Please allow me to introduce myself

I was referred here by another member. I have only a modest 2 channel system of recent Marantz manufacture and two sets of vintage Polk speakers: SDA 2 (circa 1985 a/k/a “early version”) and SDA 2A (circa 1989). I am using the SDA 2A’s which work well and sound great. Reading here, I have certainly learned some things about the SDA2A. The SDA 2’s, however, have been problematic and I’d like to get them working properly again. I have lots of questions; I hope you can help. I apologize in advance: I am sorry that I have nothing to contribute to the forum; but I am learning. Thanks, Lou
Marantz PM8004
Marantz SA8004
Marantz NA 6004
Polk SDA 2
Polk SDA 2A
Kef C95

Comments

• Legender
    Legender Posts: 478
    Welcome Luger. We all started somewhere and we're glad you're choosing to start here. Welcome to club Polk and there's a lot to read up here to take your time and soak it all in.
    Music: Oppo103 - Parasound JC2 - Parasound A21- SDA 3.1
    Theater: Denon 3808 - B&K 7500/Emotiva XPA-3- RTi12, CSi5, RTiA7x4, PSW505
    Sleeping: Marantz 70005 - Harman Kardon 2400 - SDA 2
    2 Channel: Cary 306 SACD - Canary Audio 906 - Pass Labs x250 - PS Audio Perfectwave DAC, Polk LSiM705, SVS SB13 Ultra
    Office: Dell Optiplex, Emotiva XDA-2, Adcom 5500, LSiM 703
    Spares: Yamaha CA-810; LSi 15; Kenwood Basic M2a, Yamaha M60/M80, Polk Monitor 7, SVS SB13 Ultra
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Welcome to the forum. You certainly came to the right place to learn about your SDA's. Fire away your questions and the guys here will have you up and running.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Welcome to the forum!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    You are contributing by asking questions, so fire away.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    Welcome and sure are a bunch of great folks here. They sure have helped me along the way. I'm sure your friend filled ya in.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    Well if you have nothing to contribute then get outta here! Just kidding, I have been here 3 years and can only contribute little jokes.

Ask away, we shall help!
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Welcome. You're family doesn't happen to be in the firearm business are they?
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    My name is Humpty...Pronounced with an Umpty....
    Welcome to the fray.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Welcome.
    Agreed. Ask questions.

And give feedback, as best you can, as to whether or not the answer helped. Or solved the issue.

And read. And search.
    There is an Imperial Arseload (tm) of valuable information/knowledge in this forum.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Welcome @Luger ! I joined over a year ago and I can tell you my journey has been great fun! My current rig, ahem, rigs, are nothing I could ever have imagined before I joined!

All with help and guidance from the members here on CP!

Enjoy the ride! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • honestaquarian
    honestaquarian Posts: 3,186
    verb wrote: »
    Welcome @Luger ! I joined over a year ago and I can tell you my journey has been great fun! My current rig, ahem, rigs, are nothing I could ever have imagined before I joined!

All with help and guidance from the members here on CP!

Enjoy the ride! :smile:

Meaning we all showed him how to regularly separate the wallet from the funds inside it ;):D
    Welcome sir!
  • stretchl
    stretchl Posts: 1,334
    Welcome @Luger I joined in 2011 with a pair of monitor 10b’s and an integrated I’d had since 1987. I started getting my learn on and the upgrades slowly but surely followed. Just today brought home what I think might be my end goal components. Love ‘em or hate ‘em, I’ve got a lot of these guys to thank for the musical journey.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'
    - Isaac Asimov

Hi-Fi
    Apple Lossless --> Squeezebox Touch --> Joule Electra LA-100 Mark iii --> Odyssey Khartargo Mono Plus --> LSiM-705's
    Cabling by Groneberg
    Visuals
    https://media.illinois.edu/journalism/ledford-charles-stretch
    bit.ly/stretchonphotojournalism
    http://Vimeo.com/channels/stretchphoto
  • BMF35
    BMF35 Posts: 86
    Are you a man of wealth and fame?
  • SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,494
    Happy Easter and welcome Lou. :)
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Welcome to the forum, I have been here for years and have contributed nothing.
  • helipilotdoug
    helipilotdoug Posts: 1,229
    Welcome! You'll find a wealth of information to help you with your speakers from many who have already done mods and tweaks here on the forum.
    Luger wrote: »
    Please allow me to introduce myself...

Must be a man of wealth and taste.... :p

Welcome to the forum.
    Austin Zilker Park 2006
    Sunfire Theater Grand IV
    Sunfire Cinema Grand Signature
    SRS 2.1TL
    SDA 2BTL's
    CSiA6
    FXiA4
    FXiA6
    SDA 2A's
    Monitor 10A's

http://www.douglasconnection.com
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Please allow me to offer you a very warm welcome to Club Polk.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Welcome to Club Polk.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    Welcome to the forum
    Randy/Maine
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Welcome Lou.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Just three Stones fans? I thought the exact same thing when I read the title.
    [
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481
    Well I'm sure we have some "stoners" does that count?
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited April 2019
    I've been around for a long, long year...

And have heard a lot of Polk SDAs and like them all. :p

Welcome!
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    The SDA 2A ended production in 1987, so either you have a different model or made a mistake on the date.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Luger
    Luger Posts: 8
    I will be opening the SDA-2A's shortly and I will check the dates on the drivers. I well could be mistaken. I'll check and post back. Thanks
    Marantz PM8004
    Marantz SA8004
    Marantz NA 6004
    Polk SDA 2
    Polk SDA 2A
    Kef C95
  • westmassguy
    westmassguy Posts: 6,850
    Welcome Louis Enjoy the ride!
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Welcome Luger! glad to see your a SDA owner too.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD