Anybody using an anti static brush with drain wire?

Options
They ain't cheap but in theory they may work? There are times in the dry winter I could use some help in the static noise department....anybody have any experience with these?
Yep, my name really is Bob.
Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    edited February 2019
    Options
    Nope.
    I concur "in theory".
    An antistatic 'gun' is (still) probably the best way to go if you have severe static probvlems.

We used 'em (Zerostats) in the lab in the wintertime to neutralize static when weighing fluffy and valuable materials (typically stuff that had been lyophilized = freeze dried) -- otherwise, it was impossible to weigh some things.
  • Mikey081057
    Mikey081057 Posts: 7,127
    Options
    I still have my discwasher kit that has the zerostat gun. Don't use the gun here in FL cuz we got enough humidity year round to prevent static.

apwx2pu6x6zd.png
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Options
    If you're having a constant problem you can invest in an ionizing air blower to flood the turntable area with filtered air. Blowers are available on many sites for around a C-note and then do a little modification work by adding filter material on the inlet side to prevent contamination issues from particles in your room air. We use these for electronic workstations to protect highly sensitive components from ESD and they produce some impressive results. I'm talking dropping measurable voltage levels from quad digits down to low double digit readings. The guns work well on objects but the blowers address the area issues.

Simco units are durable but come at a price, Yuchengtech makes some cost-effective models that work fine if you keep them clean. Adding the filter material to the inlet side would deal with this issue.
    5w3clmbl2p9z.jpg
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    hxea60wu0ad4.png

If you mean this, I use this.
    It works great for static and dust but not as harsh on the record surface as the carbon antistatic brushes. But the trade off is not as stiff and might miss bigger more stubborn particles
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    The new/current production Milty anti static/Zerostat guns are completely worthless. I had 2 in the last 2 years and they both stopped working. With regular, gentle, use these guns have a failure rate of 100% Whatever they used to make them back in the day is not what they use to make them now. I would avoid the Milty Zerostat guns at all costs.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,027
    Options
    halo wrote: »
    The new/current production Milty anti static/Zerostat guns are completely worthless. I had 2 in the last 2 years and they both stopped working. With regular, gentle, use these guns have a failure rate of 100% Whatever they used to make them back in the day is not what they use to make them now. I would avoid the Milty Zerostat guns at all costs.

That's too bad :(
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    Options
    ...and I was just about to pull the trigger on the Milty :( see what I did there? B)

That big brush looks interesting and appears to be the cheapest option although thinking about the ionizer too. Since I have a habit of brushing the record before playing I may lean toward the brush...decision...decisions.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, Polk L600, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,969
    Options
    Would the ionizer have to run continually or can you shut it off while playing the record?