Question for a friend - sound going loud and soft

Options
A friend of mine is having a problem and I told him I’d ask the guru’s here for advice. Here’s the problem as he tells me:

“TV sound is screwy through the receiver. Tuner and turntable sound is fine. Just the TV sound is screwy. Sometimes it’s almost muted so I turn up the receiver then later it grows loud. And weirdly, if there is music and dialogue, the music sounds normal but the voices are barely audible.”

They have a Denon 3802 (maybe it’s a 3806?) receiver with LSi-15 speakers running stereo through an optical cable from the TV the brand of which I don’t know but the TV is only about six months old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    I think he needs to check the settings in the AVR to see if it's outputting stereo or multi-channel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think he needs to check the settings in the AVR to see if it's outputting stereo or multi-channel.

Yes, and from the tv. May as well send 2 channel from the tv if that’s an option...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,982
    Options
    Thanks, fellas. Sounds like it was just as you figured - the setting had been inadvertently switched and when they got it back on stereo everything is good apparently.