Question for a friend - sound going loud and soft

dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,743
A friend of mine is having a problem and I told him I’d ask the guru’s here for advice. Here’s the problem as he tells me:

“TV sound is screwy through the receiver. Tuner and turntable sound is fine. Just the TV sound is screwy. Sometimes it’s almost muted so I turn up the receiver then later it grows loud. And weirdly, if there is music and dialogue, the music sounds normal but the voices are barely audible.”

They have a Denon 3802 (maybe it’s a 3806?) receiver with LSi-15 speakers running stereo through an optical cable from the TV the brand of which I don’t know but the TV is only about six months old. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Comments

• F1nutF1nut Posts: 41,224
    I think he needs to check the settings in the AVR to see if it's outputting stereo or multi-channel.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

• rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,143
    F1nut wrote: »
    I think he needs to check the settings in the AVR to see if it's outputting stereo or multi-channel.

Yes, and from the tv. May as well send 2 channel from the tv if that’s an option...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Emit 10; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Marantz SR-5007; Parasound HCA-1000A, PSB Imagine B, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,743
    Thanks, fellas. Sounds like it was just as you figured - the setting had been inadvertently switched and when they got it back on stereo everything is good apparently.