Ring Pro Doorbell

Hello everyone,
I've been considering a Ring Door bell for a while now and decided to pick one up. What is your opinion of Ring Products? I'm thinking about replacing some outdoor lights with Ring Light/Camera combos. Any thought?
Dan
My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
    Never happen at my house....
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    I dont know much about doorbells. But these work great & leftovers are never a issue :)
    Randy/Maine
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    We have a Ring Video Doorbell Pro and the Ring Home Security system. We’ve been very pleased with both. We’ll be integrating cameras as well. They also work well with the Amazon Echos we use.
    I'm leaning this route myself. My wife loves Alexia

Dan
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    edited February 2019
    What do you hope to get out of Ring and cams? Just curious.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Mine either. I might suggest if one feels the need for video surveillance around their home, it might be time to move out of the area your in.

I get why some want them though. If your the type that gets packages delivered regularly, porch pirates and dubious delivery people can be a problem.
  • mantis
    My wife gets a lot of packages from Amazon. Also use it as a video monitor to screen our un wanted sales people who love to come to the door and try and sell you things.
    The Cam's I want to replace some spot lights and over the garage light for security plus I'm strongly considering picking up the ring home security system as that would be a nice way to secure my home when we are not there.
    Dan
  • msg
    edited February 2019
    Okay, yeah. Nuisance avoidance mostly, then.

I agree that obviously placed cams and a security system can be a deterrent, but the reason I was asking about your goal is because I get the crime-related alerts from that stupid Nextdoor site, and it seems like any time anyone's posted about theft or vandalism, the cam footage has never been of any usable quality for the Police to actually use.

Cams don't stop porch pirates. Criminals know about these cam systems, and it's easy to obscure oneself enough.

I had to unsubscribe from that Nextdoor site. Those people are annoying. All this paranoia about privacy and Big Brother, but who needs big brother when we're Big Brothering ourselves.
    I might suggest if one feels the need for video surveillance around their home, it might be time to move out of the area your in..
    Hehe, criminals don't go to bad neighborhoods to rob.

We had a recent wave here in our neighborhood. Couple of sketchy kids were seen suspiciously loitering around with big backpacks. The theory was that they'd hit some houses, load up, and then a car would come back to pick them up after. How'd they arrive at this theory? Crappy quality home surveillance cam. Maybe it was enough to get some word out, "Be on the lookout for suspicious looking kids who don't look like they belong in your neighborhood getting picked up in a typical midsize car." << element of satire here
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    dago wrote: »

Mine either. I might suggest if one feels the need for video surveillance around their home, it might be time to move out of the area your in.

I get why some want them though. If your the type that gets packages delivered regularly, porch pirates and dubious delivery people can be a problem.
    Having video surveillance doesn't equate to a poor neighborhood my friend. BUT it can help IF something goes wrong. IF someone broke into your home and stole a bunch of stuff, now they are caught on camera and an arrest can take place. Also it's nice to keep your family secure. No reason to make comments that you should move out of your area if you feel the need for a camera or security system.
    And yes today more then ever in history people are stealing packages off of peoples properites. It's a well known fact and major issue. You can live in the highest end neighborhood and still have people break into your home or steal your shipped packages.
    I get you don't feel any need to have any protection at your home. Thats fine you have no more to add to this discussion. I was looking for users and their experience with Ring products.
    Dan
  • mantis
    msg wrote: »
    Okay, yeah. Nuisance avoidance mostly, then.

I agree that obviously placed cams and a security system can be a deterrent, but the reason I was asking about your goal is because I get the crime-related alerts from that stupid Nextdoor site, and it seems like any time anyone's posted about theft or vandalism, the cam footage has never been of any usable quality for the Police to actually use.

Cams don't stop porch pirates. Criminals know about these cam systems, and it's easy to obscure yourself.

I had to unsubscribe from that Nextdoor site. Those people are annoying. All this paranoia about privacy and Big Brother, but who needs big brother when we're Big Brothering ourselves.
    I might suggest if one feels the need for video surveillance around their home, it might be time to move out of the area your in..
    Hehe, criminals don't go to bad neighborhoods to rob.

We had a recent wave here in our neighborhood. Couple of sketchy kids were seen suspiciously loitering around with big backpacks. The theory was that they'd hit some houses, load up, and then a car would come back to pick them up after. How'd they arrive at this theory? Crappy quality home surveillance cam. Maybe it was enough to get some word out, "Be on the lookout for suspicious looking kids who don't look like they belong in your neighborhood getting picked up in a typical midsize car."
    Yes most criminals are not hitting up poor neighborhoods and I don't like in one. I live in a very comfortable upper middle class area where crime is extremely low. Cops rarely ever drive our streets as nothing goes on around here. BUT that doesn't stop me from wanting to protect my home anyway.
    Dan
  • msg
    I understand, Dan. I've suffered a few thefts in my life, and it's a crappy feeling that can linger a good while after, and make you paranoid for a while.

Understanding that nothing's 100%, it's whatever gives you some peace of mind, and a shot at deterring crime a bit, really.
    I disabled signatures.
  • dago
    dago Posts: 38
    2 words for ya Dan....

Tranquilizer darts.

done.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited February 2019
    I had a wired camera/intercom at the front door of the old house. I installed it when I was travelling a lot, and the Mrs was home. The receiver inside the house was upstairs, at a good vantage point, so she could see/talk to whoever was at the door, from a distance.

At my new house, I've been thinking about a wireless setup. That way you can see/talk to whomever is at the front door from anywhere. I believe you can even get alerts as it detects motion. IMO, nice to have. Peace of mind.

Been thinking about the Arlo Pro system.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I forgot about that scene! Love it! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • msg
    Make it happen, Dave!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mantis
    2 words for ya Dan....

Tranquilizer darts.

done.
    LOL
    Dan
  • boston1450
    you actually think that is going to stop lightman1 :)
    Randy/Maine
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    The first thing I did after buying this house was disable the door bell. I absolutely hate the damn things.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• boston1450
    I hate noises too. i use to really hate car horns. But nowwa days people text when they stop at stoplights. That really pizzs me off to no end
    Randy/Maine
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    F1nut wrote: »
    The first thing I did after buying this house was disable the door bell. I absolutely hate the damn things.
    boston1450 wrote: »
    I hate noises too.
    I think it's the people that he hates!
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Nah, I only hate the stupid ones.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    Ring doorbells are a great thing. Nice to see who is at my door when I'm a thousand miles away...
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    kevhed72 wrote: »
    I have literally the best dog ever who will sit on my front step at day or in the yard at night and track any movement in our perimeter. No security issues here!😅cof6n5t6dbaj.jpeg

Nice dog, he has a really cool aura
  • afterburnt

I live in a really nice upscale neirborhood, it's great I really don't have to worry about crime and it makes it real easy to rip off stuff from my neigbors porch because they don't worry much about crime either.
  • afterburnt
    @audioluvr put a giant dog on the end of the chain for added effect
  • F1nut wrote: »
    Nah, I only hate the stupid ones.

That's a lot of people Jesse.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.