Budget 2CH Rig for Newbies - A Challenge

Comments

• heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    edited March 2019
    "Some tube guys could care less about solid state?" I am a tube guy and care very much for well designed and excellent sounding SS. The good SS stuff is expensive, for good reason that has nothing to do with ground breaking tech.

I am also not talking about HT or THX or Dolby, etc. There are newer and arguably better HT stuff once in a while. In the context of this thread and what was stated about new technology blowing away Adcom and NAD of the past is what I'm speaking too. Assumption being 'amp" technology...........of which there is none. It's the same recycled topologies with new buzz words and phrases to make them pop and seem like it's something new. Also measurements given by a manufacturer are virtually meaningless and give zero indication how something will sound.

I realize that tweaking takes place, but that's hardly what I would consider "new amp technology"

Anyway, dead horse and off topic so I've said my .02c.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2019
    In the defence of the comment about "new technology" I'm sure the poster meant new , not revolutionary. Also, come on let's stop pretending... we all know that there were guys that didn't like Adcom or NAD back in the day as well as today so nothing has changed. Tech has nothing to do with why picky audiophiles like a particular brand etc.

As far as noise, it can be measured and heard.

I seriously doubt a budget audio lover would be anywhere near as picky.

Also, because of the lack of change in audio technologies, some claim voodoo and a point of diminishing returns as you go up the chain. So either these engineering tweaks and measurements (something as simple as Teflon caps) are a sonic improvement or are they marketing BS?

Not my words!

Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,894
    edited March 2019
    I probably didn't word the original post very well. I'm not an engineer and I'd probably had 4 or 5 beers plus something extra. So anyway, I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, but WLDock probably hit way closer to what I was attempting to convey and I thank him for that. I do consider my PS Audio S300 new technology. I realize Class D has been around a while but it just seems like it's now being perfected.
    Post edited by dragon1952 on
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Inakustik Reference USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • JPete
    JPete Posts: 295
    My garage setup now, sounds pretty decent for the coin.

NAD2200PE - $150
    Kenwood Basic C1 pre - $80
    Polk Monitor 10bs - $100
    Klipsch SW8 sub - $50
    Bluetooth receiver - $50
    16awg cable - $10?

Upgraded RD0 tweeters, add another hundy, but still pretty inexpensive for decent sounds.
    Lexicon RT-10, Parasound P5, McCormack DNA 0.5, Polk SDA CRS+, SVS Sub
    Schiit Modi, Luminous Audio Axiom II, McCormack DNA-1, Digital Phase AP 2
    Marantz AV7701, Emotiva XPA-5, Paradigm 11se Mkii, DCM Time Windows, NHT 2C, SVS Sub

Spares - Kenwood C1 Pre, NAD 2200PE, Polk Monitor 10B, Polk Model 11, other odds and ends
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,968
    While are some great ideas, I agree that there are two very different threads going on here.

1. best used rig for under $1500
    2. best NEW rig for under $1500

Most newbs don't want used stuff. One of my best friends who loves music has upgraded his modest rig a couple times. Each time, I have some used speakers or subs that destroy what he ends up with for the same $$$ or less, but he always opts for inferior new stuff.

I think the real challenge is a NEW rig, because its much harder that way and that's what most newbs want anyway...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited March 2019
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-avNUoP9eCUA/p_946PRIMEPR/SVS-Prime-Wireless-Speaker-System.html

Boom new system that streams for under $1000. Pair it up with a sealed SVS sub and ya good to go.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,079
    Hard to get a really good audiophile rig buying only new stuff and keeping it at or under $1500.

Should be no shame in buying used, especially for the higher end stuff. Let the first owner take the depreciation hit and you swoop in and save 40-50% off retail. I haven't bought anything new since my Squeezebox Touch and even then they were on sale 40% off. The Welbourne Power supply that was built for it was on sale at 40% off as well.

I would never pay retail

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,022
    edited March 2019
    heiney9 wrote: »
    All marketing BS. Amps haven't changed that much, just some new window dressing. You're way off on the NP information as well.

