ModWright OPPO UDP-205

2»

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Viking64 wrote: »
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

Also I figure I can apply my own blue goop, and hockey tape for better sound... :wink:

Don't forget to cover every square millimeter of the inside with a green Sharpie, just to be safe. :p

Hey now... that green marker stuff actually works. It has to be the right shade of Forest Green however, I find that Emerald green has too much sparkle and Midnight greens are a tad too dark.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646

Hey now... that green marker stuff actually works. It has to be the right shade of Forest Green however, I find that Emerald green has too much sparkle and Midnight greens are a tad too dark.

HAHAHAHAHA Well now, that's a horse of a different color! :p

9gb8hde2bhmb.jpg
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Soo.....I take it you like it then ? Lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Toolfan66 wrote: »

I honestly would/could have been happy with the player as is, but there is no turning back now, it literally has changed my whole system, it’s like I upgraded more than just the player

Addiction
    As it should be . . .
    I dig it brother
    I’m right there with you
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
  • Toolfan66
    Toolfan66 Posts: 16,834
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Tubes suck!!

Money out of your wallet..

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,478
    edited November 2018
    Oh trust me i know lol. I have a huge stash of VT-231, 6sn7gt, a, w, b, 6bl7, 6bx7 5692. A small fortune.
    Give me a brand I prolly have it :p:p:p

DO IT !!!
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Toolfan66,
    Have you also tried using the 205 in preamp mode directly to your amps?
  • ptrooper
    Finally got to listen to a Mod right 205 with a Joe Rasmussen upgraded 205,he's currently off to sydney to get upgraded right now : )

I use the built in pre on the 205.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    So, how does it sound?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • ptrooper
    Both 205's sounded absolutely amazing in detail and depth and worth every cent if you ask me .Cost wasn't an option here in the end .I was pulled towards what i felt was a lower noise floor and a very low bottom end with a signature that seemed much more analogue than digital .
    You'd have to check out his web sight to see what he actually does with his mods as its all well and truely over my head. I know the power supply takes 30 minutes upon first turning on to charge, he pulls the chip to ground and bypasses all capacitors used in his output stage!.
    Not forgetting that changing the valves to the Modright can give a difference in sound which i really really liked the idea but i also like to leave all my equipment on and with with valves that's apparently not a good idea .
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Thanks. :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    ptrooper wrote: »
    Finally got to listen to a Mod right 205 with a Joe Rasmussen upgraded 205,he's currently off to sydney to get upgraded right now : )

I use the built in pre on the 205.

@ptrooper Is the Joe Ramussen upgrade the one with the fancy upgraded clocks?
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    So you got both mods done to yours?
  • ptrooper
    I have a 105D with the 4.2+ACB mod which sounds absolutely amazing but due to my new sony VW760es 4K projector i had to use a stock 205 as Joe hadn't worked out at this stage to bypass a few things in the new 205's.
    I was also surprised he hadn't notified me about being able to upgrade the 205's,he said it was due to their unavailability and wasn't aware i already had one.
    Australia......there were no runs for any 205's at all and oppo reps informed me the demand wasn't here, the zoning was also taken against their considerations so oppo 205 # 2 became unobtainium for me as i wouldn't pay the extra money's for one ,people are selling them at extremely high prices.
    When i rang Joe , he was really surprised i actually had a unit as they are fetching around 3800-4500 aussie dollars, sadly this would affect his business modding oppos.
    NOTE... He can make a 203 sound much better than a stock 205 for around the same old retail price!!!!
    I have sent both the 105D and 205 to be upgraded to his signiturel modifications which he calls the 4.2+ACB signature for the 105D and 4.2+ACB signature 2 for the 205 ,He actually asked for my the 105 back and says he can make the 105D sound identical to the bombed 205 which will go back to DAC duty in my smaller listening room.

Waiting time now..4 weeks and counting.

i want it now mommy :)