Hafler 500 Upgrade

Last night I upgraded the driver boards on my Hafler DH-500 to Musical Concepts PA-6 Elite.
Powered it up, set the bias and DC offset. All good!
I plan to put it back in the rack tonight and start the burn in process.
These boards are supposed to be quite an improvement as they are more transparent without adding brightness or etching.
We shall see... :)

okc92cbz9psc.jpg

4oqiw2bmp94c.jpg

Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"

Comments

• motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    I am wanting to have this done to my XL600. Looking forward to your review.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,469
    I was not expecting much the first night I turned it on but wow.
    Silent background and huge soundfield with effortless power.
    Got the radio playing continuously to help burn in.
    :)
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• SCompRacer
    SCompRacer Posts: 8,342
    Nice work! Long live DIY!
    Salk SoundScape 8's * Audio Research Reference 3 * Bottlehead Eros Phono * Park's Audio Budgie SUT * Krell KSA-250 * Harmonic Technology Pro 9+ * Signature Series Sonore Music Server w/Deux PS * Roon * Gustard R26 DAC / Singxer SU-6 DDC * Heavy Plinth Lenco L75 Idler Drive * AA MG-1 Linear Air Bearing Arm * AT33PTG/II & Denon 103R * Richard Gray 600S * NHT B-12d subs * GIK Acoustic Treatments * Sennheiser HD650 *
  • machone
    Just a quick update on the burn in process:

24 hrs = not good
    48 hrs = not good
    72 hrs = beginning to change
    96 hrs = now we are talking

The thing I don't get is why it sounded good at power up but at 24 hrs it did not impress and at a level that I was wondering about my decision to upgrade?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• motorhead43026
    I always felt large Hafler amps to be something special, and dependable too.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

• msg
    msg Posts: 9,272
    Nice! Curious to hear your impressions as you get more time on it. That does seem kinda weird that it got worse for a bit before sounding good. Is that normal with these kinds of upgrades?

I have a Hafler Trans Nova 9300 THX that I've been considering recapping. Anyone have any experience with this model?
    I disabled signatures.
  • DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,465
    Sucks. All the killer piece from back when, that I had no hope of buying, are well past their prime now. I envy those who have managed to find a clean unit and had them restored. No small feat, or price. Bravo!
  • machone
    Got enought hours on the new boards to start showing their stuff.
    Hearing vocals and instruments never heard before. Things like brushes on a snare or the crash of a cymbal out the blackness. It's dead quiet at any volume. More transparent than ever but very natural without any harshness. The dynamics are explosive and contolled.
    This amp seems invisible. I am impressed!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Over 400 hours of burn-in. It's bordering on spectacular. Very impressed! B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• motorhead43026
    edited July 2017
    Did you assemble the boards, or did you purchase already assembled?

• machone
    The boards come stuffed and are tested with both the bias and offset preset. The kit includes wire, solder and gold played RCAs, etc. Excellent instructions.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Cool story.
    Glad it's meeting your expectations so well.

I got a 220 sitting in a box somewhere.
  • motorhead43026
    Looks like you replaced the power supply caps as well? Which ones did you opt for?

• machone
    LC500's for the caps. Also it was recommended to replace the heat sink over-temp sensors located under the power module. With age they have been seeing them going bad.
    Call John. He will set you up with what ever you need.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• motorhead43026
    Thanks, I really want to get the XL600 freshened up. I love these big Haflers.

• machone
    Just a quick update on the DH-500.
    It's great. Slowly but surely it just keeps getting better. Smoother with no fatigue; so natural!
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    How is the DH-500 noise with the fan? I've heard mixed impressions whether people hear it. Now that it is burning in, how is the richness compared to original Haflers?
  • machone
    Like night and day compared to original Haflers.
    My fan only runs on low. With everything else in the room turned off I can hear the fan but only if I listen for it. FWIW it does not register on my DB meter.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• pkquat
    pkquat Posts: 742
    TY I've been debating on doing an upgrade, but some really nice used amps are less expensive. Plus I only have a DH-220. I've found much of my stuff does benefit from amps in the 200W range.
  • machone
    pkquat wrote: »
    TY I've been debating on doing an upgrade, but some really nice used amps are less expensive. Plus I only have a DH-220. I've found much of my stuff does benefit from amps in the 200W range.

I get it.

The Musical Concepts stuff is not cheap. I bought my DH-500 back in the 80s, it finally stopped working so rather than change out a few parts to get it going I decided to have them rebuild it using their PA4 driver boards. Since then I have been slowly upgrading binding posts, IEC inlet, power cord, Dynamat and things like that. This time I upgraded again to their PA6 driver boards AND they just came out with a new power supply upgrade using Jensen 4 pole caps and their CRC design. This upgrade sets you up for their dual toroid transformers.

Sky's the limit :#

I does sound great though B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    I see your point.
    It's like a B52 with new engines and avionics.
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    Latest upgrade:

Original 650 watt transformer.
    2ueucy8v3v4t.jpg

New dual 500 watt toroidal transformers.
    k9bq1em0vl7v.jpg

Got rid of the mechanical t-former hum and sets me up to go with a dual mono power supply in the near future.

Also upgraded all of the primary power wiring.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    The toroidal transformers have a little over 100 hours on them and I must say that I am very happy with the amps performance.

I expected mechanical t-former hum to be reduced and it has been reduced to a level that is not noticeable unless I am right next to the amp.

I expected the bottom end to be more dynamic and it is.

I did not expect the whole sound stage to open up x,y & z. Separation of instruments and voices are more precise and the overall image is just spectacular.

Everything is more natural drawing me into the music. Background "noises" in certain songs are now separated and understood. For instance, Muse is one band that uses some weird synthesized notes that sounded like noise but are now understood even I don't know why they would choose such bizarre notes.

I could go on and on but I guess my learn from this upgrade is power wiring and power supply hardware made a huge difference in this amp. And yes, don't forget the power cord............ :D

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    OK, I got the upgrade bug again.

I plan to change out the two existing power capacitors (39,000uF 100Vdc each) and the original rectifier with a dual mono capacitor/rectifier kit. There is one capacitor board and one hyperFRED soft recovery rectifier for each channel and they will be fed by dedicated toroidal transformers (installed earlier this year). Each board holds four snap in style capacitors. I can order the boards and stuff them with my choice of capacitor.

I am looking at eight Mundorf MLytic AG caps (15000uF 100Vdc each).

Does anybody have experience with these caps in a power supply?

Thanks............
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    So nobody here has experience with Mundorf MLytic AG capacitors?
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Certainly not me but nice work!!!
  • machone
    I just ordered the capacitors, board and components for the dual mono power supply upgrade. B)
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4

• machone
    The capacitors are here B)
    7hhzraqo7hxn.jpg
    zdbksvh6u58t.jpg

Waiting on the circuit board kit.

1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Sony PS4