Free Solo

Last week, "Free Solo" was nominated for an Academy Award for best documentary feature.

I don't know how Alex Honnold is still alive. I have been following his athletic endeavors for the last 10 years or so, and when you talk about pushing the envelop, he is at the top! No one comes close to living on the edge like he does!

This movie will astound you! I highly recommend it!

McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 20,637
    And here I thought you were giving away a Star Wars movie...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • chumliechumlie Posts: 8,528
    Great Movie. Astounding athlete.
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,528
    two words come to mind...

Crazy Gnarly
  • reverbreverb Posts: 68
    Heck No!!! My hat's off to the guy but I got dizzy watching the preview.
  • Viking64Viking64 Posts: 3,863
    And here I thought you were giving away a Star Wars movie...

I thought The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was released from prison.

5kj1k3sm38v1.jpg
  • chumliechumlie Posts: 8,528
    Now on Amazon Prime Video. Well worth the 10 bucks to purchase.
  • mark090852mark090852 Posts: 921
    chumlie wrote: »
    Now on Amazon Prime Video. Well worth the 10 bucks to purchase.

I agree. We watched it through Amazon a few days ago. Heart stopping in a few places!!!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • shackshack Posts: 11,284
    edited February 22
    "A Line Across the Sky" A great documentary about Tommy Caldwell and Alex Honnold climbing all seven summits of the legendary Fitz Roy Mountain range in Patagonia...known as the Fitz Traverse. It had never been completed...though many had tried.

agtvfzx71q7s.jpg

https://coolofthewild.com/a-line-across-the-sky/
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,602
    Just watched this. Free on demand through National Geographic. Wow. The dampened amygdala did not surprise me at all, nor did his comments about not feeling death. But his climbing, unbelievable! Definitely worth watching...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • mrbironmrbiron Posts: 5,069
    I watched it on Saturday morning...then again Saturday night because my wife missed a part.

Good documentary. Kind of feel sad for his girlfriend who wants the family, the white picket fence, the love, but Alex seems more like a robot in demeanor.

He's a thrill seeker toeing the line...

Definitely worth a watch.
    Zu Audio Omen MK-1B's, Peachtree Decco65, Bryston BDA-2, Cheap TT, PS Audio UPC200, PS Audio AC3's, Zu Mission SC's, HTPC, One, Bottlehead Crack w/Speedball, Senn's MD HD600
  • daddyjtdaddyjt Posts: 873
    edited March 12
    I heard about Alex on Joe Rogen’s Podcast, and have been following him ever since. A very down to earth guy, and a pretty cool human being.

Here’s the podcast for anyone interested:

Incidentally, he refers to Adam Ondra as the “Stongest” climber in the world - the action in the video starts at about the 3 minute mark, with his successful climb starting at about 11 minutes in.

Post edited by daddyjt on
    Too much stuff to keep track of.

Currently enjoying: Legacy Focus 20/20, McCormack DNA 225, Bill D C1, Oppo 105
  • ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,438
    Okay, let's make this happen. Pick a number between 1 and 2. Winner pays shipping...

253q1r30bbcr.jpg
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 13,528
    Dude is an animal that whole climb was incredible. That being said he more than likely will be in the news once more.