how much room do I need on shelf for McCormack amp to breathe?

pglbook
pglbook Posts: 2,163
edited February 2019 in Electronics
I just got a McCormack DNA .5 Deluxe amp and am now also looking into getting a new entertainment unit for my equipment.

I located a nice wooden console that may work but need to know how much room I need to have on a shelf to let the McCormack amp breathe (do these run hot?).

The McCormack amp is 19" wide x 15" deep and 5 7/8" tall.

The entertainment unit I am thinking about getting has 3 shelves and the bottom shelf is split into two 20" halves. The McCormack amp has heat sinks running down both sides of it. There would only be a 1/2" of space on each side of the amp. Would that be enough? There would be 4" of space above the amp but it would be a tight sqeeze on each side (the unit has 10" of space between bottom shelf and middle shelf; also the unit is 18" deep) The shelves are enclosed in the unit (it may be open in back but no on sides).

The bottom shelf is the only shelf in the unit that would work for the amp because the 2 upper shelves do not have enough space between the shelves for an amp.

It is hard to find units that can accommodate stereo components and this one is a possibility. It is just a question if there will be enough space on the sides of the amp. I know a rack would be best but a rack would be tough to fit along my living room wall, along with 60" TV and SDA speakers, etc. The TV would go on the top of the entertainment unit I am considering.

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Heat rises by convection, 4 inches of top clearance really isn't enough.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pglbook
    F1nut wrote: »
    Heat rises by convection, 4 inches of top clearance really isn't enough.

Thanks. I thought the top clearance would be ok. How much top clearance should I have at a minimum? Also, what about the side clearance?

• Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Manual for the DNA 0.5 says four inches clearance on each side and six inches above and behind. Air flow is really what's needed or heat will just build up inside the cabinet. Most of the heat is going to come upwards off the heat sink fins.

http://www.mccormackaudio.com/manuals/dna05.pdf
  • pglbook
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Manual for the DNA 0.5 says four inches clearance on each side and six inches above and behind. Air flow is really what's needed or heat will just build up inside the cabinet. Most of the heat is going to come upwards off the heat sink fins.

Thanks. The manual was the first place I should have looked; I did not think about that. Thanks again. Much appreciated. I will have to continue looking for another console or rack because the one I was interested in will not allow enough ventilation for the amp.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    pglbook wrote: »
    Thanks. The manual was the first place I should have looked; I did not think about that. Thanks again. Much appreciated. I will have to continue looking for another console or rack because the one I was interested in will not allow enough ventilation for the amp.

The McCormack DNA-125 amp I tried barley got warm to the touch. Could always try it first in your current setup, and if you're noticing temps higher than you're comfortable with, then start looking at new racks.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Another option.
    What are your thought on active cooling?

It may be possible to fit that solution in the rack you like.
    And it's way better than just convection currents. Low speed & high volume should be pretty noiseless.
  • F1nut
    Keep in mind that there are ideal operating temperatures for components. Gear generally sounds better after it has warmed up, so cooling fans may lower the temperature too much.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    F1nut wrote: »
    Keep in mind that there are ideal operating temperatures for components. Gear generally sounds better after it has warmed up, so cooling fans may lower the temperature too much.

This has always been my worry
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    edited February 2019
    Even if the air is being moved away from the amplifier in a rapid fashion, the components inside are still reaching their "ideal operating temperature". It's just that the heat is being dissipated away more quickly. I wouldn't be concerned.

That being said, I'm generally not a fan of active cooling in regards to stereo gear though, unless it's in an enclosed rack or closet.
  • F1nut
    I don't know about that. If the fan is pulling cool air up from the bottom through the enclosure I doubt the components would reach their ideal operating temperature.

President of Club Polk

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I have the DNA 225, and it never gets beyond slightly warm, unless driving the Infinity Kappa 9s hard...
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• zeppage2
    zeppage2 Posts: 196
    AC Infinity AIRCOM T8
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    My DNA-125 never seems "warm" (to the touch) by any means whatsoever.
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Emlyn wrote: »

If the DNA 0.5 is not known to be an egg frier it sounds like McCormack is being kind of conservative. Remember the 80's when we stacked everything on top of each other? Or a Pro rack?

Looking at pictures the face plate is much wider than the cooling fins. Is that where you get your width measurement? If so the heat sink grills look to be a few inches narrower and are oversized. And its only 100 watts. There are plenty of 100 watt amps out there with no cooling fins at all (or they are internal). Do you normally listen at max volume for hours?

I wouldn't put this in an small enclosed space but if your rack is open in the back you should have plenty of air circulation.