Would LSI25s be a good fit for me?

Options
2»

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,546
    Options
    He’s in FL if memory serves
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,064
    Options
    Thats on the other side of the east coast. I'm a bit far for a stop by and tune. Oh well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    Options
    Haha, funny! I’m a ways off from these being ready anyway. Up to my neck with house projects still, then I’ll turn attention to fixing these up. One of the plate amps is out and needs fixing.

Are schematics for these around anywhere? The link in vintage soeakers isn’t working. Would love a schematic for the plate amp.

Anyone have any impressions on doing all the familiar crossover upgrades? Sonicaps, Mills, etc. Worthwhile?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • nspindel
    Options
    Any ideas?
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,134
    Options
    I have had to replace both my plate amps in my LSi25's, and honestly they are the least used system in the house

They have fewer hrs on them than speakers that I have less than 2yrs

I've had them for 9 years now
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nspindel
    Options
    From what Micah was saying there’s a smoking transistor.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    nspindel wrote: »
    From what Micah was saying there’s a smoking transistor.

I believe the transistors the amp uses are still available for about $7-8 each if you only buy one. When you pull it out, plug it in and you will hear it buzz and smoke will come from the bad one after a second or two, make sure you have a flashlights on it because that'll make it really easy to see.

I used these speakers in my system off and on for a year now (got them two days before I made my account here in December 2017) and I have long thought that they were very musical and clear speakers. It takes some time to get the subs tuned in correctly, but once you do they really sound fabulous.