Mogami Bulk Speaker Cable?

2»

Comments

• Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    msg wrote: »
    I terminated with some of Doug's Furez silver-plated copper bananas, which I like with the elastomer inserts
    I have some of Doug's Furez non-plated copper nanners. If yours are built like mine they aren't meant to support the weight of the cables. FYI, they can bend easily.

I've never understood why speaker stands don't come with some sort of anchor hold specifically for attaching cable ties or Velcro straps for supporting cables. I mention that since we have the same stands. Still cooler than you, though!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    edited January 2019
    I twist tightly stuff it in. The factory geometry means nothing at that point as you're going to squash the snot out of it with the set screws anyway. Under the screws it going to almost be solid copper anyway.
    Post edited by pitdogg2 on
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Hermitism wrote: »
    msg wrote: »
    I terminated with some of Doug's Furez silver-plated copper bananas, which I like with the elastomer inserts
    I have some of Doug's Furez non-plated copper nanners. If yours are built like mine they aren't meant to support the weight of the cables. FYI, they can bend easily.

I've never understood why speaker stands don't come with some sort of anchor hold specifically for attaching cable ties or Velcro straps for supporting cables. I mention that since we have the same stands. Still cooler than you, though!

That is a good point on the Furez bananas being very soft since they're copper core. And I agree on the support of cables in general, so as not to pull on connections
    • I use those Velcro ties from Amazon to create a loop around the cable.
    • Then I connect and orient the cable such that it's got an easy, natural bend to the terminals.
    • Lastly, I cinch the cable tightly to one of the posts, and this does a pretty good job of supporting the cable's weight, and relieving the connectors.

I keep trying to be cool, but I just can't pull off the boots thing.
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    I twist tightly stuff it in. The factory geometry means nothing at that point as you're going to squash the snot out of it with the set screws anyway. Under tge screws it going to almost be solid copper anyway.
    Ivan, that just sounds really aggressive. At least buy it dinner first.

I know I'm obsessive, which is why Aaron's havin' a good time ripping on me for getting ready to get ready to be ready to make some cables.

I know there's probably no way *I'm* going to notice anything audible, but I'm a perfectionist, and enjoy "refining the process" I read about "maintaining the twists" in cable geometry and so I just figured why not a little extra attention before jamming it in and calling it Susan.
    I disabled signatures.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    It's Kortney by the way....LOL Sooo what you're sayin is that I should not jump rope with them first ? I'm so confused they said break them in.....

You're Killing me!! Aaron is a great sport and heck of a guy.
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    How's the sound?
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • msg
    edited January 2019
    Hey Loren. Not sure yet. I temporarily swapped in a different piece of gear in the test space, and things sounded good even with the cables fresh, but haven't done any real comparison yet.

This morning, swapped the original SS gear back in so I can run it 24/7 for cable burn-in, and my first impression was that it sounded harsh, thin and edgy at first, but that's just testament to gear needing to warm up, ha. It sounds better now.

SYSTEM
    Squeezebox Touch (WiFi connected)
    - Black Cat Veloce (coax)
    Parasound D/AC-800
    - MIT AVT1 ICs
    B&K Reference 5 S2
    - MIT Shotgun S3 ICs
    B&K 200.2 S2 Amplifier
    - Mogami w3103 w/Doug's Furez silver plated bananas
    Polk LSiM705s
    - Air
    msg's Ears

I'll try to get some more time in there listening this weekend, but got an office move going on, so probably won't get any real time with this until next week. Maybe eves this weekend. At least I can let them run in.

I did notice with Chris Isaak's Baja Sessions (.flac) that it does seem a touch more crisp up top right now than I prefer, but I'll need to hit my reference playlist and really spend time time with the setup over the next week to see what's going on.

Bass is good on this album, and that's not disappointing with the Mogami SCs so far at this point.

I test with a combination .flac rips stored on a local Logitech Media Server (LMS), and a Spotify playlist, because streaming services are my usual source.
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    edited January 2019
    Right, had these Mogami w3103s burning in 24hrs now, and been checking in on the space here and there. I'm having that, "huh, this is sounding pretty good in here..." experience.

I tried a few other different tracks and genres this morning before I head out for some work. Still need to get the time on these cables and have a proper sit down and comparison, but there's still a little sizzle up top on some tracks that I was surprised at, as I was bouncing around to different tracks and genres. I wouldn't exactly call it hot quite to the point of fatiguing, but it was enough for me to turn down the volume.

I plan to give it the 2/2 Treatment (75% in 2 days, 100% in weeks). I wouldn't like it if every track sounded like this. I'm hoping to have some chill time Sunday afternoon/eve, and curious to swap in two other brands to see if it sounds like that on those tracks, but just to spite Aaron, I'm gonna keep saying that for two more weeks.

It also seems like my ears feel stuffy with a fat band in the mids. Not sure what that means. I tried listening from different places in the room, and it's the same. Might just have stuffy ears/sinusy today. (when I was a kid, my Dad used to tell me I had spuds in my ears, 'cause I was always sayin' "What?" to everything).

Of course, the electronic/downtempo/chillout stuff I enjoy and frequently have on for background. But this is not real music, so... Kidding of course (that bit's for you, Drew.) Does bring an interesting realization - I found my taste in music changing as I began to explore audio further, with some types of music showcasing gear characteristics better than others, using this to test for flaws, or smooth them over.

Might even try some of that Take 5 stuff I see you guys talking about. Not the candybar. Wellt, those are delicious, so maybe both.

Here's a photo. I'll finish these up with Techflex, heatshrink and maybe some pantalones.

(With my ocd, I'd normally put the positive up top, but for the sake of not 50 Shades of Greying the conductors at weird angles, I made a sacrifice here)
    dcjzgjgck81c.jpg
    Post edited by msg on
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited January 2019
    Clipdat wrote: »
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Does Scott always turn a 5 minute project into a week long ordeal? FFS... it was like watching someone load windows office from floppy disks.

;)

DaBCWraWsAAKp0k.jpg

I've got a full copy of Windows NT 4.0 around here someplace...
  • msg
    Windows NT - I once heard a user describe NT as "Prison".
    I disabled signatures.