Sennheiser HD 6XX back on sale @ Mass drop $199.00

Dabutcher
Dabutcher Posts: 2,588
nv5yw5blxc2t.png
MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Butcher, do you buy all these cans you post? I kinda do.
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Saw these and very tempted .... a Producer friend of my daughter's uses them for rough mixing and claims they are the most accurate cans he's ever used, with zero fatigue.
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    Tempted but the tax man has taken wind out of my sails
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Got in on that drop during the last iteration.
    Won't ship until July though, so no comments/reviews until then.
  • Dabutcher
    edited April 2018
    I only listen to headphones or ear buds when traveling with wife driving and her listening to pop. Or when I am at the dog park or doing something outdoors. Inside I listen to speakers in my systems. I have the Sennheiser HD558 and Polk ultafocus 8000. Those are the most expensive cans I own. And lots of cheap ones . Peace. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Cans are fun although I don't need em anymore since I ditched the ball and chain. Cans keep me calm and mostly keep me from chewing my restraints.
  • Dabutcher
    Back on Drop. Ship in one day. 52000 pairs sold so far. Love yours, Dfwsp1u9mxhns.png
  • 52,000 pairs sold wow! I guess I'm the only one who hasn't bought one yet. Look good. Does anyone have hands on experience with these?
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited September 2018
    krazypolk wrote: »
    52,000 pairs sold wow! I guess I'm the only one who hasn't bought one yet. Look good. Does anyone have hands on experience with these?

Yes. They're pretty spectacular. You will benefit from a headphone amp that is designed to drive them properly. I have a Massdrop Objective 02 headphone amp and it does the job. However, the Schiit Valhalla Triode OTL Headphone Amp AND Preamp is said to be the perfect compliment to the HD6XX.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Mine are in a box, in a box, in a storage unit right now. Won't see them again for another 5 months... :(
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • imsjry
    imsjry Posts: 120
    I use these with my laptop and never felt they needed an amp. Out of my iPhone...absolutely need the amp.
  • imsjry
    Speaking of....any good headphone amp recommendations for these under $200?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    imsjry wrote: »

Topping A30 worth a look.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    imsjry wrote: »

The O2+SDAC they also have is not crufty at all.
    I have them both in my work office & I'm happy

Jazz & small group classical.
  • imsjry
    Anyone tried the Schitt Magni or Fulla ($99.00) pared with these?
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited April 2019
    krazypolk wrote: »
    52,000 pairs sold wow! I guess I'm the only one who hasn't bought one yet. Look good. Does anyone have hands on experience with these?
    I've been saying I'm going to buy a pair for about the last 5 years.... its still yet to happen. Maybe I should try to find an amp first.. see who that approach works. One day.....
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    I like my Little Dot 1+. I got it for $120 plus $25 for some GE JAN5654w tubes. I have been using it 5 days of the week for around 5-6 hours a day for the last two years or so, not one single problem.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited January 2020
    So are these exactly the same as the HD 650s besides the shorter cable and the paint color. Sound signature wise are they the same? Who has heard both the HD6XX and the HD 650's?
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    So are these exactly the same as the HD 650s besides the shorter cable and the paint color. Sound signature wise are they the same? Who has heard both the HD6XX and the HD 650's?

On headfi they felt strongly enough about the similarities that they rolled both headphones into one thread. It's over 2,000 pages long. I'm sure there are some people in there that have discussed owning both and can discuss additional differences, if any. I've always heard that they are the same.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd650-massdrop-hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • gudnoyez
    edited January 2020

On headfi they felt strongly enough about the similarities that they rolled both headphones into one thread. It's over 2,000 pages long. I'm sure there are some people in there that have discussed owning both and can discuss additional differences, if any. I've always heard that they are the same.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sennheiser-hd650-massdrop-hd6xx-impressions-thread.197776/

Thanks for the link I've read the info you provided, along with a few off the Hoffman forum, and a few other ones I found. I've been wanting a pair of HD650's since my HD598's and HD600'S need a new companion. I have now read enough comparisons on both the HD650 vs the HD6XX to say that at the 199.00 price plus a $20 first time order from the Drop brings these HD6XX's to $179.00 meaning I would be a fool not to jump on these instead of paying $300 for the HD650's. I'm going to get the 6XXs instead.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

• agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    I bought a pair of the HD6XX--no regrets! ...just need to get my Bottlehead Crack/Speedball built, it's been sitting in its box for much too long.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • halo

Thanks for the link I've read the info you provided, along with a few off the Hoffman forum, and a few other ones I found. I've been wanting a pair of HD650's since my HD598's and HD600'S need a new companion. I have now read enough comparisons on both the HD650 vs the HD6XX to say that at the 199.00 price plus a $20 first time order from the Drop brings these HD6XX's to $179.00 meaning I would be a fool not to jump on these instead of paying $300 for the HD650's. I'm going to get the 6XXs instead.

I have a pair in excellent condition that I'm not using and I have 2 different JDS Labs headphone amps that are also in excellent condition (Atom & Objective 02).

I can probably save you some money rather than purchasing from Drop. :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • gudnoyez
    PM sent.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    I have own the 600 and 650 and 700 Senn's are they all are awesome and for me better then my Grado RS2's and the HiFi Mans HE400's which was bought sent back to me by fellow polkies! One who I think also prefers the Senn's 600's B)
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    agfrost wrote: »
    I bought a pair of the HD6XX--no regrets! ...just need to get my Bottlehead Crack/Speedball built, it's been sitting in its box for much too long.

man get off your but and get it together my friend :) I finally built mind. and love it!!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

• ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    edited January 2020

Didn't we discuss this...BAJEEZUS man...get off the pot!!

>:)

I have both HD6xx's and HD650's. Can't tell the difference.

If you've got coin to blow check out ZMF headphones. They're usually at AXPONA if you need a listen. It's very confusing as to which one does what but they are very nice. I've got the Autuer's, picked 'em up last year at a discount at AXPONA.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • halo
    ALL212 wrote: »

Didn't we discuss this...BAJEEZUS man...get off the pot!!

>:)

I have both HD6xx's and HD650's. Can't tell the difference.

If you've got coin to blow check out ZMF headphones. They're usually at AXPONA if you need a listen. It's very confusing as to which one does what but they are very nice. I've got the Autuer's, picked 'em up last year at a discount at AXPONA.

Do you have any pics of them Aaron?
  • voltz
    I love Arron for the Fact the he has become the coolest Bottle Crack man alive :) I bought some of his stuff he has made :) Lord can this man make cook! he makes some of the best Headphone amps out there, our you can too by following Arron's path..just ask & he will walk down the path to head-phone heaven!

• gudnoyez
    edited January 2020
    7tbj0mggzmbj.jpg
    Thanks to Halo I got a hella deal on a pair of the 6XX and one of ALL212's custom made cords. I plan on trying them out on the Oppo 105D as I also recieved the new Blue Oyster Cult live in Cleveland Blu Ray, now the 105D has enough gain to handle the 598's and the 600's with ease so I'm hoping it will drive these 6XX's the same if not I will put them on my JDS labs. Another smooth transaction on the Polk Forum, from another admirable Polkie. I will report back after I get a few days on these new to me 6XX's.

It was suggested to start with the stock cord first get familiar with it then move on to the custom cord. So I will have some fun comparing the two.
    Home Theater

2 Channel

Stuff for the Head

• halo
    7tbj0mggzmbj.jpg
    Thanks to Halo I got a hella deal on a pair of the 6XX and one of ALL212's custom made cords. I plan on trying them out on the Oppo 105D as I also recieved the new Blue Oyster Cult live in Cleveland Blu Ray, now the 105D has enough gain to handle the 598's and the 600's with ease so I'm hoping it will drive these 6XX's the same if not I will put them on my JDS labs. Another smooth transaction on the Polk Forum, from another admirable Polkie. I will report back after I get a few days on these new to me 6XX's.

It was suggested to start with the stock cord first get familiar with it then move on to the custom cord. So I will have some fun comparing the two.

I’m very happy that they arrived safely. Enjoy!!!