Question: Placement of Di/Bipole when using both?

Geoff4rfc
Geoff4rfc Posts: 2,116
edited March 2019 in Speakers
After doing a search here, I see one recommendation to use Dipole on the sides and Bipole on the rears, or...should it be the other way around?

I have two sets of FXiA6's, I'll be setting them up in a side and rear configuration.

Does anyone else have any experience with this type of set up?

Many thanks.
Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

Cables: AudioQuest McKenzie XLR's/CDP/Amp, Carbon 48/BRP, Forest 48/Display

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman

Comments

• Geoff4rfc
    As I do more research, I believe I'm finding out that a direct radiating speaker would be better for the rear channel than the bi or di pole speaker...….still looking for experienced users in this area for input.
    Source: BRP Panasonic UB9000, CDP Emotiva ERC3 - Display: LG OLED EVO 83 C3 - Pre/Pro: Marantz 8802A - Amplification: Emotiva XPA-DR3, XPA-2 x 2, XPA-6, Speakers, Mains/2ch-Focal Kanta No2's, C-LSiM706, S-702F/X, RS-RTiA9's, WS-RTiA9's, FH-RTiA3's, Subs - Epik Empire x 2

EXPERIENCE: next to nothing, but I sure enjoy audio and video MY OPINION OF THIS HOBBY: I may not be a smart man, but I know what quicksand is.
    When I was young, I was Superman but now that old age has gotten the best of me I'm only Batman
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    In todays systems even starting at a Dolby Digital 5.1 setup, monopole speakers are the correct choice for all channels. There isn't any real place anymore for a Dipolar or Bi polar design surround speaker.
    BUT they are still useful in a surround location to help fill the room with sound. Companies like Polk and Def Tech still believe in this technology but honestly it's outdated. Bipolar or dipolar speakers for surrounds where originally designed to improve Dolby Pro logic in a home theater. Sound tracks where never recorded for this technology as they are a solution design.
    There is no reason to ever use a Bipolar or dipolar design speaker for surround back duty.
    Since you already own 2 pairs of them and if your not willing to buy 2 pairs of in walls or monopole side and surround speakers then I suggest you set both pairs in bipolar and place them correctly in your room. Yes they will sound good but there will be some smearing in placement due to the design of the speakers. If you plan on Atmos then you need to get rid of them.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    As far as Dolby is concerned, Mantis is correct. Then again, very few have an ideal room, and have to deviate from Dolby specs.

That said, I’m running FXI A6 for surround(sides) and RTI A3’s as rears. I have the FXI A6 set to bi-pole. I purchased the A3’s and originally had them as surrounds, and when I purchased the FX speakers tried them in rear and surround duty using both modes.

I liked the FX speakers as surrounds, but didn’t care for them at all as rears. My room doesn’t allow for in ceiling speakers, well I guess I could figure something out but it would be truly a pain, so I use front heights. So once again, I’m deviating from Dolby specs. I think it sounds pretty good.

My personal observations, with most movie sound mixes, is that the surround channel is mostly ambient sound. Weather it be echoes, environmental, or unimportant conversations, it’s just to audibly give a sense of position or size of the scene. The FX speakers also help because, again deviating from Dolby, they are positioned about a foot behind the primary listening position.

I prefer direct firing speakers as rears, because in my experience the sound mixing tries to place those sound closer to directly behind the listener. I tried the FX speakers in both modes, and got more of a confused sense of where the sound was coming from, maybe behind, could be towards left//right side, basically I couldn’t decide. I actually experimented with the RTI A 1’s, which are now at front height duty to be more precise.

Truth of the matter is that because of my room, the front three might be at Dolby recommendations, but are more than likely out of spec. Then again, I don’t have a dedicated room for movies, and probably would have set a spare room up for music anyway.

Personally, and this applies to all things audio, I prefer the bi/di-pole speakers as surround speakers more so than direct firing speakers. As always this only applies to my ears, in my room with my gear. Others will have different opinions, and I’ll not judge their opinions, because we all hear differently.

Only problem that I can see is that you would have to try the bi/di-pole speakers, with direct firing speakers in both positions as well as direct firing speakers in both positions to actually know for sure. Again I was able to try all combinations, and preferred the set up I have now. Of course I may be the only person on the planet that feels this way, so you could end up thinking I’m crazy.
  • Jimbo18
    Jimbo18 Posts: 2,310
    I am sure Mantis is correct, but I had RT25i's in the rear and replaced them with FXi50's and I enjoy movies a whole lot more than I did before. RT25's are great speakers, but I like the effects I get with the FXi50's.
  • Geoff4rfc
    Thank you all for the answers!

@ Mantis, an outdated arrangement is what I've been seeing. Setting both side and rear to Bipole was my plan indeed.

I have no plans for Atmos however like rpf65, I've already started looking at the RTiA3 for rear and keeping the bipoles on the side.

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Geoff4rfc wrote: »
    Thank you all for the answers!

@ Mantis, an outdated arrangement is what I've been seeing. Setting both side and rear to Bipole was my plan indeed.

I have no plans for Atmos however like rpf65, I've already started looking at the RTiA3 for rear and keeping the bipoles on the side.
    i think that's a good idea. You could sell both pairs and get 2 pairs of RTIA3's and really do it right. Nothing wrong with Bipolar speakers they are just simply in correct for todays formats. BUT that doesn't mean you can't enjoy them as Jimbo18 does.

Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    I have a different experience. I removed a pair of FX500i surrounds, and replaced them with Polk in-walls in a DD 5.1 simple setup (which I still have), and was a bit sorry I did. Don't get me wrong, the in-walls sound great, and certainly made the living room a lot easier to look at, but did not have the "spatial" sound that the FXi did.
    Just my .02
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • Geoff4rfc
    edited March 2019
    I believe I'm with the majority here. I've run M30's, M40's and even M70's at side surround, but once I put the FXiA6's there, in bipole, the experience was by far the best it had been....for my taste anyway.

My plan (for now), is to keep the A6 at the side, put the RTiA3 in the rear, and one day when space permits, put the other set of FX's up at heights. At that time I may opt for another set of A3's...…...but we'll cross that bridge when we get there!!