Home Theater Build/Remodel

Comments

• scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    edited April 2016
    hochpt21 wrote: »
    Cool, I'm glad you have it thought out. And I really hope it sounds good, because I think the cutouts are awesome.

Fingers crossed Paul... I hope it sounds good too.

What I SHOULD have done was built speaker shelves that pull all the way out of those recesses and a roll-top door to close behind the speakers! Oooh, motorized too - on a 12v trigger. I can do it...!
  • scubalab
    Final coat of mud is done! Just need to sponge it (trying something new instead of sanding... Wet sponge), paint, make trim, install new screen and move all the equipment to its new home!

372fczybdnda.jpeg
    1y6ee6bpaajc.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    So a couple comments we haven't addressed yet that I'm aware of..

1. Are you gonna paint the woodworking too or just the drywall?
    2. Acoustic panels... how many, where are we putting them? The DOOR assuming its the same glass one from other pictures could sure use some sort of acoustic panel to help with reflections off the glass......

Otherwise like I've been saying I'm jealous of you....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • scubalab
    Dan - We debated taking the pine down in the room, but decided to keep it at this point. So, at this point, just the drywall will be painted. As for the door, yes, it is a glass door. The plan is to get a thick curtain that can be pulled across it to keep light from the adjacent foyer and kitchen out of the room. Haven't given much thought to acoustic panels in the room when done, but may be worth considering.
  • EndersShadow
    scubalab wrote: »
    Dan - We debated taking the pine down in the room, but decided to keep it at this point. So, at this point, just the drywall will be painted. As for the door, yes, it is a glass door. The plan is to get a thick curtain that can be pulled across it to keep light from the adjacent foyer and kitchen out of the room. Haven't given much thought to acoustic panels in the room when done, but may be worth considering.

If I could make a suggestion... go ahead and to the curtain..... but for SERIOUS listening time and movie time, build a acoustic treatment the size of the door and put it on a set of curtain rods so you can set it up on hooks on either side of the doorway to block it off.

Also "try" to do panels on your first and second reflection point.... IIRC you cant do anything hanging from the ceiling given the height, but at least try to do the first and second reflection points if possible...

Since your a DIY kinda guy, talk to Ryan ( @ZLTFUL ) about the guy on AVS he had help make movie poster pictures so he could get them printed on fabric for his treatments.

You could pick some of your fav movie posters to get put on the fabric, or even some team logo's so they look more like really nice canvas posters than treatments....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Great job, and awesome to have the helper.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • scubalab
    edited May 2016
    Getting closer!! Spent ALL day yesterday and into the wee hours of Sunday morning sanding, painting, re-installing trim, lights, etc., and finally moved the equipment to its new home. This morning, I cut, painted, and installed the trim around the built-ins, assembled and hung the new screen, and just now sat down to relax. Spent about 16 hours yesterday and 4 hours today.

Here's how it looks now. Still have to finish around the door, replace/repair some of the pine wainscoting, replace the AC unit and baseboard with a new split heat pump, replace the carpet, get some new furniture, and make the built-in subs.

r0fh0wjrmbd0.jpeg

Also need to build a more permanent door cover to replace the styrofoam panel in the left of the photo above.
    Post edited by scubalab on
  • chumlie
    chumlie Posts: 8,658
    Nice work !!! Enjoy.
  • scubalab
    edited May 2016
    The colors are Penn State shades (we do live in Happy Valley) - dark navy blue on the screen wall and grey on the left wall and ceiling.

Hope to run the calibration later and Christen the new setup with a nice family movie tonight. We're thinking How to Train Your Dragon. :)
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Nice work Al! Now you can enjoy the fruits of your labor.
  • mrbiron
    mrbiron Posts: 5,711
    Now that you have the gear installed, I'm really diggin that "rack" you've constructed.

Kudos!
    Where’s the KABOOM?!?! There’s supposed to be an Earth shattering KABOOM!!!
  • polk500
    polk500 Posts: 1,171
    Ya done good, I like the colours especially how the light colour trim makes the recesses and the rack stand out.

