Folded Ribbon Tweeters?

smglbrth
smglbrth Posts: 1,458
I listened to some Goldenear Aon 2's this weekend and was blown away by the imaging/realism of the tweets. The bass fell apart with mild "rock" (Fleetwood Mac Rumors) so that was disconcerting. I realize they are bookshelves, however, the speakers (or radiators) just couldn't keep up. I plan on going this coming weekend to listen to the Triton Sevens to see if they are better in that department.

To those of you who own such speakers with the ribbon tweeters - How are they with movies and mild/hard rock? My music tastes have changed over the years but I still like to crank from time to time. These might replace my modded 8t's.

I DO have the go ahead from my wife if I plan on purchasing something in the near future, up to the $1500 level. I've had nothing but 30 year old Polks in the house, ever, so this would be quite a departure for me. My wife, and I, think I have Polk-itis as I'm so used to the sound being a certain way.

Any insights? Thanks ahead of time!
Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2019
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    edited February 2019
    Real basic and not written in stone, ribbons are light and very responsive. But they may not respond as well in their lowest rated middle frequency region where a dome tweeter will. Due to this, ribbon tweeters, IMO, work best in three way systems with a dedicated midrange driver.

I have Salk SS8's which have the RAAL ribbon tweeter. The RAAL is not folded like the ribbon in Aon speakers. The SS8 has a ceramic Accuton mid-range driver. The SS8's can handle any type of music.

rl4fbdqbivit.png
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited February 2019
    The real Heil Air Motion Tweeter/Midranges...

There was a set of ESS AMT1bs for sale here near Wilm. NC. for 400.00. I wanted to go get them REAL BAD but I've had a pair for 30 years already sitting in my living room all those years. They sound AMAZING! Maybe see if a set near you is for sale. They may need the surrounds replaced! But the passive panels aren't that much.
    mohcx9appuib.png
    gk7actdbla9g.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited February 2019
    I have the Legacy Focus SEs. It’s one of the many things that attracted me to them.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Carver ALS and the Sunfire Cinema Ribbons got it right as well. The Sunfires are on budget, the ALS are a steal for the money, if you have 18k to spend.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Many different forms of ribbon tweeters, the key is in the implementation and how well that's done. Some do it well, some not so much.

I haven't met a cheap speaker with a ribbon tweeter that did do it well. Usually the better implementations come with a tad higher price tag.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited February 2019
    You should try to find a pair of Infinity Crescendos, Kappas, or References. All three are great lines of speakers. I've only personally heard the Crescendos with the EMIT-R tweeter (round) but supposedly the Kappas with the EMIT-K are better. I'm not sure where the References fit in.
    They aren't technically ribbons, but they are similar. At least, the R model is not, but the K could be.

You could also get a pair of Martin Logans (the electrostatic panel ones)... I heard a pair at Best Buy (so definitely not the best ones, and they were set up really poorly) and they were pretty amazing. Huge sound stage, pinpoint imaging, great depth And height,and the highs were sweet as can be. The subwoofer base is great as well.
    Note: none of these are real folded ribbons, and the EMIT-Rs are only similar to a ribbon. The EMIT-Ks are proper ribbon tweeters, but still aren't of the folded variety. ;)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited February 2019
    ... and then there are planar tweeters, which aren't ribbons at all :)

The "Zaph" guy has never been a big fan of any flavor of planar tweeters -- not that I agree with him, but in the interest of full disclosure and all that ;)

http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

BTW, the RAAL ribbons mentioned above are big-league drivers, with prices to match :)

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/raal/

• smglbrth
    Wow, ok, all the other speakers mentioned are above my price point. Exception being the ESS, used, but even on the Chicago Craigslist I couldn't find anything. One I did find was the Martin Logan Motion 20 but it's a tad above my max range.

I know there are a few on here that like PSB's, I like the looks of the Imagine X1T or X2T. Granted, not ribbon type tweeters but different from Polk's. I should just check out the Sig's, somewhere. Best Buy around these parts don't really have them anymore and if they do they are just in boxes. To be honest I can't stand Best Buy anyway.

I'm still going over this weekend to listen to the Triton Sevens with some of my own CD's this time. I plan on bringing music that leans towards mid-range.

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions. I do appreciate the advice, as always!

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Here you go...check out this review of the triton 7's from Sound & Vision Nov. 2013 B)
    MSRP in 2013 was 700.00 ea. so 1,400.00 a pr.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-speaker-system
    nor4safrrvdp.png
    drue14nyhx9l.png
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    If one wants to know about folded ribbons, look 20 years back at the Carver Platinum's or Amazing's. It is the same technology. Folded.

Same great end result in a compact space with the same exact deficiencies. Different era/decade.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    If you have decent power you should buy my Infinity Kappa 8’s. You are local and I’m considering putting them up for sale. They will smoke Triton 7’s. Very very nice bass indeeed and EMIT tweeters on front and rear. You could try them out if you wish. I have too many floorstanders, also have a few other pairs that will blow the Triton 7’s away. PM me if you wish to discuss. Don
  • smglbrth
    Thanks again for the info/links and such. I guess I should have stated that I don't have room for "big" speakers anymore. We are back in our ranch house and the living space is 12'x18' with 7.5" ceilings. The listening space is the 12' across section. I am used to towers and the sound they provide when called upon to "drive" music. My wife doesn't like bookshelves on stands, she likes the look towers provide. What can I say? At least she still puts up with me and this never ending "hobby"!
  • coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    I would say get your ears on some of the Triton towers then.. I have the 2+ and I love the sound I get from them .. the Ribbon tweeters to me sound so good and you get the three way ability with the towers.. now the 2+ has powered subs, but I would imagine the 7s or even the 5s would sound amazing.. I actually have my 2+s in a relatively small space myself.. probably 11 by 10 room using the long side.
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22