Streaming for Dummies

2»

Comments

• codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    Most Al Green's records are missing?!?! What is this Schitt?

EDIT: 1 album from Bobby Caldwell and it's the most recent?!?!?!?!

I'm out of this game no matter how it sounds.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Transferred all my music from Spotify to Qobuz.

Spotify 2456 songs saved
    Qobuz had 1121 of those.

Ouch.

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,557
    From their email: "One important note is the music catalog is not 100% complete yet, but it will be fully populated soon. Therefore it is not necessary to bring missing albums to our attention."
  • Clipdat wrote: »
    From their email: "One important note is the music catalog is not 100% complete yet, but it will be fully populated soon. Therefore it is not necessary to bring missing albums to our attention."

Mhmm and I am supposed to pay while they get their library together? If the full release wasn't for some time I would understand, I mean technically it is still in Beta and I understand the risks and short coming associated with that stage of production. I wouldn't think this will be a good launch for them.

• Clipdat
    edited February 2019
    Mhmm and I am supposed to pay while they get their library together?

Well, they are offering a 30 day free trial. You could see if they get their act together in 30 days time, and if not just cancel.

I generally agree with your sentiment though, it certainly would be nice if they were fully ready to go by this point. I know their US launch has already been delayed several times, so perhaps they've just gotta go through with it this time, even with an incomplete library.
    Mhmm and I am supposed to pay while they get their library together?

Well, they are offering a 30 day free trial. You could see if they get their act together in 30 days time, and if not just cancel.

I generally agree with your sentiment though, it certainly would be nice if they were fully ready to go by this point. I know their US launch has already been delayed several times, so perhaps they've just gotta go through with it this time, even with an incomplete library.

I get the politics too. Their investors most likely won’t wait any longer, licensing 40 million songs ain’t cheap!

I like the interface and so far the sound is better than Tidal. They have far more interactive segments of their interface like full credits down to individual songs, album reviews etc. I have yet to throw it on the two channel but I’ll tell you this....no crashes unlike Tidal.

• Reporting back. Quboz does sound quite better than Tidal. I don’t find many competitive features or performance Tidal has comparing the two. Separation jumped out to me as being FAR superior, doesn’t seem as dark as Tidal can come off but not any brighter.

• Clipdat
    That's interesting that it's sounding better. Is this with the standard 16bit/44.1 content?
    That's interesting that it's sounding better. Is this with the standard 16bit/44.1 content?

The 16bit content is nice and I think has more top end extension. The 24bit is where the separation comes into play.

• DSkip wrote: »
    What are you using to make these observations? Is this via a computer?

Nope this is casted from the app to a Chromecast Audio.

Rest of the chain is an Fx Audio tube buffer, Denon PRA1200 pre, Adcom GFA545, SDA2B (upgraded crossovers).

• machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    DSkip wrote: »

Rest of the chain is an Fx Audio tube buffer, Denon PRA1200 pre, Adcom GFA545, SDA2B (upgraded crossovers).

How do you cast to Chromecast Audio?
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • codycatalist
    codycatalist Posts: 2,662
    edited February 2019
    machone wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »

How do you cast to Chromecast Audio?

On IOs there is an icon on the top right, android you have to tap the icon in the bottom left, like a square with an arrow pointing up. Once there cast is on the top right. Haven't checked on desktop as I use that at work only.

• dago
    dago Posts: 38
    Skip, refresh my memory, what setup are you using to stream at your shows ?
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    I have been changing the sources feeding my Mojo V2 dac.

In the past I have been running JRiver on the Quantum Byte with local music stored on a micro SD card. I control JRiver with their Gizmo app using my cell phone. Tidal is used for streaming but I have to use my keyboard/mouse/monitor for control. Plus I have trouble with clicks and pops streaming Tidal. I decided to make a change.

I decided to play around with a RPi3+. I selected Picoreplayer as my player. I am using the Squeezer app to control both local music and Tidal using my cell phone. I tweaked the RPi by declocking and isolating CPUs.

Then I loaded Logitech Media Server on three different computers.

1. Loaded LMS onto the RPi with a Samsung SSD USB drive for local music storage. This combo came in second with music a little thin.

2. Loaded LMS into a Windows desktop with local music stored on a standard hard drive. This combo came in last with music sounding muddy.

3. Loaded LMS onto the Quantum Byte with local music stored on a micro SD card. This combo yields the best sound.

Next I upgraded my Mojo Joule 5v power supply with a second 5vdc output to power the RPi. This improved the sound but there was a issue with noise during quiet passages. The Quantum Byte and the RPI had to be powered on two completely separate power supplies. The Joule 5v second output is cascaded and not completely separate.

So I traded the Joule 5v in for an Illuminati v3. The Illuminati has two separate power supplies. I was really surprised how much of an improvement the Illuminati is over the Joule. The Joule is a very good power supply.

b5j8ujri3euc.jpg

98nbd36ie4mk.jpg
    0vl3a6yred18.jpg

The result of all these changes are greatly improved sound, rock solid stability and ease of control.

Very happy.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"