All gear is built to a price point, increase the price point increases the performance. Has little to do with better technology. This is why it's important to compare like gear and not compare a $300 piece of gear to a $15,000 piece of gear.

Absolutely true (re: amplifiers), absolutely true.

One of the best hifi amplifiers I've ever heard with my ears was built by RCA in the 1940s and used to support the "touring" copies of the Disney movie Fantasia.

I know someone with a pair of these used with electrodynamic loudspeakers (from the same era, more or less) -- an astonishing hifi system.

wmhvs97hdceu.jpg
    (that's a pair of push-pull parallel EL34 Langevin amplifiers mounted under the RCA)

We're not talking budget systems, though. :#

• jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 3,000
    A significant part of the challenge is 'rack' space. I've had lots of folks express interest in setting up a 2-channel rig, but then when I ask, "Do you have a place to put it?", they get a 'deer-in-the-headlights' look. I think if cables are included in the challenge, then a rack or media center, and proper speaker stands should be included as well.

To that end, I would recommend this Line Phono turntable stand:
    pr0e2fp3n5vh.jpg
    Obviously meant to be used with a turntable, but with each shelf having 18.75"W X 14.5"D of usable space (top shelf is 16"D), it can accommodate most rack components, and even a nice stack. I have one of these, and they are very solid and sturdy - solid MDF ($219), and they have a layered Birch option as well ($299). It's something you can grow with if you get into vinyl. Start storing records in it, and then eventually move components to another rack.

And when it comes to space, or a small footprint, you can't do any better than the PS Audio Sprout. Has phono input (MM), DAC, Bluetooth, coax/USB/optical, and 50WPC > 4ohms (old version) or 100WPC > 40 ohms (new version).
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    This reminds me of my rig in college. Some cinder blocks, and a few 2x12's, actually quite stable! :smile: And cheap!
    150becomkd4t.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    Clipdat wrote: »

Interesting cats over there. Wholesale review of a product with no listening done. (Not exactly true: the headphone amp had enough POWER to cause his earlobes to tingle with the bass (also, could listen without *distortion*--but how did it *sound*?)

Any way, making measurements, to me, seems like a nice way to corroborate what the ears are telling a listener. One hears "black background" and you measure "low noise"? That makes sense. One hears channel imbalance and this is backed up by measurements? Good to see that it's the equipment and not my ears!

I'm not going to denigrate the fine denizens of ASR, but it seems that the "measurement of gear" is far more important than the "listening to music". That's fine, but it doesn't match what I'm interested in hearing (ha!) about that
    gear. To me, how does it sound? A review comprised of "This thing sounds like crap" is frankly more meaningful to me than all those graphs, whether they be deemed good measurements or bad ones.

If it measures great and I find it unlistenable, should I be happy with the gear anyway? If it measures like garbage and sounds sublime, do I box it up and return it to its manufacturer for a refund (minus a 30% stocking fee)?

I am fully confident that FFT can "hear" things that my ears cannot. Should I worry about an ugly graph if all my ears perceive is 'beautiful sound'? I'll choose not to. Likewise, I believe the human ears can make distinguish differences in audio performance that the many graphs, curves, waterfalls and spectra don't manage to differentiate. Does that mean a person is wrong, that they are not being "objective" enough? Well, not in my opinion.

Never occurred to me like this before, but there's different ways to appreciate audio much in the same way that guys can appreciate cars in different ways. One car forum, maybe they only care about "go-fast," and don't care about any other aspect of the car. A second forum, they're all about appearance, "stance." They spend countless hours washing, polishing, clay-barring, tinting, pinstriping, and cambering so that their rides look just right. Speed? Who cares? Parked is best so everyone can appreciate the beauty! Heck throw in a 3rd group of dudes for whom its about bass, SPL, whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it would likely be difficult to flit back and forth between this forum and ASR--seems like I cannot understand why they're never listening to music and they'd laugh at how I naively trust my fallible ears...

Enjoy the music, that's what I say.

Peace!
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • rooftop59
    heiney9 wrote: »
    Hard to get a really good audiophile rig buying only new stuff and keeping it at or under $1500.

Should be no shame in buying used, especially for the higher end stuff. Let the first owner take the depreciation hit and you swoop in and save 40-50% off retail. I haven't bought anything new since my Squeezebox Touch and even then they were on sale 40% off. The Welbourne Power supply that was built for it was on sale at 40% off as well.

I would never pay retail

H9

I get ya man. The only piece of NEW audio equipment I have purchased in years is my HSU sub, and that’s because they’re a great value and expensive to ship. I’m all about good used deals.

My point is this: find someone who wants to get into audio and convince them to buy all (or mostly) 20+ year old gear. They’ll look at you like you’ve lost it. You’re not going to convince to many folks to get into audio that way....
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
  • mhardy6647
    agfrost wrote: »
    Clipdat wrote: »

Interesting cats over there. Wholesale review of a product with no listening done. (Not exactly true: the headphone amp had enough POWER to cause his earlobes to tingle with the bass (also, could listen without *distortion*--but how did it *sound*?)

Any way, making measurements, to me, seems like a nice way to corroborate what the ears are telling a listener. One hears "black background" and you measure "low noise"? That makes sense. One hears channel imbalance and this is backed up by measurements? Good to see that it's the equipment and not my ears!

I'm not going to denigrate the fine denizens of ASR, but it seems that the "measurement of gear" is far more important than the "listening to music". That's fine, but it doesn't match what I'm interested in hearing (ha!) about that
    gear. To me, how does it sound? A review comprised of "This thing sounds like crap" is frankly more meaningful to me than all those graphs, whether they be deemed good measurements or bad ones.

If it measures great and I find it unlistenable, should I be happy with the gear anyway? If it measures like garbage and sounds sublime, do I box it up and return it to its manufacturer for a refund (minus a 30% stocking fee)?

I am fully confident that FFT can "hear" things that my ears cannot. Should I worry about an ugly graph if all my ears perceive is 'beautiful sound'? I'll choose not to. Likewise, I believe the human ears can make distinguish differences in audio performance that the many graphs, curves, waterfalls and spectra don't manage to differentiate. Does that mean a person is wrong, that they are not being "objective" enough? Well, not in my opinion.

Never occurred to me like this before, but there's different ways to appreciate audio much in the same way that guys can appreciate cars in different ways. One car forum, maybe they only care about "go-fast," and don't care about any other aspect of the car. A second forum, they're all about appearance, "stance." They spend countless hours washing, polishing, clay-barring, tinting, pinstriping, and cambering so that their rides look just right. Speed? Who cares? Parked is best so everyone can appreciate the beauty! Heck throw in a 3rd group of dudes for whom its about bass, SPL, whatever.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, it would likely be difficult to flit back and forth between this forum and ASR--seems like I cannot understand why they're never listening to music and they'd laugh at how I naively trust my fallible ears...

Enjoy the music, that's what I say.

Peace!

Amir should measure a single-ended 2A3 amplifier. That would be entertaining. His brain would explode.
  • agfrost
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Amir should measure a single-ended 2A3 amplifier. That would be entertaining. His brain would explode.

Difficult to choose between "like," "agree," or "LOL." All of the above.
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
  • agfrost
    Everyone, Behold! My longest post in 14 years at Club Polk.

It's wildly off-topic.
    Jay
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited March 2019
    https://www.crutchfield.com/S-avNUoP9eCUA/p_946PRIMEPR/SVS-Prime-Wireless-Speaker-System.html
    Boom new system that streams for under $1000. Pair it up with a sealed SVS sub and ya good to go.
    Yep! I posted those and a couple of the KEF active speakers on page two. I could easily see the liquid cash strapped gotta have it now types buying a new setup like this with a credit card over the net. No time to save and wait for used stuff to pop up locally.

verb wrote: »
    This reminds me of my rig in college. Some cinder blocks, and a few 2x12's, actually quite stable! :smile: And cheap!
    150becomkd4t.png
    No bricks for me, I had a JCPenney MCS rack system when I got my own apartment in college around '86-'87. Its was my first CD player and I picked up some Marantz speakers to go with it....they were sitting on milk crates. :smile:

Here's a nice list: http://hifitrends.com/2019/03/03/10-building-blocks-for-your-budget-affordable-2-channel-audiophile-system-2019/
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    verb wrote: »
    150becomkd4t.png

My only critique -- you missed the opportunity to upgrade to the audiophile concrete blocks. A rookie mistake. B)

n11m2jzn52mt.png

BITD (as they say) Ficus plants were typically used as room treatments, too.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Tony M wrote: »
    Let him plug his phone or stream from what-ever to an older receiver.

