Concerned - Atrium 6

Options
I purchased my Polk Atrium 6 speakers last year and they were awesome. This year I have issues with them (bad distortion and water sloshing around inside). Both have the same serial number and I'm having a hard time with customer support at Polk as a result. I asked in another forum and others also have the same serial number on both speakers in the pair. How about you? Can anyone with Polk Atrium series speakers take a quick look at the SN and see if they're the same or different? I feel like my issue is not getting resolved at Polk due to what might be normal? My case is still open with Polk, so they haven't denied it, but I don't know why I have to keep explaining that both of the speakers giving me problems right now have the same serial number. Help!

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,793
    Options
    Why not open them up and pour the water out? Then figure out how it got in.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• carey6503
    Options
    Nope. The reason I purchased these speakers is because of their resistance to the elements. If they're not doing that, there's something wrong with them and should be handled accordingly under the warranty. Besides, why is the sound distorted so badly? That tells me some kind of damage is already done. I'm not about to turn them into a science project and void whatever chance I have at getting them covered under the warranty.
  • F1nut
    Options
    I thought the distortion issue would be obvious, they are full of water.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,826
    Options
    I'm having a hard time understanding what serial numbers have to do with water getting inside them. If you're the original owner and have a receipt, I fail to see why
    they won't help you.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • carey6503
    Options
    I think you guys are missing the point. I'm trying to get my speakers serviced via the warranty, yet I keep getting told that I need to provide more information or more pictures showing the same serial numbers. The fact that they have the same SN on both speakers should not have anything to do with whether or not I am able to get them serviced, but for some reason it is a problem with Polk CS. Yes I am the original buyer (less than a year ago), and yes I have proof of purchase. As an aside, I have confirmed with at least one other buyer of Atrium 6 speakers that the SN is the same on both, so from what I can see, this is the norm. Yet this seems to be a foreign concept with support, preventing me from getting my faulty speakers replaced.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    They are sold in pairs.... Makes sense to me they would have matching serial numbers
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    So welcome to CP @carey6503 I feel your pain! Frustrating for sure. Good news is that the warranty on them is pretty good.

f0548c7thkcp.png

So are you able to take pictures of each speaker, with the serial number? Same or not? Maybe side by side? Gonna have to take em down anyway.

A bit of a hassle, maybe, but that type of required information is not uncommon, in my experience.

Hang in there, it'll work out. I can say that I've had outstanding CS from Polk in the past.

Keep us informed!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    Options
    Looks like it's on the back on the speaker.
    rl5yn9r66uzq.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • polrbehr
    Options
    @carey6503 I was not questioning you or why/how this happened, but rather why they seem reluctant to help you?
    Definitely report back when you hear something.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

• carey6503
    Options
    @verb and @VR3 Thanks for the feedback. I already provided images of one speaker with SN (early last week). And then upon request, provided a picture of both with SN (later last week). I'm waiting to hear back. If they ask for a side-by-side I'll provide one, I just don't want to take them both down until I receive the replacements. It's spring and I don't want two empty speaker brackets making my backyard look ugly. First-world-problem, I know. The point above about them only being sold in pairs, and not individually, should be explanation enough about the matching SNs. I think Atrium 8s are the only ones in the series that can be purchased individually.

The crappy thing is that I'm a huge Polk fan and have been for years. -- I have Polk all over my house and office, and always promote them to friends and family. -- However this is the first time I've had to contact support, and I'm really disappointed so far.

This is a pretty straightforward issue IMO. I'll report back.

@polrbehr Yes, I did misinterpret your first post. :wink: It's pretty clear now when I read it back, but hanks for clarifying.
  • VR3
    Options
    I would ask for Kim Jasper or Ken.

I have talked to "other" people there and the tone is extremely defensive and negative. The vibe is you versus the company at times unfortunately.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • verb
    Options
    Good approach @carey6503! Persistence is the key when it comes to making things happen! I’m sure all will work out in the end!
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    For what's it's worth, I have two pair of the Atrium 6's, one set under cover and the second out in the elements. The one set is mounted vertically and fully exposed to the insane Texas downpours we get.

After reading this I pulled one down (just because I was out there after work yesterday stringing some RGB lights for an upcoming Derby party anyway) and it seems dry as a bone internally (no sloshing heard). Sound remains fantastic since I last used them back in October.

Possible you have cone separation since yours is distorted which would allow water intrusion. A neighbor had a different brand last year and experienced wasp building a nest inside between the grill and cone that caused all sorts of crazy distortions. They got in through damage in the grill. Not related but critters will take advantage of any little defect.

Good luck with getting resolution.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• carey6503
    Options
    UPDATE: I called Polk CS again today and they have approved the warranty claim. They'll be sending a new pair within the next 7-10 days. No mention of the serial number issue. Thanks for the input everyone.

