Hafler 500 Upgrade

2»

Comments

• Sweet, some serious capacitance going on there. That thing is going to be a beast once you are done.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    edited December 2018
    Got the board, rectifiers and components for the power supply upgrade.
    yvfty2k85rcu.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Thanks, I really want to get the XL600 freshened up. I love these big Haflers.
    a side benefit to doing PS upgrades* in the XL 280s & 600s is they come from Hafler w/separate rectifiers & cap banks for each channel making the aforementioned* easier.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    To the OP: did MC provide the wire to connect to the binding posts or did you reuse? In my XL280 I found subtle & not-so-subtle improvements using better/heavier wire for the above & PS caps to driver boards.
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • machone
    I replaced the wire B-B+ from the ps to the driver boards but not the wire from the driver boards to the speaker posts.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I got 150 hours on the PS upgrade.
    It's really really good.
    Smooth as silk.....
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Just hit 300 hours.

Really opened up with a powerful bottom end. Wrap-around 3d soundstage. I did not expect this upgrade to have such a positive impact on SQ. I am pleasantly surprised.

Do these 2.3TL's have a limit !?
    :)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I replaced all of the wire running from the power supply to the driver boards and from the driver boards to the binding posts with 12 awg. Also, I replaced the 35 year old thermal paste under the MOFETs. B)
    kdfnvcm7kb7d.jpg
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    What type of thermal paste did you go with?
  • machone
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Well, after rewiring the power supply to driver boards, driver boards to speaker posts and replacing the thermal paste under the MOSFETS the amps mojo fell off. I had an oops o-carp moment. :'(

250 hours later the mojo is back in spades. It took that long for everything to settle and burn in! :)

It is sounding great B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,408
    machone wrote: »
    I replaced all of the wire running from the power supply to the driver boards and from the driver boards to the binding posts with 12 awg.

What wire did you go with?
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • machone
    What wire did you go with?[/quote]

I got it through Musical Concepts.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Hello, any further updates or impressions? Anything you would differently? btw : where did you purchase the oslo power switch, is it lighted?
    Thanks!!
  • machone
    I've had a lot of fun and learned a lot upgrading the Hafler. Very little original except the chassis and mosfets.
    I would not change a thing but I would like to try Musical Concepts new PA7 frontend someday.

Got the HD lighted switch from Musical Concepts.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Just upgraded my speakers to Acoustat 1+1s , My Musical Design D75 dies, and I'm digging out my old DH500. Had purchased many years ago PA-3b boards and dual mono transformers. Going to use the PA-3B boards , transformers, and update to the most recent MC dual mono board and Mundorf 15,000 Caps. Anxious for the parts to arrive to get started. Ordered Mundorf 1500 caps for the on board PS for the PA-3B, will have the Mundorf and a set of Blackgates for the other caps on board. Will run these for a while until I can upgrade again to PA-7s.
  • machone
    The power supply is a definite upgrade. I think you will be pleased. I also added an IEC socket and upgraded the power cord.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• Have mogami wire to construct power cable, along with Connex Power/IEC Plugs Rhodium-Plated Copper , along with IEC rhodium /copper receptacle.
  • levier
    levier Posts: 2
    Machone... I have recently purchased a working DH500, planning the exact upgrades you have done. How is documentation/ instructions from John? I have experience rebuilding, upgrading Dynaco ST400, with success, pretty sure I can follow good set of instruction.

Did you have any issues getting responses to questions? Not familiar with filling solder tracks, is this a hot plate or oven procedure?

Thx...
  • machone
    Excellent instructions and support. John knows Hafler. I used a soldering iron to heat and fill the tracks with solder.
    Have fun!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4