LSiM703 versus S55

Milito
Milito Posts: 1,908
I see the 703 are on sale so I need opinions please.

I have a pair of S55's and a S30 and I would like to know how much better the 703's would sound compared to the S55's. Use is about 60-70% TV and movies and 30-40% music.

I have no experience with the 703's so I need some opinions from the experts.

I am using a Yamaha 2070 and an Outlaw 5000. I do have a HSU sub.

Thanks

Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.

Comments

• pyrocyborg
    pyrocyborg Posts: 524
    edited March 2019
    Never heard the Signature series, but my guess is that they're closer to the RTi and RTiA line in sound than anything else while being smoother, which honestly isn't bad at all for both music and HT duty.

Also, better is relative. Is the LSiM line better than the Signature line? Most definitely, but we really cannot quantify enjoyment, and that's something that you'll have to hear for yourself. I'm one of those who believe that one would be better served with better bookshelf speakers, proper stands and a subwoofer than equally priced floorstanding speakers.

With that being said, the 703s are large bookshelf speakers, but they won't go as low as your S55 can. I can't see the -3db figure for the S55, but for the sake of specs comparison, the LSiM 703 can go as "deep" as 36 Hz, while the S55 goes down to 32 Hz. Still, you'll probably end up setting the crossover at 60 Hz on both speakers so that they don't suffer too much, so it might not be that different when it comes to low end.

If anything, the 703s with your subwoofer would probably be more musical than your S55 with the same sub, with a more "faithful" reproduction both due to it's more neutral and revealing nature, but it might be a tad less vibrant which might be what you like in your HT setup. I mean, I love my HT, but it's on the mellow and polite side of things. I remember that my RTiA speakers used to deliver more "impact" in the upper frequencies than my LSiM currently do, but I kinda like it that way now, even for movies nights.

It also depends on the rest of your setup : Do you have a center channel? If so, using the 703s might sound different when the voice is panning from side to center.

Still, the 703s really deserve the praise. At current sales prices (or lower, if you're, like me, "lucky" enough to receive a slightly "damaged" speaker), they're a really good pick. At full price, not so much (especially since they're always on sale).

Plus, I find that bookies are easier to set up properly than tower speakers, but that probably only matters if your room is subpar like mine.. ;)

In the end, even if I lack the proper experience with the Signature line, my post should at least serve as a /bump.
    Post edited by pyrocyborg on
    Speakers: Polk Audio LSiM 705, LSiM 703, LSiM 704c
    Receiver: Denon X3500H
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    I run an LSiM front stage. A couple of summers ago, I had S20s in the main system for several weeks for testing, and found that they edged out 703s for HT.

For music, however, 703s offered noticeable refinements. Additional musical detail, such as being better with decay, for example. If you're not listening closely for the difference, or not going from 703 to Signature series, both are pleasing. Actually, with that last bit there, I was just reminded of something else I remember sharing at the time - I wasn't particularly missing the 703s when I switched in the S20s, which I thought was testament to the S20s, obviously, and completely unexpected. If I had to choose one, I'd take the hit on HT for the bump in music performance and go LSiM, but if I were starting over again in this hobby and started with Signature instead of RTi, I think I'd have been done before I got sucked in.

The S20s were not a glaring mismatch for use with a 706 center when back in 3.1 mode. I'd suspect it'd be close enough going the other way, too, though I remember @hermitism saying he found he missed his RTis for theater when he first got his 703s.

Depending on your room size you may be able to use 703s without the sub for music.

As pcb says, whether worth the benefits or whether they'll fit will fall to your experience with them.

I will say that I can remember noticing 703s sounding particularly good about 6-9 months into ownership, and that was even with daily use the whole time, so they'll take some real time to break in and will get better with time.
    I disabled signatures.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I had the 705's and the S60's. In my listening environment, on my gear, and, to my ears, I preferred the S60's by a slim margin. A margin is a margin and I sold the LSiM 705's in favor of keeping the S60's (for a while). YMMV.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Milito
    Thanks everyone for the opinions, I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

My wife would like smaller speakers as I got the S55's when she was out of town and she was too happy with them being taller than the speakers I had before. I mentioned these to her, but she wants to see what the stands would like with the speakers.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Milito wrote: »
    Thanks everyone for the opinions, I appreciate you all taking the time to respond.