@RobbyKY thanks for the insight. These are actually mounted on the outside of my garage, under the eaves. So they do get exposure to our (Chicago) rains, but it's not necessarily direct exposure as the eaves protect them somewhat. I had them stored inside the garage, out of the snow and sub-zero weather for the winter, and we have only had one heavy rain since I put them back up. I suppose there could be some internal obstruction, but a good external inspection didn't suggest anything. I didn't mention before, but I have these mounted horizontally (but pointed down about 45 degrees). I wonder if that allows for more water to get through, or maybe doesn't allow it to drain properly if it does get in. Now you have me rethinking my mounting option. :smile:
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Options
    This thread, makes me wonder, with the magic of the internet and this being a "Customer Service" sub-forum, why would there not be at least one person at Polk Customer Service, that regularly scours threads such as this?

It seems this section has become the place to complain about customer service, but with no direct input usually.

(yes I know Ken S would join in, but I mean the current Customer Service people)

Would seem a great way to minimize the complaining and bashing of Polk.
  • carey6503
    Options
    @K_M I couldn't have said it better myself! This is the perfect opportunity for Polk to get ahead of any issues (even if those issues are just perception). Being proactive goes a long way. And who knows, maybe these forums are even monitored (I'd be surprised if they weren't), but having an official Polk representative chiming in would certainly go a long way.
  • verb
    Options
    Well done @carey6503 ! Congrats!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    Polk may be shifting more of its support to its social media platform(s)?
    I am not sure, because I don't "do" so-called social media (i.e., Twitter, Facebook, etc.) myself, but I have read this in other threads.

The OP and other interested parties might (???) want to take a look at Polk's Facebook presence & see if there is better (faster turnaround) customer support via that route.

• F1nut
    Options
    This section was never monitored by anyone other than Ken S. from the very beginning despite numerous suggestions from long time veterans of this forum including yours truly that a CS rep at Polk do so daily. Since Polk CS has trouble answering phone calls and responding to emails these days why would someone think they have time to monitor the forum?

President of Club Polk

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Pretty disappointed after reading this thread. Darn shame if every complaint has to be brought upward to Kim Jasper or Ken, they aren't the only people in CS....AND isn't that the point ?

Wake up Polk, if you want customers to be loyal to the brand, the brand also has to be loyal to them.

HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • polrbehr
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    Pretty disappointed after reading this thread. Darn shame if every complaint has to be brought upward to Kim Jasper or Ken, they aren't the only people in CS....AND isn't that the point ?

Wake up Polk, if you want customers to be loyal to the brand, the brand also has to be loyal to them.

Might have to add that to my sig...

• carey6503
    Options
    Wow, apparently I was an unintentional match to the pile of kindling that was already here. Polk, monitoring and getting ahead of social medial is not optional these days. Take it from someone who could charge for that advice... quite literally. Love ya, but stay ahead of this to keep face.

If someone joins a forum bearing your name it's either because they love you, or they have a bone to pick. Either way, these are the squeaky wheels who matter most. Get that grease gun out.
  • K_M
    edited March 2019
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    This section was never monitored by anyone other than Ken S. from the very beginning despite numerous suggestions from long time veterans of this forum including yours truly that a CS rep at Polk do so daily. Since Polk CS has trouble answering phone calls and responding to emails these days why would someone think they have time to monitor the forum?

We do not agree often, but agree 100% on this.
    Sadly this is the reality.
    I think many consumers, especially under the age of 40 or so expect to not have to make actual "voice" phone calls, and expect an online presence or the ability to "Chat" to a customer service person online via PM's.
  • stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,185
    Options
    You are missing the point that they refuse to answer phone calls as well. It’s a bad situation all around and it’s been going on way too long. I have moved on from having any Polk equipment in my house now
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • K_M
    Options
    stangman67 wrote: »
    You are missing the point that they refuse to answer phone calls as well. It’s a bad situation all around and it’s been going on way too long. I have moved on from having any Polk equipment in my house now

No I get that...I was agreeing about it.
    But adding that many "younger people" also expect an online chat.
    So falling behind in a few key ways.

We are in agreement.

• verb
    Options
    I've found with a few exceptions, customer service is generally passive, and try to get away with the least amount of lost revenue, as possible.

I expect to have to challenge them. Talk to their manager, etc. Not to accept "I'm sorry, there is nothing I can do" initial response.

I wonder how many customers just walk away, and never come back?

Takes a bit of effort to negotiate, a bit of stress, but in the end I'm usually victorious.

Once exception, I've heard, and experienced 2nd hand, is SVS (bought a used sub off CL which died, the seller intervened and got me a new plate amp). And they have 5 year warranty to boot.

So the sub I have is only 2 years old. I kept the sellers phone number for the future, just in case! :smile:
  • VR3
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Way back in the day... I purchased a set of used RT35i (first pair of speakers ever!)... I had a tweeter fail, called up Polk customer service and spoke to some guy named @KennethSwauger and he sent me a tweeter AND a crossover out for FREE!!!

Now I call Polk customer service and I feel like I am dealing with comcast or something.
  • F1nut
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Comcast has improved so much around here that I'd give them an A-.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    Options
    Well... in that case, given the new "press 1 for a call back" I would relate it to the IRS.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    It's our current era of more pay, less service unfortunately.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2