Free Solo

Last week, "Free Solo" was nominated for an Academy Award for best documentary feature.

I don't know how Alex Honnold is still alive. I have been following his athletic endeavors for the last 10 years or so, and when you talk about pushing the envelop, he is at the top! No one comes close to living on the edge like he does!

This movie will astound you! I highly recommend it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF-7H5Dk26E
McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    And here I thought you were giving away a Star Wars movie...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Great Movie. Astounding athlete.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    two words come to mind...

Crazy Gnarly
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Heck No!!! My hat's off to the guy but I got dizzy watching the preview.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    And here I thought you were giving away a Star Wars movie...

I thought The Man From U.N.C.L.E. was released from prison.

5kj1k3sm38v1.jpg
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Now on Amazon Prime Video. Well worth the 10 bucks to purchase.
  • chumlie wrote: »
    Now on Amazon Prime Video. Well worth the 10 bucks to purchase.

I agree. We watched it through Amazon a few days ago. Heart stopping in a few places!!!
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited February 2019
    "A Line Across the Sky" A great documentary about Tommy Caldwell and Alex Honnold climbing all seven summits of the legendary Fitz Roy Mountain range in Patagonia...known as the Fitz Traverse. It had never been completed...though many had tried.

agtvfzx71q7s.jpg

https://coolofthewild.com/a-line-across-the-sky/
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Just watched this. Free on demand through National Geographic. Wow. The dampened amygdala did not surprise me at all, nor did his comments about not feeling death. But his climbing, unbelievable! Definitely worth watching...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    I watched it on Saturday morning...then again Saturday night because my wife missed a part.

Good documentary. Kind of feel sad for his girlfriend who wants the family, the white picket fence, the love, but Alex seems more like a robot in demeanor.

He's a thrill seeker toeing the line...

Definitely worth a watch.
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    edited March 2019
    I heard about Alex on Joe Rogen’s Podcast, and have been following him ever since. A very down to earth guy, and a pretty cool human being.

Here’s the podcast for anyone interested:

https://youtu.be/2OhHkBmbb5Y

Incidentally, he refers to Adam Ondra as the “Stongest” climber in the world - the action in the video starts at about the 3 minute mark, with his successful climb starting at about 11 minutes in.

https://youtu.be/ZRTNHDd0gL8
    Post edited by daddyjt on
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    Okay, let's make this happen. Pick a number between 1 and 2. Winner pays shipping...

253q1r30bbcr.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    Dude is an animal that whole climb was incredible. That being said he more than likely will be in the news once more.