I want to try some XLR'S

I have never used them but now that I have a source, pre, and amp that can use them I want to try them. This is a second system and I don't want to spend a ton of money. I am currently use BJC unbalanced IC's. I was thinking about try their XLR's since they would only be about $100 for four cables. Is there anything worthwhile in going this route?

Thanks
Dagmar

Comments

• motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    FWIW when I was playing around with xlr's vs rca. I found that my MIT shotgun rca's sounded better than my Kimber xlr's in a direct comparison. I did not want that to happen as it meant now I need to hunt down some MIT xlr's. I did that and that ended up being an upgrade over the MIT rca's. Since it's only a C note for 4 cables why not give it shot and then you'll know firsthand? Then again since it's for a secondary rig why not upgrade the cables on the main rig with some really nice cables and use the cast offs for a possible upgrade on the secondary?
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    @motorstereo the main rig is strictly unbalanced IC's. I just figured XLR's could make a noticeable improvement on this system. I guess you are right though at 100 bucks I can use em to tie up a roast if I don't like em. But then maybe there are some reall good ones out there for 150 bucks?

Thanks
    Dagmar
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Signal Cables XLR's are a great value, and great quality.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    Throw Cullen into the mix as well
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited February 2019
    Signal cable analog 2 XLR, $59/2ft pair. What are you waiting for?:

wyhsar76d1oe.jpg

$6/pr for each additional foot needed.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    The design of XLR cables shield out unwanted noise. As long as you get properly terminated and correctly built models I see no reason to not use them. They absolutely help in bad EMI or RF situations when your current analog un balanced RCA connections are getting interference. You will experience a much lower noise floor and your system will sound worlds better. This is a much better upgrade then just simply getting better or higher end RCA cables. Balanced cables are where it's at and is the best connection.
    In the Pro world that's all we use. You can run a XLR cable very long distance with no issues at all.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Never tried XLR's but I like the mechanical locking interface way better than the friction fit RCA's. No more twisting, pulling, and tugging. IMO, of course. :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    MIT unbalanced interconnects use locking RCA's. No twisting, pulling or tugging.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    F1nut wrote: »
    MIT unbalanced interconnects use locking RCA's. No twisting, pulling or tugging.

Yep! Just got a set recently! Gonna place em between the amp and the pre! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Thanks for all of the suggestions. I ordered some Blewgene XLR's they were cheaper than any of the others that were suggested. I will let y'all know how it works out, or not because I suffer from CRAFTS. What was I talking about?
  • afterburnt
    edited February 2019
    Get a load of this: The Schiit site sent me to these for XLR's "AmazonBasics XLR Male to Female Microphone Cable". Does anyone want to give me $7.19 x 4 so I can try em?

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Male-Female-Microphone-Cable/dp/B01JNLTTKS/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507667731&sr=1-1&keywords=amazon+basics+xlr
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    edited February 2019
    I always thought that due to the very nature of the XLR cable and it's balanced/noise cancelling construction, that it wasn't as crucial to get such an extravagant level of materials as say a regular single ended RCA cable.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,043
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I always thought that due to the very nature of the XLR cable and it's balanced/noise cancelling construction, that it wasn't as crucial to get such an extravagant level of materials as say a regular single ended RCA cable.

I thought the same thing and I thought wrong. There's a substantial difference between my Kimber and MIT XLR's with the latter being the better sounding cable.