Qobuz...

codycatalist
codycatalist Posts: 2,662
edited February 2019 in Going Digital
Anyone else using it?

I have been having a couple of odd issues like pops and crackles streaming songs. Nothing consistent but every minute or so, switched to Tidal... No problems. Qobuz (surprisingly better than Tidal) sounds amazing but it is concerning getting a random crack or pop listening to music. Not subtle ones either.

For transparency I was using the Casting option to a Chromecast Audio.

If you are using it what platform and how's your experience been?
Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
" I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
"Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
"Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
"Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member

Comments

• lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I spin the silver disc....
    Luddite that I am
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    The technological savant has spoken
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    I actually get pops with Tidal on occasion and it has to do with internet connection. It usually happens only during higher traffic times of the day.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3 wrote: »
    I actually get pops with Tidal on occasion and it has to do with internet connection. It usually happens only during higher traffic times of the day.

Well I know that is the contributing factor but the fact that Qobuz does it while Tidal does not tells me there is either an issue with their coding of the Casting option or there is issues with the encoding of their files.

Keep in mind this was midnight and not a creature was about... Not even a Russ.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    Possibly, but it sounds like Qobuz is also streaming at a higher bit rate which would make the files larger... should put more demand on your connection.

I am just speculating, so if its wrong, ignore me :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • VR3 wrote: »
    Possibly, but it sounds like Qobuz is also streaming at a higher bit rate which would make the files larger... should put more demand on your connection.

I am just speculating, so if its wrong, ignore me :D

Meh it's all speculation on my part as well. I'll have to see if the 24 bit files act this way more frequently or not... Maybe switch the Chromecast to the 2nd band on my router which has very few active devices.

Internet should be up to snuff, 100Mbps symmetrical.

Let me test today and report back. I will say though they did officially open yesterday and worth the time to start a trial.

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I can't get the computer app to stream. It sees the external dac but no sound. As soon as I select a track it locks up. I have unistall the program to try again.

However the Web player works fine and thru the external dac.

The Android app works on my phone, connects via Bluetooth to my car with no problem and sounds great.

I don't know how to solve the computer app problem.

I don't have this problem with Tidal.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    edited February 2019
    Personally, I couldn't put up with that. No matter how good the sound quality is, it would bug me to no end. You would toss out a CDP that did that, and I would toss a music service that did that too.

Providing it wasn't a network issue obviously.
  • I mean I understand they are working out kinks and it does really sound better than Tidal to me but yeah I am going to exercise caution for now.

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I am going to check out the free trial. No mqa for high rez might have a bit more high end extension. Maybe closer to a spinner sound quality.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • erniejade wrote: »
    I am going to check out the free trial. No mqa for high rez might have a bit more high end extension. Maybe closer to a spinner sound quality.

In my opinion it is closer to cd quality, like you said more high end extension. Let me know what you think.

• I'm about one week into my trial period with Qobuz. So far I like it more than TIDAL. I've had TIDAL for a few months and frequently get dropouts when streaming MQA files. So far, that rarely happens with Qobuz streaming their high resolution files. I can listen for several hours and not have a single dropout. I've never had the pops or crackles that you describe. I'm using a LUMIN D2 as a streamer.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Are you streaming the Studio package? 24Bit 96kHz?

• Are you streaming the Studio package? 24Bit 96kHz?

Who me? Yes, I am signed up for that level for my trial.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Just wanting to make sure. Even if you have 24 bit functionality, the album you select has to support it and your settings have to be configured to allow 24bit.

I seem to only have the issue with the 24bit content although who knows it could just be the CCA.

• erniejade
    Lumin D1, Kef ls50W Tidal MQA vs Qobuz mini shootout.
    Using Gary Clark JR song I’ve got my eyes on you.
    Tidal MQA, the buzz in the beginning of the song is much stronger and up front. When the sums kick in, The bass is very heavy and booming. Vocal very up front. As the song gets busy in the middle to the end, at points things sounded very blended and not separated. Top end is a hair rolled off but very smooth. Guitar has a nice crunch to it.

Qobuz, the buzz goes back a foot or two and not as up front. The bass is not as strong but feels a bit more in balance. As the song hits the middle and gets busy, things seem to have a bit more separation or easier to distinguish. Top has a bit more sparkle but, not positive that’s a good or bad thing.

I have not seen Gary Clark JR live so I do not know what version is a better interpretation of him. The MQA version might have been a closer interpretation and it might suppose to sound a bit more mushed when it gets busy so on this song, it’s hard to determine a clear cut winner. I did listen to all of the songs in MQA and on Qobuz. Some songs sounded better on Tidal MQA, some on Qobuz.

I also listened to the new Tedeschi Trucks in MQA and Qobuz, same results. Some songs sounded a bit better on one vs the other. Hard call for me.

I wanted to check it out on the living room rig and the sda3.1 but, plea and amazon fire do not have a Qobuz portion or app so I used my Lumin rig instead. I could have chrome casted it to my chromecast audio but my dac only has 1 optical input and the fire is on that. Maybe when I get more time, I will hook the chromecast audio up.

Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited February 2019
    As much as I like Gary Clark JR. It's not something I would do a shootout with the mastering on all is albums is just not very good IMHO.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Not sure if this applies, but I get pops and clicks when casting with chrome cast to the CXN. No issues whatsoever with direct streaming into the unit. I think it had to do with either my phone or like @dskip said, network issues.
  • Thorton
    Thorton Posts: 1,324
    This is a thread I’m really interested in to see the outcome. I plan to get a trial of both Tidal and Qobuz soon to hear the differences myself. So far, the web is about 50:50 on sound quality. Brian, please keep posting when you do further analysis.
    _____________________________________________________________________________________________
    Ethernet Filter: GigaFOILv4 with Keces P3 LPS
    Source: Roon via ethernet to DAC interface
    DAC: Bricasti M1SE
    Pre/Pro: Marantz AV8805
    Tube Preamp Buffer: Tortuga TPB.V1
    Amp1: Nord One NC1200DM Signature, Amp2: W4S MC-5, AMP3: W4S MMC-7
    Front: Salk SoundScape 8's, Center: Salk SoundScape C7
    Surround: Polk FXIA6, Surround Back: Polk RTIA9, Atmos: Polk 70-RT
    Subs: 2 - Rythmik F25's
    IC & Speaker Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, Signal Cable
    Power Cables: Acoustic Zen, Wireworld, PS Audio
    Room Treatments: GIK Acoustics
  • erniejade
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    As much as I like Gary Clark JR. It's not something I would do a shootout with the mastering on all is albums is just not very good IMHO.

Agreed on this. I ran out of time yesterday and wanted to get down some thoughts.
    knsai27sjgv4.png
    mi7il51asgrn.png

• erniejade
    Today’s selection was a bit different but the same results. The MQA versions were a little bit louder, more bass, top was softer. The Qobuz versions of the same bitrate and version had less bass, more air on top better separation. One example that jumps out at me is Buble Forever Now, top end was much brighter and the separation of instruments as greater where The MQA was louder and more bass but the instruments seemed to be more mushed together. Same on the Gary Clark JR yesterday when it got busy in the songs, more mushed and not as easy to distinguish instruments.

On J.S., same results American Dream, the strings and tambourine were more present and not as blended as the MQA version. On Tourch Song, the standup bass was much more to the right and stood out more on Qobuz.

One more thing I noticed is the MQA versions had better depth but the Qobuz version had better separation.

So far, to sum it up quick, Tidal MQA, a little louder, more bass, softer top, better depth.
    Qobuz, more air on top, better separation and easier distinguishing instruments, wider sounds stage.

I would love to hear others impressions and see if they are hearing the same as I am.

What I am not liking about Qobuz, on the Lumin app, artist results, you cannot tell if it’s a single song or full CD until you click on it.
  • erniejade
    iatowlvs2unz.png
    vm498dcwy6c9.png
    cqbcaem2cajz.png
    nef3h29la4zh.png
  • erniejade
    On the above screenshot, only one of the icons had the full cd. The rest had single songs. If I scrolled down there was several more of the black and white cover that had single songs from the cd. Now this could be a Lumin thing and I have not looked at other app versions.

I also hope plex adds Qobuz like it has Tidal on it.
  • erniejade
    @DSkip have you gotten to try Qobuz yet? I am wondering on the Russo if it might not be a good match. Since the Russo have a wide and revealing sound, if Qobuz would make them sound too much on top or get fatiguing.
  • erniejade
    Cool. Please post your findings here. I want to know if my findings is just Lumin based or other equipment that is more revealing. We all know synergy can be a pain to find and it just could be the synergy on the den rig is leaning towards Qobuz.

Btw if anyone is going passed the 30 day trial on Qobuz, do the yearly rate. That brings it down $50 a year and puts it in the same price as Tidal Hifi.
  • gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Tidal offers a significant discount to veterans .....
    -BK
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Brian, some insight to Qobuz's library as I'm hearing it's not too deep. Specifically with classic Rock is what I'd be more cued into. Check it out and let me know your thoughts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    Canceled Qobuz today. Could never get it to work at home or mobile. :|
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • erniejade
    Tidal has a lot more of what I listen to. Tony is right, Qobuz is missing quite a few.
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    I haven't run into any classic rock that I couldn't find on Tidal.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2