 Mk2 Amp! Stock image.
    m66ivmoqpjgm.png
  • verb
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    You know I see those models for sale ALL the time in my area. Never heard them though.

Honestly I found them a little thin and sterile sounding. Definitely plenty of power, but the bass seemed a little weak and they just didn’t sound as musical as the (relatively cheap) adcom and audiosource amps I had at the time. Imho of course...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Honestly I found them a little thin and sterile sounding. Definitely plenty of power, but the bass seemed a little weak and they just didn’t sound as musical as the (relatively cheap) adcom and audiosource amps I had at the time. Imho of course...

Which is odd for Marantz. I figured something had to be up for so many to be out in the wild for low prices.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    rooftop59 wrote: »

Which is odd for Marantz. I figured something had to be up for so many to be out in the wild for low prices.

Yea, but they were early home theater amps from the mid to late 90s. While they measured well, and have plenty of power, they just don't seem to have been designed with audio first in mind...

On the other hand, I really like my little marantz avr, and find it more musical though limited in the typical mid range avr ways...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • HzTweaker
    HzTweaker Posts: 723
    Looks like a T/DQ1600

mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Looks like a T/DQ1600

I think that's correct -- I actually went back to using the MR-67 (underneath the Parasound in the photo above) a few months ago, so the Parasound's leaning up in the corner by a pair of AR-3s :p I will check next time I go upstairs, FWIW.

Someone I know picked it up for $5 at a local (to him) yard sale. Saying "you like tuners", he subsequently passed it along to me. It's nice to have enabling acquaintances :|

I was, frankly, surprised by how "hot" (sensitive) it was and by its better than average (for solid state tuners) audio quality. It is a very decent tuner by any reasonable standard.

The MR-67 does sound better, but it was rather more expensive B)

Thanks for the info!
    2ch rig:Speakers: LSi9s with VR3's Fortress modsPreamplifier: Parasound P5Amplifier: Parasound A23CDP: Pioneer DV-563ACables: Wireworld Equinox 7 XLR ICs, Wireworld Ultraviolet 7 USB, AudioQuest Q2s, AudioQuest NRG X(preamp)