Unless you're promoting separate components only.

Or for higher quality get a Raspberry Pi with a Hifiberry dac hat and control it with a phone. Stream everything and connect a local drive if desired. One could save using the RPi without the dac hat.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    For $1500 new, I would personally buy:

1. Yamaha A-S301 Integrated amp
    2. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
    3. Elac Uni-fi UB5 speakers.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    ...btw, I have enough $$ left to get cables.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • codycatalist
    steveinaz wrote: »
    ...btw, I have enough $$ left to get cables.

But what about a sub? Those bookies ain't gon' scratch the bass itch.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • steveinaz
    ...not a fan. Tried 2.1 TWICE, both fails.
  • codycatalist

I've never successfully integrated a sub into my music rig either. At the end of the day the SDAs have enough bass to satisfy.

• rooftop59

In all fairness Steve, the crossover in SVS subs aren’t super accurate, those weren’t sealed subs, and they didn’t have high level inputs. I think you can integrate a sub well, but at the least you MUST have an accurate crossover imho...
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • rooftop59
    For $1500 new, I would personally buy:

1. Yamaha A-S301 Integrated amp
    2. Bluesound Node 2i streamer
    3. Elac Uni-fi UB5 speakers.

I like this setup except I’m not sure if the amp is powerful enough, but it would definitely be a nice entry point!
    Game Room 5.1.4:

Bedroom 2.1
  • I’m all for the used stuff I can now buy the type of equipment I couldn’t afford when I was younger. I hit garage sales, flea markets, rummage sale, eBay etc. looking for diamonds in the rough. In my bedroom 2 channel:

Pre B&K 31 (30 w/ upgrade) $50 EBay
    Amp Onkyo m504 $30 garage sale
    SACD Marantz DV8400 $150 EBay
    Polk RTA 8t $150 EBay
    TT Nikko NP-500 Free from my brother but prob $50 value.

I have an Energy surround system w/ sub going into one of my daughters rooms that I picked up for $30 at a rummage sale. The kicker was that it came with kimber speaker cable too. The cables went to my system and she’ll get monster cable. Lol

Sometimes paitience pays dividends!
  • StevePaige
    StevePaige Posts: 4
    edited April 2019
    Being a semi-mature noob (about 2 years) with limited funds, putting together a few systems on a budget, while not being beholden to either new or old/vintage, has been fun. That being said here are a couple of budget setups.

Garage
    Echo Dot $40 retail
    Audiosource Amp 1A $5 estate sale
    Polk 5 (w/peerless) $6 GW, $20 (1 passive) & 30 (1 tweet)
    $101

Office
    Technics SLD2 $70 yardsale
    ART DJ Pre II Phono Amp $34 Amazon
    Bose Wave Radio $400 (b'day from the wife)
    (I know...but it's lack of detail is why I got into this)
    $504

HT
    Pioneer SX-S30 $399 Amazon
    Polk TL1 pair $10 GW
    Polk PSW110 $25 Craigslist
    $434

Main System
    Technics SL-1360 $165 Craigslist
    Yamaha CR-820 $180 Friend
    Pioneer SX-1000TW $100 Craigslist
    Boston HD9 $85 Craigslist
    KLH Model 17 $125 local shop
    (swap receivers and speakers on occasion)
    $655

New items $873
    Old/Vintage $821
    Total $1694

The wires used for speakers in my setups are 14 guage stranded copper from a local car audio electronics shop.

I haven't moved into HD streaming and DACs as of yet, but not a bad start. I am enjoying this hobby, though trying to approach audiophile levels is not what I am about at the moment
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    That's awesome! Nice bunch of rigs you got there buddy! You're probably like me, always looking around to find the deal! Part of the journey, and fun! Welcome to CP! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.