Enjoy
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    Looks great Sir!
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • mikeyb128
    mikeyb128 Posts: 2,885
    Love that equipment rack, and I like the wood paneling as well. Very cozy. I saw an svs ultra cylinder once and almost fainted at how girthy it was lol
    2 channel:
    Bryston 4B3, Bryston BDA3, Cary SLP05, Shanling CDT1000SE with parts conneXion level 2 mods, Nottingham analogue ace space 294, soundsmith Carmen MKii, Zu DL103 MKii, Ortofon MC 20 MKii, Dynavector XX2 MKii, Rogue Audio Ares, Core power technologies balanced power conditioner, Akiko Corelli power conditioner with Akiko Audio HQ power cable, Nordost heimdall 2, Frey 2, interconnects, speaker and power cables, Focal Electra 1028 BE 2, Auralic Aries Femto, Black diamond racing cones, ingress audio level 1 roller blocks, JL Audio E110 with Auralic subdude, Primacoustics room treatments.
    Theater:
    Focal Aria 926,905,CC900, SVS PB ultra x2. Pioneer Elite SC85, Oppo BDP93, Panamax M5400PM, Minix neox6, Nordost Blue heaven LS power cables.

• scubalab
    Thanks for all the kind words everyone!

Well, I had a chance to run the Audyssey Multi EQ calibration on the Marantz. Let me just say WOW! Boy did it really clean things up with the surround sound. It's truly a pleasure to really hear things that we never noticed before. I'm not saying that the old setup was a slouch by any means. My Anthem was a fantastic AVR and the Rotel I I had running 5/7 channels was great. BUT, the Marantz and the B&K Reference amp are a great pair - with all speakers in their proper positions and the correction done, it really smoothed things out. Even at low volumes, the sound is spot on. My daughter and I kept turning around looking for someone knocking on the door in the other room at one point!

A word on the front L/R speakers in the recesses...

The sound is definitely a bit different, but I have to say that it's not 'bad' to my ears. The first thing I listened to was some music streamed from Spotify. The sound was very full and had some pretty distinct/punchy bass. I actually thought the sub was turned up a bit and the center channel was on. It was in fact, just the two front speakers. I was surprised the other speakers were not 'on'... Once I ran the Audyssey, got things fine tuned, and ran the full surround, things actually sound fine to me. I may play a little with fine tuning further (might try Dan's suggestion plugging the rear ports and re-calibrating). I know it's not perfect, but to us, it sounds great, and the built-ins really opened up the tight space in the front of the room.

We're really excited to watch a full movie this weekend!

I'll keep everyone updated on further progress. I'm looking forward to completing it and eventually building me some DIY SUBS!!
  • EndersShadow
    Google VBSS and look at the AVS thread.... Might be able to make that work for you....
  • Jaybeez
    Jaybeez Posts: 737
    Great build. A dedicated theater room is definitely on my bucket list.
    I'm sure you and your family will enjoy yours for years to come.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,950
    Very nice....especially given the limited space. I wish I could wood work like that!
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited February 2019
    Al, just skimmed this thread to have a closer look at your Flexi build, and have to say after seeing the whole thing, I feel like even *I* need a beer after all that work!
    Fantastic job here, man. And love the planning and love the option for system access from behind.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
  • EndersShadow
    Just wait.... he’s on V2.0 now....
  • scubalab
    edited February 2019
    Thanks guys! This is actually an old thread. However, with what we recently continued in the theater, I was going to revive it anyway!

About a month ago, we ordered new furniture (the BAC - Big A** Couch as my wife calls it). That led to ordering new carpeting. Well, since the bar adjoins the theater, we also had to do new flooring in there too. And then it snowballed. We ripped the bar out, removed the tongue & groove cherry planking on the walls, ripped down some drywall and were down to studs in 100% of the bar and 50% of the theater. That led to new heat, new lights in the bar, rerouted plumbing and electric, new receptacles throughout, modified headers, etc. it’s been a month of work every weekend and some evenings during the week. Finally we were ready for the carpet mid last week. It was installed yesterday morning. I finished the trim yesterday afternoon.

We repainted everything and went with the dark blue on the front wall up across the ceiling and down the back wall. Now just the side walls and the bar are grey.

The theater is now done except for the back wall, the grill on the left subwoofer, and the decorating. The bar will get finished in a month or so. Right now, we’re in need of a break (both physically and financially)!

Here’s a couple pictures along the way.

Old bar (pano of back wall)
    whpqanwwmak0.jpeg

Down to studs in the bar
    w44qnoxq7idf.jpeg
    4fyrjvatq805.jpeg

New drywall lights and flooring in the bar
    kmh2tixuw1qa.jpeg

New carpet, doors, paint and trim in the theater
    ie20nskqddl1.jpeg

Finished floor, walls, lights, trim, and paint in the bar
    ev216zbqzytv.jpeg
    km4walj351sd.jpeg
  • EndersShadow
    Hey your outlets don’t look lined up :wink:
  • EndersShadow
    scubalab wrote: »
    Shut up Dan!

Hey I coulda done worse :wink: