5.4.2 or 7.2.2

Folks,

I have been working on setting up my 9.2 HT. Would like your suggestions if 5.4.2 or 7.2.2 atmos setup is ideal for a room size of 20x11 approx?

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    It's only HT, 5.1 is plenty.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    It's only HT, 5.1 is plenty.

Right now i have a 7.2 home theater receiver(denon avr-710) with atmos setup as 5.2.1 and its amazing to have atmos around for the 360 degree effect. I am bumping up my system to a 9.2 channel denon x4500 and i would love to have atmos in this too. hence the question if 5.4.2 or 7.2.2 is a better experience having not to lose the atmos factor.
  • F1nut
    You want 360 use headphones.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut
    I'm not the best one to dole out advice for HT. Seems to me it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness with all the speakers trying to make one feel like they are in the middle of a 2 dimensional picture.

President of Club Polk

• 5.2.4 is way better than 7.2.2
    Atmos works best with 4 speakers in the ceiling and will give you much improvement over having two surround back speakers.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    F1nut wrote: »
    I'm not the best one to dole out advice for HT. Seems to me it's gotten to the point of ridiculousness with all the speakers trying to make one feel like they are in the middle of a 2 dimensional picture.
    That's because you haven't experienced Atmos because if you did I'm willing to bet you might have a completely different opinion.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    Folks,

I have been working on setting up my 9.2 HT. Would like your suggestions if 5.4.2 or 7.2.2 atmos setup is ideal for a room size of 20x11 approx?
    How about some pictures of the room? Gut reaction would be 5.2.4.I don't see any reason for 4 subs in one room unless your willing to calibrate 4 subs. 2 subs are always ideal in most rooms unless you only have 1 seating position.
    7.2.2 is also a good setup.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Hello and welcome,

It all depends on a lot of factors.

Are your height (ATMOS) speakers in the ceiling?

How far behind the listening position are your rear surround back speakers more than 5'?

so if you have 4 in-ceiling speakers and real rear surround speakers (5' or more) I would go with 7 main speakers, F/L/C/SR//SL/SBR/SBL and 4 in-ceiling. This would give you 7.1.4 or if two subs are in the room 7.2.4.

The 4500 can process 11 channel if you add an amp. An Emotiva BasX-A300 is a nice amp for front L/R to start with.

I have my setup at 5.1.4 and it is a WOW factor.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • F1nut
    mantis wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    That's because you haven't experienced Atmos because if you did I'm willing to bet you might have a completely different opinion.

No, I guarantee you my opinion would not change because no matter how many speakers one runs the fact remains, the picture is in front of you and it's 2 dimensional. Of course, I never was one to fall for the latest and greatest gimmicky.

President of Club Polk

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Then why do you have a Home theater setup?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • F1nut
    Most of it was given to me.

President of Club Polk