Folded Ribbon Tweeters?

smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,116
I listened to some Goldenear Aon 2's this weekend and was blown away by the imaging/realism of the tweets. The bass fell apart with mild "rock" (Fleetwood Mac Rumors) so that was disconcerting. I realize they are bookshelves, however, the speakers (or radiators) just couldn't keep up. I plan on going this coming weekend to listen to the Triton Sevens to see if they are better in that department.

To those of you who own such speakers with the ribbon tweeters - How are they with movies and mild/hard rock? My music tastes have changed over the years but I still like to crank from time to time. These might replace my modded 8t's.

I DO have the go ahead from my wife if I plan on purchasing something in the near future, up to the $1500 level. I've had nothing but 30 year old Polks in the house, ever, so this would be quite a departure for me. My wife, and I, think I have Polk-itis as I'm so used to the sound being a certain way.

Any insights? Thanks ahead of time!

Comments

• mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,526
    edited February 10
  • SCompRacerSCompRacer Posts: 7,013
    edited February 10
    Real basic and not written in stone, ribbons are light and very responsive. But they may not respond as well in their lowest rated middle frequency region where a dome tweeter will. Due to this, ribbon tweeters, IMO, work best in three way systems with a dedicated midrange driver.

I have Salk SS8's which have the RAAL ribbon tweeter. The RAAL is not folded like the ribbon in Aon speakers. The SS8 has a ceramic Accuton mid-range driver. The SS8's can handle any type of music.

rl4fbdqbivit.png
    Post edited by SCompRacer on
    Make yourself necessary to someone. Ralph Waldo Emerson

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ & Pro 11+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS* Twisted Pear Buffalo III Dual Mono ESS Sabre32 DAC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *

• Tony MTony M Posts: 7,125
    edited February 10
    The real Heil Air Motion Tweeter/Midranges...

There was a set of ESS AMT1bs for sale here near Wilm. NC. for 400.00. I wanted to go get them REAL BAD but I've had a pair for 30 years already sitting in my living room all those years. They sound AMAZING! Maybe see if a set near you is for sale. They may need the surrounds replaced! But the passive panels aren't that much.
    mohcx9appuib.png
    gk7actdbla9g.png

Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • tratlifftratliff Posts: 686
    edited February 10
    I have the Legacy Focus SEs. It’s one of the many things that attracted me to them.
    2 Channel
    Legacy Focus SE, McIntosh C50, McIntosh MC601's, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Parasound Halo JC3, Marantz SA-14s1, Oppo BDP-105, Technics RS-1500, Furman Elite 15PFi, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Interconnects, Douglas Connection (Furutech) Alpha Speaker Cables, Pangea Power Cables

Theater
    Yamaha RX-Z9, Legacy Focus SE (same as 2 Channel system), Def Tech C/L/R 2500, Def Tech BP-2X, Def Tech Pro-Monitors, Vizio M-75

Office
    Teac NP-H750, Parasound Ztuner, Audio Engine P4N, Grado SR80, Grado iGrado, Audio-Technica ATH-M50, PC running High Rez files

Living Room
    Yamaha YSP-4100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 60"

Bed Room
    Yamaha YSP-5100 digital sound projector, Sharp Aquos 70"

• DSkipDSkip Posts: 15,314
    The issue with folded ribbons is getting a cohesive sound with a boxed midrange. Evolution Acoustics and Rosso Fiorentino are two that got it right, though Rosso uses theirs as a super tweeter. Perhaps you should try to locate a pair of Evolution Acoustics Mmmicro Ones. I’m not sure if they’ll fall into your price range but they were selling used around $1900 a few years ago.

Another option that competes favorably with ribbon tweeters is the Usher diamond tweeter. The Be-718 with diamonds would be an interesting choice as well. It’s not quite a ribbon but also integrates better with the midrange.
    audiothesis.com/

Speakers: Harbeth: 30.2, SHL5+; Usher: Be-10, T-515; Rosso Fiorentino: Elba, Pienza, Certaldo, Fiesole, Volterra; Polk: T50, Signature S15, RTA 15tl, RTi12; Sonner Audio Allegro Unum, Legato Unum, Legato Semis, Legato Duo; Emerald Physics CS-2.8; Klipsch KLF-20
    Preamps: Shuguang S200MK, Dayens Ampino, Parasound P5
    Amps: Shuguang S845MK, Dayens Ampino Monoblocks, Parasound A23
    Integrateds: Triode Corporation TRV-88SER, MastersounD: BoX, Dueventi, Compact 845, Evolution 845; North Star Design Blue Diamond
    Sources: AURALiC Aries, Denon HEOS Link, North Star Design: Magnifico, Supremo, Incanto, Intenso, Venti
    Cabling: Wireworld
    TV: Sony XBR-75X940C
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 19,266
    Carver ALS and the Sunfire Cinema Ribbons got it right as well. The Sunfires are on budget, the ALS are a steal for the money, if you have 18k to spend.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

• tonybtonyb Posts: 30,567
    Many different forms of ribbon tweeters, the key is in the implementation and how well that's done. Some do it well, some not so much.

I haven't met a cheap speaker with a ribbon tweeter that did do it well. Usually the better implementations come with a tad higher price tag.
    HT SYSTEM-2 channel
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Dynaudio Audience 72
    Polk FX500 surrounds
    Cary xciter dac
    Cullen modded Sonos
    Joule la-100 pre
    B&k Ref 4420 amp

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Analysis plus crystal oval ic's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,441
    edited February 11
    You should try to find a pair of Infinity Crescendos, Kappas, or References. All three are great lines of speakers. I've only personally heard the Crescendos with the EMIT-R tweeter (round) but supposedly the Kappas with the EMIT-K are better. I'm not sure where the References fit in.
    They aren't technically ribbons, but they are similar. At least, the R model is not, but the K could be.

You could also get a pair of Martin Logans (the electrostatic panel ones)... I heard a pair at Best Buy (so definitely not the best ones, and they were set up really poorly) and they were pretty amazing. Huge sound stage, pinpoint imaging, great depth And height,and the highs were sweet as can be. The subwoofer base is great as well.
    Note: none of these are real folded ribbons, and the EMIT-Rs are only similar to a ribbon. The EMIT-Ks are proper ribbon tweeters, but still aren't of the folded variety. ;)
    Micah
    music on vinyl; https://www.discogs.com/user/mlistens03/collection
    Technics SL3200 turntable; Shure M97xE cart; Hagerman Audio Labs Bugle 2; NAD C352 integrated; KEF Q150 speakers; Velodyne VA-907 subwoofer; home-built stands, generic cables but will upgrade soon...

desktop; Lenovo G50 running Win10, Yamaha RX-v665 AVR, JBL e30 headphones
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 20,526
    edited February 11
    ... and then there are planar tweeters, which aren't ribbons at all :)

The "Zaph" guy has never been a big fan of any flavor of planar tweeters -- not that I agree with him, but in the interest of full disclosure and all that ;)

http://www.zaphaudio.com/nondomes/

BTW, the RAAL ribbons mentioned above are big-league drivers, with prices to match :)

https://www.madisoundspeakerstore.com/raal/

• smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,116
    Wow, ok, all the other speakers mentioned are above my price point. Exception being the ESS, used, but even on the Chicago Craigslist I couldn't find anything. One I did find was the Martin Logan Motion 20 but it's a tad above my max range.

I know there are a few on here that like PSB's, I like the looks of the Imagine X1T or X2T. Granted, not ribbon type tweeters but different from Polk's. I should just check out the Sig's, somewhere. Best Buy around these parts don't really have them anymore and if they do they are just in boxes. To be honest I can't stand Best Buy anyway.

I'm still going over this weekend to listen to the Triton Sevens with some of my own CD's this time. I plan on bringing music that leans towards mid-range.

Thanks all for your comments/suggestions. I do appreciate the advice, as always!

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 5,652
    Presonus R80
    • "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
    edited February 11
    Here you go...check out this review of the triton 7's from Sound & Vision Nov. 2013 B)
    MSRP in 2013 was 700.00 ea. so 1,400.00 a pr.

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/goldenear-technology-triton-seven-speaker-system
    nor4safrrvdp.png
    drue14nyhx9l.png
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 19,266
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-65, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

• treitz3treitz3 Posts: 12,684
    If one wants to know about folded ribbons, look 20 years back at the Carver Platinum's or Amazing's. It is the same technology. Folded.

Same great end result in a compact space with the same exact deficiencies. Different era/decade.

Tom
    In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence.

The best way to enjoy digital music reproduction is to never listen to good analogue reproduction.
  • dromundsdromunds Posts: 7,593
    If you have decent power you should buy my Infinity Kappa 8’s. You are local and I’m considering putting them up for sale. They will smoke Triton 7’s. Very very nice bass indeeed and EMIT tweeters on front and rear. You could try them out if you wish. I have too many floorstanders, also have a few other pairs that will blow the Triton 7’s away. PM me if you wish to discuss. Don
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,116
    Thanks again for the info/links and such. I guess I should have stated that I don't have room for "big" speakers anymore. We are back in our ranch house and the living space is 12'x18' with 7.5" ceilings. The listening space is the 12' across section. I am used to towers and the sound they provide when called upon to "drive" music. My wife doesn't like bookshelves on stands, she likes the look towers provide. What can I say? At least she still puts up with me and this never ending "hobby"!
  • coolsaxcoolsax Posts: 1,736
    I would say get your ears on some of the Triton towers then.. I have the 2+ and I love the sound I get from them .. the Ribbon tweeters to me sound so good and you get the three way ability with the towers.. now the 2+ has powered subs, but I would imagine the 7s or even the 5s would sound amazing.. I actually have my 2+s in a relatively small space myself.. probably 11 by 10 room using the long side.
    2ch -
    BlueSound Node or Onkyo CP1050 TT->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+