FS: Cary Audio SLP-05 Preamp

For your consideration, one of the well received preamps for Audiophiles. There is not much to say about what it does. It is a very well reviewed fully balanced preamp. I am a second owner. I have this in my system for about 6 months and love every bit of what it does. I do not see any functional or ornamental issues with the preamp. It will come with the stock tubes. I will also include Sophia Electrics 6SN7 tubes (8 of them). These have probably about 70 hrs on them. I have original packaging material and will ship in them.

Asking $3175 plus shipping to CONUS. PayPal as FF preferred or add 2.5%. I am attaching some picture, but if needed can take more. Just let me know.

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    OMG! Dude you are killing me! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So I need to qualify my adult beverage induced comments! Just got home, seen this offering, and man that is tempting! Especially after @GlennDog, whom I respect and admire, just acquired the same, IIRC! Tempting. Jack Daniels is telling me go for it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • jumpindick
    jumpindick Posts: 428
    edited March 2019

@verb Not really, on the contrary, this would let you live and enjoy audio life :D . I have it in my system with Rosso Fiorentino Certaldos, and believe me the preamp does justice to those speakers.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    jumpindick wrote: »
    Not really, on the contrary, this would let you live and enjoy audio life :D . I have it in my system with Rosso Fiorentino Certaldos, and believe me the preamp does justice to those speakers.

after burn in what do you think of the highs from the certaldos?
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • verb

@verb Not really, on the contrary, this would let you live and enjoy audio life :D . I have it in my system with Rosso Fiorentino Certaldos, and believe me the preamp does justice to those speakers.

Yes sir! Thinking about it. Just read the Stereophile review. Lot's of love there! :smile:
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Sucks to be broke right now. Damn, someone scoop this up pronto.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jumpindick
    edited March 2019
    @marvda1 The more I hear to them, the more I fall in love with them. In the beginning I really hated them. Kudos to Skip for continuing to talk to me and make me believe in them with one simple ask--- give them some time and let those Mundorf caps burn in. I totally agree with him. With time, they sound really rich. The more I play, the better overall sound stage is becoming. Highs are getting more clearer, cleaner and crisp. Even the bass is improving. Of course, if you have some great quality "other" stuff in your system, it become a shear joy to listen to them..

I just wonder if these sound such great with time, how those Sienas would....

In my opinion, the Cary pre has been really nice match with Certalods, especially with the North Star DAC in the loop, the warmth has been a real pleasure to experience....that is the warmth of music-- just clarifying :)
  • verb
    The more I hear to them, the more I fall in love with them. In the beginning I really hated them. Kudos to Skip for continuing to talk to me and make me believe in them with one simple ask--- give them some time and let those Mundorf caps burn in. I totally agree with him. With time, they sound really rich. The more I play, the better overall sound stage is becoming. Highs are getting more clearer, cleaner and crisp. Even the bass is improving. Of course, if you have some great quality "other" stuff in your system, it become a shear joy to listen to them..

In my opinion, the Cary pre has been really nice match with Certalods, especially with the North Star DAC in the loop, the warmth has been a real pleasure to experience....that is the warmth of music-- just clarifying :)

What NS dac are you running? I have the Intenso.
  • verb
    DSkip wrote: »
    Buy his excelsio verb.

Hehe! Thanks Skip! :smile:
  • jumpindick

What NS dac are you running? I have the Intenso.[/quote]

I am using NS DAC Excelsio which is up for sale as well.
    verb wrote: »
    The more I hear to them, the more I fall in love with them. In the beginning I really hated them. Kudos to Skip for continuing to talk to me and make me believe in them with one simple ask--- give them some time and let those Mundorf caps burn in. I totally agree with him. With time, they sound really rich. The more I play, the better overall sound stage is becoming. Highs are getting more clearer, cleaner and crisp. Even the bass is improving. Of course, if you have some great quality "other" stuff in your system, it become a shear joy to listen to them..

What NS dac are you running? I have the Intenso.

I have NSD Excelsio, which is up for sale as well...
  • verb
    PM sent for the Cary! I'm out of control! :smile:
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    edited March 2019
    The slp-05 is a great pre. I will never part with mine. This is the slpo5 is the newer version too. Great value at this price.
  • WagnerRC
    No brainer. Enjoy Verb and cheers. You will love this purchase.
  • verb
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    No brainer. Enjoy Verb and cheers. You will love this purchase.

Thanks Brother! And Thanks Dhavel! I loved @GlennDog 's SLP-98! Looking forward to it! WooHoo! :smile:
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    David is losing his mind.
  • verb
    lightman1 wrote: »
    David is losing his mind.

Agree! :smile:
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    You will not be sorry with this purchase. Might just be your last pre.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • WagnerRC
    We all go on buying spree’s . Life is good . This is a good buy and buyers remorse will not be an issue.

• verb
    WagnerRC wrote: »
    We all go on buying spree’s . Life is good . This is a good buy and buyers remorse will not be an issue.

Yep. I knew I was going to get something after what our company went through recently. The Mrs and I survived the layoffs, now going forward, but now every time I gaze at the Cary I'll be reminded of what we went through, and smile! :smile:
  • WagnerRC
    Hell yes. I like your style.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    That is a gorgeous preamp Dave. Congrats on the acquisition and congrats to Dhavel on the sale. Love it when it works out for everyone involved!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • verb
    halo wrote: »
    That is a gorgeous preamp Dave. Congrats on the acquisition and congrats to Dhavel on the sale. Love it when it works out for everyone involved!

Thanks Vic! Hey by the way, I'm gonna be working on a new project, that will allow me to visit the Wentzville assembly plant! We gotta get together! :smile:
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616

Thanks Vic! Hey by the way, I'm gonna be working on a new project, that will allow me to visit the Wentzville assembly plant! We gotta get together! :smile:

Sounds good to me!! Shoot me a PM and we'll figure it out :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Nice price, great pre. Way to up yer audio game . . . Congratulations Dave!

I'm out of control! :smile:

Naw . . . You’ll be out of control when you buy my 98 for your second rig!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    halo wrote: »

Sounds good to me!! Shoot me a PM and we'll figure it out :)

Will do. Lot of history for me in St. Louis. SLU is my alma mater! :smile:
  • verb
    Hey Dhavel, just got home today! Had FedEx ship the boxes to a local office nearby. Just picked em up! :smile:
    vfd5fsto99st.jpg
  • verb
    So I got these babies home, put em right in the basement. Operation Cary was a success! We'll see if the Mrs notices em! :smile:
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    Well well

Good buy Verb

You will like it I am sure
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • jumpindick
    Hey Dhavel, just got home today! Had FedEx ship the boxes to a local office nearby. Just picked em up! :smile:
    vfd5fsto99st.jpg

I hope you enjoy the pre. I am going to miss it.... Let me know what you think about the pre.