another vinyl spinnah joins the fray (?!)

mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,969
edited February 12 in 2 Channel Audio
Cambridge Audio.
Direct Drive.
British made arm.
(who knows 'bout the provenance of the rest)
Popularly priced (well, given that it's direct drive).

:p

https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/usa/en/products/alva/alva-tt

ijtf4mk6kc7i.png

ar2fgqa95022.png

it6u2rq0aguw.png
Post edited by mhardy6647 on

Comments

• OleBootOleBoot Posts: 422
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Cambridge Audio.
    Direct Drive.
    British made arm.
    (who knows 'bout the provenance of the rest)
    Popularly priced (well, given that it's direct drive).

:p

That arm looks suspiciously like the Rega RB200 arm I have on my 35 year old Manticore Mantra turntable.
    I started out with nothing and have most of it left.
  • aprazer402aprazer402 Posts: 1,296
    Very clean appearance, could almost just slap a NAD logo on it and be good to go.
  • Rega arm isn't a bad choice, but at the price I wish they were more specific about which model it is. High output moving coil with an elliptical stylus sounds like it has potential to be a modified Rega Ania as well, which could be a decent choice. They made a lot of choices I wouldn't have gone with, but for an easy plug and play table it seems like a simple low maintenance option. Surprised how many of these types of tables are popping up. I guess they must be doing well.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    Harman Kardon HK 3770 > JBL Studio 580 + SVS SB12-NSD or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • halohalo Posts: 4,869
    I did not go with this tt. However, I did get close to their wow & flutter spec with their direct drive on my belt drive tt (0.06% v 0.07% respectively) ;) I also didn't spend anywhere near that amount of $$$$ :p
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,871
    A turntable with Bluetooth, just what I've always wanted!
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,491
    urca82bod9bf.jpeg
    I like how they have the words written upside down above the terminals, for when you're trying to hook it up once it is in place. :)
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 18,799
    CA has always been a great value.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i | Preamp/DAC: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell | Power Amp: Parasound Halo A21 | Speakers: PSB Imagine T2 | Cables: Kimber Hero XLR; Kimber 8VS Bi-Wire; DH Labs D-75 Dig Coax | AC Power: Panamax M5300-PM
  • With a second look at that back panel, I don't see an option to bypass the internal phonostage. Again, another choice I would not have made (and something I view as a weakness) but another choice showing they wanted a true plug and play option.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Sony CDP-CE375 / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    Harman Kardon HK 3770 > JBL Studio 580 + SVS SB12-NSD or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • reverbreverb Posts: 68
    mlistens03 wrote: »
    I like how they have the words written upside down above the terminals, for when you're trying to hook it up once it is in place. :)

I noticed on my Cambridge Audio CXN and thought "well that's effing just brilliant!".

This should be mandatory for anything that has a plug on the back!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,969
    Did all y'all see there's another mass-ish market DD turntable a-comin'?

pijak9ky1p66.png

0y7rz8898ptg.png

https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/teac-tn-4d-turntable-coming-quarter

• halohalo Posts: 4,869
    edited February 24
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Did all y'all see there's another mass-ish market DD turntable a-comin'?

pijak9ky1p66.png

0y7rz8898ptg.png

https://www.cdrinfo.com/d7/content/teac-tn-4d-turntable-coming-quarter

That's good if its got Quartz lock. Their belt drive tables suffer from inconsistent speeds during the playback of rekkids Doc
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,491
    I saw the Euro model of that Teac while I was in Norway. Actually looked pretty sweet, surprisingly heavy. I almost bought one there and then realized that would be stupid. Got home and went to the website (US website since I was not there anymore) and it wasn't there. I'm glad to know I'm not crazy. Lol
    The euro model looked great, but I have no idea sound wise.
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.