My wife would like smaller speakers as I got the S55's when she was out of town and she was too happy with them being taller than the speakers I had before. I mentioned these to her, but she wants to see what the stands would like with the speakers.

Same floorspace overall, most likely, and the stands will be an additional co$t
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    edited March 2019
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    halo wrote: »

Same floorspace overall, most likely, and the stands will be an additional co$t

When I switched from my LSis to my KEFs, I ended up losing more floor space due to the size of the base of the stand. But it looks like there is more space, because despite the fact that the KEFs on the stands are almost as tall and deep as the LSis were, the fact that there is just a pillar instead of the large cabinet makes the space seem to be bigger. FWIW, IMO, IME, etc. :)
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 614
    I have the 60s and 30 as my front sound stage and they serve me well for ht and 2-channel, wonderful speakers. I also have the 703s in another system and think they are a bit more musical. I occasionally rotate the 703s into my ht-hybrid 2 channel rig and the 60s into the dedicated 2 channel and really like them both. I would have a hard time getting rid of either pair which I doubt that helps you. However, if you go with 703s you will need some good stands and the footprint will be close to that of the towers. Also, if there are kids or pets in the house that could be a case for towers.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office
    Cambridge Audio 851A, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • rburgess714

To give you/her a idea of what the 703s look like on stands.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Yamaha BD-S681, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, Polk S60, Polk S30, Samsung 60" LED

Office

• rburgess714
    edited March 2019
    fqktqnyk2865.jpeg
    do3kbjr706py.jpeg
    rjrv60jn5tbw.jpeg
    Living Room

Office

• Milito
    edited March 2019
    Oh well looks like I'm out. Thanks everyone and thanks for posting the pictures.

I showed my wife a bunch of stands and she hates the look of the speakers with stands. It's in our main living area so she has a say in what goes in there as I'm sure those that are married understand. She said if it was any other room they would be okay.

She said when I bought the S55's she wished they were shorter so I had mentioned these to her since they were smaller and were on sale at such a good price.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Oh, man. Well, I have to say, I didn't like the look of stands at first. I thought it was weird, but they really grew on me pretty quickly, and now I thoroughly enjoy the look. Gotta bind the cables, but that's not hard.

Those Pangeas like Ray posted look great with 703s as shown.
    I disabled signatures.
  • rburgess714
    Yes but this man has learned a Happy wife is a Happy life. Some of us are slow learners😆
    Living Room

Office

• rburgess714
    Okay speaking for myself.
    Living Room

Office

• Milito
    We are all slow learners.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited March 2019
    fqktqnyk2865.jpeg
    do3kbjr706py.jpeg
    rjrv60jn5tbw.jpeg
    That's a cool looking cabinet. I suggest you change your layout due to the center channel being to low to the ground. Your gonna have a reflection issue even though you have a throw rug just about where the reflection is going to happen. If you Swap your AVR and Center position your gonna notice a pretty big difference in center clarity. Even better would be to place it on top of the cabinet and put the amp where the center is now. That would make and even bigger difference.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • rburgess714
    mantis wrote: »
    fqktqnyk2865.jpeg
    do3kbjr706py.jpeg
    rjrv60jn5tbw.jpeg
    That's a cool looking cabinet. I suggest you change your layout due to the center channel being to low to the ground. Your gonna have a reflection issue even though you have a throw rug just about where the reflection is going to happen. If you Swap your AVR and Center position your gonna notice a pretty big difference in center clarity. Even better would be to place it on top of the cabinet and put the amp where the center is now. That would make and even bigger difference.

Thank you sir. Slightly modified by removing the back panel for ventilation except for the area behind doors.

I agree and have had it where the AVR is and should switch it back. It would sound best on top but it’s a little too tall and I think I would need longer ICs.

Thanks for the suggestion.
    Living Room

Office