Anyone experience Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8?

daddyjt
daddyjt Posts: 2,305
edited February 2019 in Speakers
These poped up local to me - Devore Fidelity Gibbon 8. The reviews are positive, but I was curious if anyone here has put ears to them...

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54876774

pd63ghsx9hgu.jpeg
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    I have never heard of them but they do look interesting.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • agfrost
    agfrost Posts: 2,421
    erniejade wrote: »
    I have never heard of them but they do look interesting.

Was going to say the same thing. Not exactly as a "Heck, I'll buy 'em just to hear 'em" price, unfortunately. (At least, in my world/budget)
    Jay
    SDA 2BTL * Musical Fidelity A5cr amp * Oppo BDP-93 * Modded Adcom GDA-600 DAC * Rythmik F8 (x2)
    Micro Seiki DQ-50 * Hagerman Cornet 2 Phono * A hodgepodge of cabling * Belkin PF60
    Preamp rotation: Krell KSL (SCompRacer recapped) * Manley Shrimp * PS Audio 5.0
  • daddyjt
    I am going to listen to them this weekend... I’ll let you know how they sound.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    How did they perform?
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • I've heard really good things about the Devore line. That seems like a pretty good price as well. I'm looking forward to your impressions.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • daddyjt
    Ran into a snag over the weekend - going tonight after work to listen.

More to come...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    DeVore is a highly respected/reviewed company; unfortunately I've never heard any, or even knew anyone that had a set.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • daddyjt
    I’ve been grappling with how to put into words my impressions of the speakers since listening to them. This experience has actually raised larger questions in my mind, as to how we communicate the experience of sound in a verbal format - IE, tell me what the color red looks like.

Anyway, on to the speakers. In short, they sounded Very good. I had my normal test tracks along, and all the various and particular subtleties I’ve come to expect from them were present on the Gibons. What wasn’t present was any kind of magic. If I had to come up with a single word, I’d say they sounded “sterile”. Certainly not a pair of speakers I’d pay $1,200 for. At any rate, I had a nice conversation with the seller, and don’t regret the trip in the slightest.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• daddyjt
    McIntosh 275, Prima Luna pre, and a Yamaha S700 disc player. He had a TT (Technics), but I declined a vinyl audition, as that’s not my preferred media. I’m not sure on cables - looked like AQ variety.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Never experienced them, but I have experienced one Desira Gibbons and she was an 8
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • daddyjt
    I WAS pretty intrigued by the Prima Luna pre - beautiful unit...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn