another vinyl spinnah joins the fray (?!)

mhardy6647
mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
edited February 2019 in 2 Channel Audio
Cambridge Audio.
Direct Drive.
British made arm.
(who knows 'bout the provenance of the rest)
Popularly priced (well, given that it's direct drive).

:p

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/alva/alva-tt

ijtf4mk6kc7i.png

ar2fgqa95022.png

it6u2rq0aguw.png
Post edited by mhardy6647 on

Comments

• OleBoot
    OleBoot Posts: 2,065
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Cambridge Audio.
    Direct Drive.
    British made arm.
    (who knows 'bout the provenance of the rest)
    Popularly priced (well, given that it's direct drive).

:p

That arm looks suspiciously like the Rega RB200 arm I have on my 35 year old Manticore Mantra turntable.
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    Very clean appearance, could almost just slap a NAD logo on it and be good to go.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    Rega arm isn't a bad choice, but at the price I wish they were more specific about which model it is. High output moving coil with an elliptical stylus sounds like it has potential to be a modified Rega Ania as well, which could be a decent choice. They made a lot of choices I wouldn't have gone with, but for an easy plug and play table it seems like a simple low maintenance option. Surprised how many of these types of tables are popping up. I guess they must be doing well.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    I did not go with this tt. However, I did get close to their wow & flutter spec with their direct drive on my belt drive tt (0.06% v 0.07% respectively) ;) I also didn't spend anywhere near that amount of $$$$ :p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,558
    A turntable with Bluetooth, just what I've always wanted!
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    urca82bod9bf.jpeg
    I like how they have the words written upside down above the terminals, for when you're trying to hook it up once it is in place. :)
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    CA has always been a great value.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    With a second look at that back panel, I don't see an option to bypass the internal phonostage. Again, another choice I would not have made (and something I view as a weakness) but another choice showing they wanted a true plug and play option.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I like how they have the words written upside down above the terminals, for when you're trying to hook it up once it is in place. :)

I noticed on my Cambridge Audio CXN and thought "well that's effing just brilliant!".

This should be mandatory for anything that has a plug on the back!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Did all y'all see there's another mass-ish market DD turntable a-comin'?

pijak9ky1p66.png

0y7rz8898ptg.png

https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/teac-tn-4d-turntable-coming-quarter

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    edited February 2019
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Did all y'all see there's another mass-ish market DD turntable a-comin'?

pijak9ky1p66.png

0y7rz8898ptg.png

https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/teac-tn-4d-turntable-coming-quarter

That's good if its got Quartz lock. Their belt drive tables suffer from inconsistent speeds during the playback of rekkids Doc
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    I saw the Euro model of that Teac while I was in Norway. Actually looked pretty sweet, surprisingly heavy. I almost bought one there and then realized that would be stupid. Got home and went to the website (US website since I was not there anymore) and it wasn't there. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Lol
    The euro model looked great, but I have no idea sound wise.