SDA 1c - Full Mods

Time to let someone else enjoy these fine speakers. Work/mods include: Sonicap Gen 1 caps, Mills resistors, poly switch removed, Cardas binding posts, all drivers Dynamatted and magnets glued, hurricane nuts installed, replaced bass inductor with Erse inductor, Black Hole 5 behind mid woofers, and RDO 194 tweeters. Exterior is all original. I would rate them a conservative 8 out of 10 cosmetically. Pick up 50 miles south of Chicago or I could drive to meet part way. Asking $700.00.

Comments

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    didn't realize you were so close
    GLWS
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Thanks pitdogg. Listening to them right now and I wonder if I am doing the right thing. Same with the DCM Time Windows. I listened to them earlier today while I was on my computer in the office. Sigh. Where abouts are you located?
  • Dr_Wu
    Dr_Wu Posts: 305
    Those are gorgeous, Faustin. I've always thought that the CRS were the right size for our apartment, but still . . . the 1c's are like twice the speaker! Is 200wpc enough power for them? What did you replace the IC cable with?
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Wow @Faustin those look sweet! And a great deal, IMO, since you did all the work! :smile: I'd be all over them (but I have 2 sets already)! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Faustin
    ". . . the 1c's are like twice the speaker! Is 200wpc enough power for them? What did you replace the IC cable with?"

200 wpc is plenty. Right now I am running an Adcom 555 which is 200 at 8 ohms and iirc 350 watts at 4 ohms and alternate between a Bottlehead Quickie tube pre and an Eastern Electric Minimax tube pre. . IC cable is Goertz Alpha Core speaker wire.
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    Snag these while you can! Great deal for some fully modded 1C's.
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • Faustin
    Weekend bump - Price reduction - $650.00
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    I'm preemptively jealous of the new owner. Those are gorgeous examples.

GLWS
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    Very nice set of 1C's at a great price. GLWTS.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,050
    Fully modded 1C's are a very special speaker. Phenomenal soundstage, especially with a tube amp.
    ____________________________________________________________ polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS SVS PB13 Ultra x 2Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400, ADCOM 7807, Panasonic UB420, Sony SCD-C333ES, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • I honestly can’t understand why you would want to sell these and keep the DCM Time Windows. Good speakers, but they cannot handle dynamics or they’ll blow up!
  • headrott
    headrott Posts: 5,484
    edited January 2019
    If you are in Chicago area, you are absolutely "stupid" if you don't buy these for $650. You will not find a better sounding pair of speakers for anywhere close to this price....guaranteed.

Edit: Looking at your photos again, I see you are using the Goertz flat speaker cable. I use this in my home theater. It's good cable. I also recommend the Goertz Python cable. Good stuff.....
    Relayer-Big-O-Poster.jpg
    Taken from a recent Audioholics reply regarding "Club Polk" and Polk speakers:
    "I'm yet to hear a Polk speaker that merits more than a sentence and 60 seconds discussion." :\
    My response is: If you need 60 seconds to respond in one sentence, you probably should't be evaluating Polk speakers.....

"Green leaves reveal the heart spoken Khatru"- Jon Anderson

"Have A Little Faith! And Everything You'll Face, Will Jump From Out Right On Into Place! Yeah! Take A Little Time! And Everything You'll Find, Will Move From Gloom Right On Into Shine!"- Arthur Lee
  • ESavinon
    ESavinon Posts: 3,066
    Interested...
    SRT For Life; SDA Forever!

The SRT SEISMIC System:
    Four main satellite speakers, six powered subs, two dedicated for LFE channel, two center speakers for over/under screen placement and three Control Centers. Amaze your friends, terrorize your neighbors, seize the audio bragging rights for your state. Go ahead, buy it; you only go around once.
  • Faustin
    ESavinon wrote: »
    Interested...

OK. Let me know. Trying to thin the herd :/
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    ESavinon wrote: »
    Interested...

Hoarder! :D
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • Bigbang
    Bigbang Posts: 233
    So good looking and I’m right down the road in Indy. Looks like you did all the modifications right. Damn. I’m tempted.
    I like to listen, tinker, listen and repeat.
  • Bigbang
    I would but new speakers = new amp. I currently have an Adcom 545 matched with my diminutive sda-crs speakers and it sounds really good. If I add the 1c’s I need to at least think about upgrading to an Adcom 555 or better.
  • FestYboy
    So!?

It's not my money being spent, lol :p
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Bigbang wrote: »
    I would but new speakers = new amp. I currently have an Adcom 545 matched with my diminutive sda-crs speakers and it sounds really good. If I add the 1c’s I need to at least think about upgrading to an Adcom 555 or better.

Welcome to our world! It's all about the journey my friend! Hope you get em, you'll never look back! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Faustin
    These are still available. Have had some serious interest but nobody has stepped up to the plate. Might even have a Adcom GFA 555 for sale to make them sing.
  • FestYboy
    edited February 2019
    Faustin wrote: »
    These are still available. Have had some serious interest but nobody has stepped up to the plate. Might even have a Adcom GFA 555 for sale to make them sing.

Given the current going rate for a 555, I dare say you couldn't find a better combo for $1200

* Only basing this number off of the addition of the current asking price for the 1cs and the typical selling price on the Bay for the 555
  • Bigbang
    edited February 2019
    At the end of the day everything is worth what you can sell them for and what you would pay for them. Everything else is just numbers on a page. As well as what you might get divorced over.
  • Beautiful. I used to have a set of these, similarly modded, and they were amazing. Wish I had the space for them, but need to get a basement finished before I could consider.
  • Faustin
    Going, going, Gone! They will have a new residence in the Big Apple. Got to meet a very nice Polkie and his lovely wife today and have some of that naughty audiophile talk. Thanks Rich for helping out a couple of Polkies get this deal done. I am sure the 1c's will be happy in their new home. Thanks Ed. Please mark these sold.
  • Faustin
    The hoarder........ ESavinon. :) And I also included some nice original Polk literature from back in the day. Oh, and la2vegas, from the looks of your sig, you are a hoader as well! :o .
  • SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,350
    It was good to meet Bruce and his wife! Bruce mentioned it would be nice to have a get together for the local Polkies. That would be cool!

I hooked up the 1C's before I store them. They sound great! Ed will wait for warmer weather before heading out this way to pick them up.

Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Glad another polkie got them, it would of been easy to fill the truck up and drive and get them. I thought about it a couple of times glad they were sold a 4th pair of SDa's was something I didnt need but wanted. Congratulations to the soon to be owner.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)