Putting RTiA9 crossovers in my RTi12's, - should I voice match other speakers to A series?

Since the crossovers in my RTi12's are kaput, I ordered a couple of RTiA9 crossovers from Polk which, from my understanding, are a drop in replacement although slightly different than the version on the 12's. Supposedly they are a little less bright. I also currently have CSi5, would it be beneficial to replace that crossover with one from a CSiA6?

Also, I will be buying in-wall and in-ceiling speakers to complete the system. I don't know any yet. Should I be buying the ones that are voice matched for origial RTi's, or the newer ones voice match to the RTiA's?

Thanks!
KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780

Comments

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Interesting. B)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    Since the crossovers in my RTi12's are kaput, I ordered a couple of RTiA9 crossovers from Polk which, from my understanding, are a drop in replacement although slightly different than the version on the 12's. Supposedly they are a little less bright. I also currently have CSi5, would it be beneficial to replace that crossover with one from a CSiA6?

Also, I will be buying in-wall and in-ceiling speakers to complete the system. I don't know any yet. Should I be buying the ones that are voice matched for origial RTi's, or the newer ones voice match to the RTiA's?

Thanks!

Hello,

Why not rebuild/upgrade your current crossovers?

Regards
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Soldering skills .....
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 Posts: 752
    F1nut wrote: »

Thanks!

Hello,

Why not rebuild/upgrade your current crossovers?

Regards

Hey I remember you, I think we got into some heated arguments about 14 years ago B) I hope all is well. Anyway, I lack the skill/patience/desire to mess with it and would rather just swap out the crossover .
  • Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• BjornB17

Wow lol, that costs more than the speakers.
  • Yup. Well worth it too I hear.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    Yeah the pair of those big inductors cost $100 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    If the spec's on the drivers are different, then the crossover may put out sound, but the speaker will not sound like it is supposed too. The crossovers are built to the spec's of the respective drivers.

The VR3 mods are worth every penny and they ARE built to spec.

Not Trey
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BjornB17
    edited February 2019
    Got the RTiA9 crossovers installed in my RTi12's! They work great. The two crossovers I took out do actually appear to have scorched resistors, with the second speaker I opened being worse than the first. The 9 crossovers appear to be 100% identical to the 12 crossover, except they have a blank where the 12 had a resistor.

The process of replacing the crossover takes about 1 hour per speaker. Lots of screws to deal with and you need to be careful not to abrade the silver face.
  • Tony M
    edited February 2019
    Got the RTiA9 crossovers installed in my RTi12's! They work great. The two crossovers I took out do actually appear to have scorched resistors, with the second speaker I opened being worse than the first. The 9 crossovers appear to be 100% identical to the 12 crossover, except they have a blank where the 12 had a resistor.

The process of replacing the crossover takes about 1 hour per speaker. Lots of screws to deal with and you need to be careful not to abrade the silver face.

How much does Polk audio charge for each RTiA9 cross-over, if you don't mind me asking?
  • BjornB17
    Tony M wrote: »

How much does Polk audio charge for each RTiA9 cross-over, if you don't mind me asking?

They charged me $100 each shipped, although I think their list price is $140 or so. Not sure why I got a break.
  • Tony M
    Thank you. Some we get a good break, sometimes we don't.

POLK audio Customer service treats people who want to make their Polk speakers live longer like family 99.99% of the time. I'm glad your RTi12's are alive and well again. Thanks for helping us Rti12 owners out with your experiment. B)
  • BjornB17
    Tony M wrote: »
    Thank you. Some we get a good break, sometimes we don't.

POLK audio Customer service treats people who want to make their Polk speakers live longer like family 99.99% of the time. I'm glad your RTi12's are alive and well again. Thanks for helping us Rti12 owners out with your experiment. B)

I’ve been very happy with Polk service over the years! They even threw in a free csi5 grill since I needed one.
  • Tony M
    I wonder if they have Monitor 4 grills handy too? :D

Man I love Polk Audio customer service!