Just because you can, doesn’t mean you should...

Options
I just don’t have the words for this abomination... and only $500🤣

jr646o7aj4zo.jpeg

https://classifieds.ksl.com/listing/54069654
"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Clipdat wrote: »
    frankenpolk.JPG

Yours?
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    Options
    That pos has been for sale for a very long time.... I think it was posted here last summer.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    Options
    He would be better recycling the box and selling the parts lol
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    Options
    At least match the impedance... sheesh!
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,056
    Options
    Is it all one box or 2 perfectly placed on top of each other? Looks more like a display then a usable center channel or channels.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,958
    Options
    Slap a Bose or Beats badge on it and you have a bitchin' home theater in a box....literally!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,035
    Options
    Go big or go home...

zsfjd88evev4.png

fcijnyo9xhb8.png
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Go big or go home...

zsfjd88evev4.png

fcijnyo9xhb8.png

He doesn't look very happy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    The Col. was always a little irascible :)

83x2xjlx8yft.png

976rmlhaysff.png

b8bpa48aoa2i.png

jra4hd3afu6y.png

... of course, that may be because of the loudspeakers he always had to listen to.

B)

No white labcoats, but he did look a little happier playin' in the lab...

7l3eyl82v05t.png
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    And here I thought it was because he couldn't find a pair of socks to go with his outfit! :smile:
    06sa5hnt0ccq.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • motorstereo
    motorstereo Posts: 2,049
    edited January 2019
    Options

Thank you for posting that as I never knew what went on behind the scenes of my khorns. That looks like a well thought out baffle arrangement for the woofer. It's also much more interesting to look at than the see thru hpm100's.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Go big or go home...

zsfjd88evev4.png

fcijnyo9xhb8.png

• mhardy6647
    Options
    The folded bass horn of the Klipschorn was a very clever and successful design. The Klipsch bass horn was licensed to many enclosure manufactures in the 1950s, including, e.g., Electrovoice. EV made woofers with performance "parameters" (this is pre- T-S parameters, of course, but them ol' engineers did know what they were doing) . EV's Klipsch horn compatible woofers can be identified by "WK" suffixes -- and they were (are) pretty formidable beasts :)

2pm1cdz4i6yf.png
    omy2mm737l1l.png
    (borrowed images; the stamped "K" on the bell cover is barely visible in the bottom photo)

I am not a fan of most of the heritage Klipsch loudspeakers, but I do like the K-horns (even stock). I heard a pair of extremely modified ones in Henniker, NH a couple of years back, driven by big autoformer-coupled soiled solid state Mac amplifiers -- and they were (I must admit!) absolutely superb. Impressively transparent presentation. Good stuff.
  • motorstereo
    Options
    I'd have to agree with you here. I've owned a few pair of the Klipsch heritage line myself and I could not warm to their sound either. I thought it was the horn sound that I didn't like but the k's seem to be a different animal. The amp I always seem to come back to out of the several I've used on them also happens to be a 125 wpc autoformer coupled solid state Mac amp.
  • mhardy6647
    edited January 2019
    Options
    They are indeed [a different animal]. You'll see me knocking the other "Heritage" Klipsches, but I don't you'll find that I've ever posted too many discouraging words about the K-horn.

Cornies were the next best thing, IME/IMO.
  • motorstereo
    Options
    Here's a surprising to me adventure I had just yesterday with my K's. I've been using a Mac 2125 for the past few weeks on my ads 1530's and everything sounded wonderful during their time together. Yesterday I swapped that amp to the khorns and right away I noticed something was wrong. One of the channels sounded distorted. After probably 15 minutes of diagnosis I traced it down to the left channel of the Mac. I pulled the amp out expecting to take it to be fixed as it was that noticeable. Once it was out of the rack though I noticed one of the barrier strip screws was loose. I tightened that loose screw up put the amp back and sure enough the distortion disappeared.

So here was this left channel distortion that I never heard for 2 weeks while the amp powered the 1530's but I picked it right away on much more sensitive khorns. This got me to wondering..... if I'm missing that much distortion on the less sensitive 1530's how much music might I be missing out on???
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Well, there is actually no question that the Col's philosophy, i.e., using limited excursion drivers with acoustic transformers (known colloquially as horns or, to the revisionists, as waveguides ;) ) yields loudspeakers with very low distortion.

The irony of those folks who extol the attributes of one amplifier of, say, 0.008% THD vs.another with, say 0.2% THD* -- but who are using loudspeakers with distortion levels (THD) that exceed 1% across the spectrum -- is palpable. :)

Now, all we've got to do is tie this discussion back to clear plastic speaker enclosues. ;)

Here, how 'bout these? :)

rw9y5ij3jxur.png

* Note, I'm not sayin' that this putative golden ear audiophile isn't hearing
    differences between the two putative amps... but it almost certainly ain't due to the THD levels per se! B)

• Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    edited January 2019
    Options
    It’s local to me, if y’all pitch in I’ll go buy it and demo it. Plus I have an empty LSiC box I could steal the drivers back and make someone here a helluva deal!
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    It’s local to me, if y’all pitch in I’ll go buy it and demo it. Plus I have an empty LSiC box I could steal the drivers back and make someone here a helluva deal!

The owner of that FrankenPolk bought a CS1000P from me when he was building that. He has some crazy ideas.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • reverb
    reverb Posts: 67
    Options
    I bet PWK was a hoot to hang around with. Could only imagine him after a couple of beers!
  • Inspector 24
    Inspector 24 Posts: 1,308
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »

The owner of that FrankenPolk bought a CS1000P from me when he was building that. He has some crazy ideas.

Should we be on the lookout for another FrankenPolk center?

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    dolbyd wrote: »

Should we be on the lookout for another FrankenPolk center?

Hopefully not!
    He does have an obsession with SDA and he thinks it can be used in more ways. I guessing that center is some attempt into that.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3