Audyssey is WEIRD

Options
mrloren
mrloren Posts: 2,454
Hello,

So over a week ago I was just playing around and flipped the phase switch on my sub to 180 and got a big hello from my sub https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/186251/sub-phase#latest.

I had to take this week off (just burned out). I ran Audyssey with the phase @ 180 and the bass went back to how it was. Flip it back to 0 and boom back to awesome. I also tried using the sub crossover vs the AVR with the same outcome. For whatever reason audyssey is setting the sub out of phase.

Don't get me wrong my system sounded good before. After just flipping the switch it's like WOW. The wife and I watched a movie, in 3 minutes she was asking what did I add.

Best results I've found is to set the sub to use it's C/O, run Audyssey @ phase 0 and when done just flip the switch to 180.
When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    Certain flavors of audyssey calibrate the subs, that being the newer versions. Calibration programs aren’t perfect

Many people, using all versions of calibration programs see a speaker out of phase warning when nothing is wrong, not surprising a sub can be calibrated out of phase.

Many sub companies will advise making certain adjustments after running a calibration program for similar reasons you have experienced. It’s a good idea to use any calibration program as a base line, record the settings, and tweak the settings a little.

Glad to hear that your experimenting with your AVR to try improving the sound.

This being a music oriented site, not much discussion on HT related issues. My current AVR, Yamaha, has similar calibration issues, but playing around with different settings seemed to get better sound, at least to my ears.

There are reasons the calibration programs aren’t perfect, and those can lead to multiple threads, but overall they are pretty good. No way those engineers can design a program for every imperfect room that we all have to deal with.
  • jeremymarcinko
    jeremymarcinko Posts: 3,785
    Options
    Maybe not your issue but I thought audyssey and the like, calibrated the sub -10db (75db) under reference (85db) to compensate for the +10 bump on Dolby formats. Also the reason for dynamic eq algorithms is to bring the sub levels back up to enjoyable levels.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    After the calibration, what do your subwoofer levels come out to for 0 phase and 180 phase? Are they different? When you calibrate it with 180 phase is Audyssey just setting the level lower? If so, just adjust it up. Most people bump up the subwoofer level after the Audyssey calibration.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    Thorton wrote: »
    After the calibration, what do your subwoofer levels come out to for 0 phase and 180 phase? Are they different? When you calibrate it with 180 phase is Audyssey just setting the level lower? If so, just adjust it up. Most people bump up the subwoofer level after the Audyssey calibration.

in either 0 or 180 Audyssey sets the sub @ -5db. It sounds darn good off the bat. Flip it over to opposite the calibration setting and there is a ton more bass. One thing is if I just leave it the sub is a tad localized. flip the switch and bammmmm a ton more bass and no localizing of the sub at all.

My wife and both of the kids have even said how much better it is.

Just weird audyssey setting it all up like that.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    Options
    All that matters is that it sounds good to you. Until you experiment you never know. Glad you found a setup you're enjoying.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics